Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany lacks plan in case of alien contact

The Caspian Hare

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Your the one worried about a alien invasion. I'm with Frank Herbert and Isaac Asimov. 

I'm not worried about an alien invasion. Doesn't mean it's never going to happen, though. It could happen. But I'm not worried about it, no more than people in San Francisco are going about their daily lives worried about a devastating earthquake.

Never gonna happen

How do you know this? Are you Mystic Meg?

The late, great Stephen Hawking - the great scientist of our era - was worried about the prospect of an alien invasion.

Stephen Hawking has once again warned that we should be wary of seeking to communicate with alien civilisations.

The astrophyicist warned that intelligent aliens may be marauders who plunder resources from fertile planets round the galaxy, conquering and colonising at will.

He's reiterated this worry in a new documentary, Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places.

https://www.indy100.com/article/stephen-hawking-warning-aliens-extra-terrestrial-seti-earth-colonisation-space-7857211

Edited by Black Monk

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The astrophyicist warned that intelligent aliens may be marauders who plunder resources from fertile planets round the galaxy, conquering and colonising at will.

Except there are more resources that are easier to get in  asteroids and stellar nebula. 

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Except there are more resources that are easier to get in  asteroids and stellar nebula. 

If there's a marauding alien race flying around the galaxy looking to take natural resources then if they just happen to be flying near Earth the chances are they'd go for Earth.

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

If there's a marauding alien race flying around the galaxy looking to take natural resources then if they just happen to be flying near Earth the chances are they'd go for Earth.

Spoiler

I think someone have seen Independence Day a little too often. :rolleyes:

What natural resource does the Earth have that isn't obtainable elsewhere ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think someone have seen Independence Day a little too often. :rolleyes:

What natural resource does the Earth have that isn't obtainable elsewhere ?

That's a bit like asking: "Why would anyone mine for coal here? There's plenty of coal elsewhere!"

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Your the one worried about a alien invasion. I'm with Frank Herbert and Isaac Asimov. Never gonna happen unless it's a virus or bacteria brought back. 

Even if an alien virus or bacteria comes here it is unlikely that they would be very dangerous. Microorganism here on Earth have generally evolved to live in a very specific enviroment and as such are unlikely to find those conditions here. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

That's a bit like asking: "Why would anyone mine for coal here? There's plenty of coal elsewhere!"

People mine for coal because they need coal and they mine where it is cheapest and easiest to access. So that brings us back to my original question, what are there on Earth that is easier to access here, rather than elsewhere ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So that brings us back to my original question, what are there on Earth that is easier to access here, rather than elsewhere ?

Like I said it's easier to mine asteroids and run a ram scoop through a nebula. Space is also full of free floating hydrocarbons ( i.e. oil). Why invade for common substances? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Like I said it's easier to mine asteroids and run a ram scoop through a nebula. Space is also full of free floating hydrocarbons ( i.e. oil). Why invade for common substances? 

I have asked this question on many occasions and, like in this thread, no one seems to be able to give a good answer. 

I can recommend this Youtube channel if you are interested in aliens and space in general:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g

This video is particularly relevant for this discussion:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

People mine for coal because they need coal and they mine where it is cheapest and easiest to access. So that brings us back to my original question, what are there on Earth that is easier to access here, rather than elsewhere ?

I don't know. I've never been to another planet elsewhere in the galaxy and studied its natural resources.

I also don't understand your logic. If there is an alien race just travelling around the galaxy, from planet to planet, taking their natural resources then they MUST go to planets. I can't see why one of those planets can never be Earth. 

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

I don't know. I've never been to another planet elsewhere in the galaxy and studied its natural resources.

I also don't understand your logic. If there is an alien race just travelling around the galaxy, from planet to planet, taking their natural resources then they MUST go to planets. I can't see why one of those planets can never be Earth. 

Why MUST they go to planets ? All of the elements on Earth are also available on other planets, moons, asteroids and comets. As Piney wrote you could also build a ramscoop to pick up elements floating around in space. Do you not agree that a civilisation that is suffiently advanced to be able to build interstellar spaceships would also be able to mine in space ?

