Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roswell 1947

zep73

Yeah, I remember being fascinated at first when I heard of this as a kid, I had no idea yet there even were weather balloons :). Had I found one I would not have know what it was.

That being said, Roswell is a good early case study of vague details, hazed by time, being used and twisted around to support claims and some pretty wild ideas. I am all for questioning things and doubting authorities if something seems smoky, but, this doesn't seem to be much in doubt at all, apart from Friedman, who needed a way to sell his ideas about UFOs and similar, IMO. 

Used to be circus sideshows for money, and then it morphed into mental ones :( 

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Yeah, I remember being fascinated at first when I heard of this as a kid, I had no idea yet there even were weather balloons :). Had I found one I would not have know what it was.

That being said, Roswell is a good early case study of vague details, hazed by time, being used and twisted around to support claims and some pretty wild ideas. I am all for questioning things and doubting authorities if something seems smoky, but, this doesn't seem to be much in doubt at all, apart from Friedman, who needed a way to sell his ideas about UFOs and similar, IMO. 

Used to be circus sideshows for money, and then it morphed into mental ones :( 

JMO

Used to be circus sideshows for money, and then it morphed into mental ones  

It still is...Remember The Roswell Slides debacle in 2015..?

7 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

It still is...Remember The Roswell Slides debacle in 2015..?

Haven't heard of that. I am not too much into UFOs, but, I remember Roswell. What was it about?

Roswell was not listed by any of the UFO groups as an interesting incident until a book was published. It went from obscurity to one of the most important events due to a book.

Tat has been spiced up over time with everything up to a fake video of a necropsy.

The correct term is necropsy. An autopsy is done n humans.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/necropsy

The term necropsy is usually used for non-human animals, with autopsy reserved for human beings.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

No matter how sceptic you are about the UFO phenomenon, you gotta wonder about that mystical incident at Roswell in '47. Right?

Well, perhaps not.

https://www.csicop.org/si/show/what_really_happened_at_roswell

Uhm. No. 

17 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Me, I wonder what happened to the Search function.

It's called a remake! Hollywood does it all the time! :D

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Wow! That's deep!

No, it is not deep - at all. All indications are that nothing extraordinary happened at Roswell. No evidence exists. Whatsoever. Nothing contradicts the official explanation, whereas those believing an ET explanation to the event have explanations full of holes. 

• Like 1

Yes they clame it was weather baloons however it could have been something else like a new secret fighter plane crashing during test flight but it's most likely nothing that happened there.

Edited by Avalanche

1 hour ago, Avalanche said:

Yes they clame it was weather baloons however it could have been something else like a new secret fighter plane crashing during test flight but it's most likely nothing that happened there.

The chances of a secret fighter plane are pretty slim. All point to the rather mundane explanation the air force already put out. I honestly see no other explanations worth considering. 

17 hours ago, Avalanche said:

No one reports large objects. No one reports the smell of fuel. They do reports bits and pieces of less strong materials.

My personal theory is that it was a Mogol Balloon and the team sent to collect the debris and cover up the whole “massive c*** up involving secret equipment” thought they had hit the jackpot when the hayseeds were all talking about it being aliens.

so then we get that first infamous press release and pats on the backs all round. No need to worry about the Reds discovering the Mogol project, everyone thinks it was aliens. 

Then they get the “do you have crap for brains?!?!!” phone call from their superiors who now have to deal with all the people who think aliens crashed in Roswell.

so now comes the retraction of the original press release and the new official story of “weather balloon”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, Not A Rockstar said:

Haven't heard of that. I am not too much into UFOs, but, I remember Roswell. What was it about?

2 discs crashed in New Mexico.

11PM

July 2, 1947

• 2 weeks later...

I know something about this...….I was not there when it happened but was involved quite a few years after it happened. I know that all the "aliens" have died.Some of them survived many years here. There were two crafts each with eight beings in each craft.,one burned up trying to enter earth's atmosphere the other  made a somewhat less than perfect landing that resulted in the death of one of the eight.They misjudged the effects of earth's gravity. The immediate effects of gravity and pressure  were nearly fatal to all of them. Trying to communicate with them was nearly impossible eventually translation started started to evolve.Why did they come to earth? They came from the edge of our system and have been observing earth getting brighter, think about it electric lighting etc being observed form afar. Their decision to come to earth was made after they observed the  A bomb detonations in the mid- forties.Why didn't they leave? I am going to say that Bob Lazar was somewhat correct concerning a certain element that is not available on Earth.I was with them daily for a few years learning about their home,their society, etc.They were most peaceful beings.I will be adding to this, I am getting old and my health is failing and with the help of my grandchild I am posting this.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2018 at 1:14 PM, CeresExpo2000 said:

2 discs crashed in New Mexico.

11PM

July 2, 1947

There were no crashes. Why do you continue to post such rubish?

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, Avalanche said:

Secret fighter plane..? Ahhh, no. The military would not have to have been notified.

The silly thing about the Roswell case, was the claim the silvery material could not be cut, and always returned to shape after being bent, but there it was, lying around in hundreds and thousands of crumpled scraps out in the desert ! Cut pretty well there.

• Like 2

So we have a specialized balloon launch the cover story was a weather balloon. That's what happened.

Funny how this story was a non-story until someone wrote a fictional account of the events in the 1980s.

Here's what I see...

On July 8, 1947, the Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF) public information officer Walter Haut, issued a press release stating that personnel from the field's 509th Operations Group had recovered a "flying disk", which had crashed on a ranch near Roswell.

Works!

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Here's what I see...

On July 8, 1947, the Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF) public information officer Walter Haut, issued a press release stating that personnel from the field's 509th Operations Group had recovered a "flying disk", which had crashed on a ranch near Roswell.

Works!

What works? They immediately switched to the weather balloon cover story. The flying saucer was used because of the recent Arnold report. The small pieces of thin material didn't jive with the saucer account. 

The story has changed now to include dead aliens, two crashes, and whatever floats the boat of the Roswell believer.