Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mahayana


Amita
 Share

Recommended Posts

The spiritual path essentials for aspiring to and cultivation of the Bodhisattva life for the benefit of all beings is given in this King of Mahayana Sutras.  It is titled the Avatamsaka Sutra. Thomas Cleary has a complete translation in English, which he titled the Flower Ornament Scripture. 

Here is an outline of the sutras's teachings, based on Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua's commentary.

http://www.buddhistbooks.info/avatam/content.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do hope you are not going to start offering Sutra chanting lessons ...

~

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From my perspective, I think the Buddha's original teaching did not include all this stuff. All sorts of embellishments were added later. I mean, monks have nothing to do but to sit around and annotate the Buddha's original message.

I consider the Buddha's message simple and devoid of religion. He was more a psychologist than a religious leader. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

From my perspective, I think the Buddha's original teaching did not include all this stuff. All sorts of embellishments were added later. I mean, monks have nothing to do but to sit around and annotate the Buddha's original message.

I consider the Buddha's message simple and devoid of religion. He was more a psychologist than a religious leader. 

I think this is the case with a lot of spiritual leaders.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think this is the case with a lot of spiritual leaders.

Yes, I  don't think Jesus wanted to start a new religion based on his teachings. I think he would be aghast at what has happened. The first thing he would do in the second coming would be to go directly to a synagogue. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Yes, I  don't think Jesus wanted to start a new religion based on his teachings. I think he would be aghast at what has happened. The first thing he would do in the second coming would be to go directly to a synagogue. 

I honestly think if someone like Jesus actually existed. He tried to create a simplified religion based on his native one with an equally simple philosophy behind it. The rest of it was made up. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amita said:

The spiritual path essentials for aspiring to and cultivation of the Bodhisattva life for the benefit of all beings is given in this King of Mahayana Sutras.  It is titled the Avatamsaka Sutra. Thomas Cleary has a complete translation in English, which he titled the Flower Ornament Scripture. 

Here is an outline of the sutras's teachings, based on Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua's commentary.

http://www.buddhistbooks.info/avatam/content.html

The link lists a load of chapters, what one do you want to discuss and why?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I do hope you are not going to start offering Sutra chanting lessons ...

~

If they keeps the Theosophy out of it they'd be in good shape.......

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

I do hope you are not going to start offering Sutra chanting lessons ...

~

Nope, but if what you read inspires you, then by all means memorize, copy out the passage or recite it aloud.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

The link lists a load of chapters, what one do you want to discuss and why?

Read the links first and comment on whatever you like or do not like.  If you find nothing of interest or value, do not waste your time or mine.  I am not seeking converts to Mahayana.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Amita said:

 I am not seeking converts to Mahayana.

Then what's the actual point of this thread?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Amita said:

Read the links first and comment on whatever you like or do not like.  If you find nothing of interest or value, do not waste your time or mine.  I am not seeking converts to Mahayana.

It does not work that way, you started the thread, you bring the bread to the table not the whole supermarket......you honestly think people are going to read all those chapters and then start discussing what they like or dislike? 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Such hostility toward a person opening a dialogue without the presumption of telling you exactly what you must discuss...

???

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Then what's the actual point of this thread?

"Here is an outline of the sutras's teachings, based on Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua's commentary."

From the OP.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

Such hostility toward a person opening a dialogue without the presumption of telling you exactly what you must discuss...

???

Having a direction is better than starting a thread with "read this".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

It does not work that way, you started the thread, you bring the bread to the table not the whole supermarket......you honestly think people are going to read all those chapters and then start discussing what they like or dislike? 

 

Firstly, there are no 'chapters' only tiny summations of each one, followed by a little commentary on said chapter.  Not all the sections may be read, but I would be happy to be wrong.

I honestly think that if a topic read as a chapter heading or some passage within it strikes one's fancy, then that specific area of thought may call up questions or comments.

But if only the silent lurkers read and the rest cannot initiate a comment or question without me leading you by the hand - so be it.

Edited by Amita
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Amita said:

Firstly, there are no 'chapters' only tiny summations of each one,

No chapters? Have you put up the wrong link in your opening post? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're not leading me by the hand. The more complicated a belief structure, the worse it is. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

No chapters? Have you put up the wrong link in your opening post? 

 

The entire chapters of the Avatamsaka Sutra are not there, only the title of each chapter, plus what I wrote before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

From my perspective, I think the Buddha's original teaching did not include all this stuff. All sorts of embellishments were added later. I mean, monks have nothing to do but to sit around and annotate the Buddha's original message.

I consider the Buddha's message simple and devoid of religion. He was more a psychologist than a religious leader. 

Early Christians had enough to say about Jesus. It included Christ being separate from Jesus. They're not one and the same. Non apologist historians are now saying Paul's writings as tainted. Scholars aren't sure what Paul really said. What they know is Paul's Christ wasn't crucified on Earth. Early Roman Catholics had their agenda for saying many things because they're the ones who presented the compiled books. Y'all know what happened to the heretics. If study the Catholic religion you'll realize they've kept many of their pagan ceremonies including magic. Rome have used religion to control their subjects. You'd believe in ancient Rome's magical might and obey if you're a slave pagan from the bunnies because of the tall buildings and glory around you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Amita.  Many come here to share their beliefs. We might be a bit cynical and impatient at times.  You are not the first with a message of great import.

Image result for funny raven at window  saying do you have a moment to talk about the allfather

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The more complicated a belief structure, the worse it is. 

Mahayana is based on a simple intention & motivation - reduce suffering & increase wisdom for beings over many lifetimes by living selflessly & encouraging others to live likewise.

One set of four vows outlines the path:

Beings are countless, I vow to liberate them.  Merit and wisdom are boundless, I vow to accumulate them.  The Dharma of the Buddha is boundless, I vow to master it.  I vow to realize the unsurpassed, right enlightenment of a Buddha.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You're not leading me by the hand. The more complicated a belief structure, the worse it is. 

That is why I appreciate Tendai. The Japanese simplify everything. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

That is why I appreciate Tendai. The Japanese simplify everything. 

That's the thing with life. The more useless stuff you add to it, the worse it gets.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

That's the thing with life. The more useless stuff you add to it, the worse it gets.

Except Legos. Man must have Legos to find true Daremo. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.