Using the resources I just mentioned, you could built space colonies with millions of times the area of the Earth, so why would they wan't a small planet that most likely wouldn't even have suitable living conditions for them ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I can recommend this Youtube channel if you are interested in aliens and space in general:

I have one

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I have one

I've seen that one. Science fiction is filled with stupid aliens. 

I ahve no problem with fiction being like that, in fact I like science fiction, but people thinking that real life is like Scifi is kinda funny to me.

• Like 1

If the aliens are smart, they'd take a look at all the fantastic wonderful world shattering weapons there are on Earth and think again about invading, until they can come back with all the Earth shattering weapons that they have and pulverize everything except what they want in the first place, I bet they come for the fried chicken, its the best in any Galaxy

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2018 at 1:46 AM, Black Monk said:

I'm not worried about an alien invasion. Doesn't mean it's never going to happen, though. It could happen. But I'm not worried about it, no more than people in San Francisco are going about their daily lives worried about a devastating earthquake.

OK... so tell... how you made your house to ET invasion resistant. 

On 10/09/2018 at 10:37 AM, third_eye said:

If the aliens are smart, they'd take a look at all the fantastic wonderful world shattering weapons there are on Earth and think again about invading, until they can come back with all the Earth shattering weapons that they have and pulverize everything except what they want in the first place, I bet they come for the fried chicken, its the best in any Galaxy

~

Pirzola

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/09/2018 at 4:00 PM, Astra. said:

I'm not so sure either if planets like Earth are so rare as you have mentioned above. Because according to Kepler data, there could be as many as 40 billion similar Earth sized planets orbiting in habitable zones around sun-like stars... including some in the Milky Way.   

Maybe... maybe not. As far as we know none of the extra solar planets discovered so far have any of the really useful features that we have here on Earth. 

On 05/09/2018 at 4:04 PM, toast said:

Where do you got the information from that extraterrestrials do need the same level of temperature, gravity, water, weather, landmass, rotation, magnetic field protection and atmospheric composition that we have here on Earth? Curious.

Obviously if they want the planet they will require very similar conditions to us. That doesn't mean all alien species would of course, but the ones that do may well be interested in the Earth.

On 05/09/2018 at 6:31 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Er, hello anyone home ? If they are advanced enough to have cracked interstellar travel they are presumably also advanced enough to be able to terraform planets. They would presumably also be able to build space colonies. In both cases they wont need to bother with indigenous life, they could tailor make it to suit their own requirements, which as toast just pointed out are unlikely to be exactly the same as ours. As they are unlikely to have the same biosphere as we do, they would need to change that to make it haitable, so why not choose a planet with no life to begin with ? Why bother with colonising a planet where the inhabitants have nuclear weapons (quite a lot of them) ? 

Just a suggestion, but maybe before you get sarky you should check if you actually have a point ? Hollywood is not allways right you know. :rolleyes:

Er, hello, anyone home. If they were interested in our planet they would require similar conditions to us. It would be far easier to neutralize us with a fast acting bio-weapon from space without us ever knowing anything about it, let alone firing nuclear weapons at them, than custom build an environment somewhere else.

On 09/09/2018 at 9:01 PM, Piney said:

Yup, we haven't found one like ours yet. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2018 at 12:56 AM, Occams Razor said:

Maybe... maybe not. As far as we know none of the extra solar planets discovered so far have any of the really useful features that we have here on Earth. 

Much more to explore then.

The best plan

On 9/10/2018 at 1:54 AM, Black Monk said:

Why would they go for earth and not the asteroid belt? 

On 18/10/2018 at 3:56 PM, Occams Razor said:

They may not have any features that are useful only to life as we know it.

Edited by Black Monk

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/9/2018 at 1:30 PM, Black Monk said:

Well, it could be earth, of course. But if there are nearly a trillion planets in this galaxy to mine, how long would it be before it would be earth's turn?

I agree with another poster. Getting minerals/ores from an asteroid is easier. In the end, I'm not losing sleep over it.