Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

RAAF warplane's engine 'destroyed itself'

Black Red Devil

Two Australian Air Force pilots are being praised for their expert response to a dramatic engine malfunction that saw their advanced electronic warfare plane skid across a US runway before catching fire.

Aircraft, believed to be worth $120 million, has been assessed as "beyond economic repair

link

There goes our tax cuts.

• Like 2

It might take a while, but I would imagine a full compensation due to that engine disintegration. That is something that should have never happened on a new aircraft.

• Like 1

The service/maintenance records should help nail down why it occurred.  The compressor may have been faulty or some other subsystem might have caused it.  I'd be interested to know the age and duty-cycle of the aircraft. 

...could be anything and with so many different sub system producers would be next to impossible to blame anyone in particular I imagine. and with no more Australian orders for the F-18 Boeing really hasn’t any interest in playing nice either. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, and then said:

The service/maintenance records should help nail down why it occurred.  The compressor may have been faulty or some other subsystem might have caused it.  I'd be interested to know the age and duty-cycle of the aircraft. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_EA-18G_Growler

• Like 1