Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy Phone Experiences

Samhain

One time I was home alone with my older brother and my father and we were playing a game in the living room while my mother was shopping at the store. She had been gone for a while when our home, landline phone rang. I got up to see who it was, but it said OUR home number with my father’s full name (like it does when we call people). I picked it up and I heard nothing but breathing — deep, heavy breathing before they hung up. Now I know people can easily spoof phone numbers, but still, it was creepy, and back then I was younger and didn’t realize it was possible. 

(This next experiences happened to my mother)

Often, she’d get weird texts from a guy calling her by the name of Kim. My mother would repeatedly tell him that he has the wrong number, but he’d repeatedly ignore her and keep asking when they can go get coffee. That wasn’t the creepy part. Shortly after, it got creepy. One day he texted her calling her Kim again, and my mother said again that she isn’t Kim. This time, the guy replied saying he knows she isn’t Kim, and he knows that she’s <name of my mother>, and that she’s “the lady in the white car.” We still don’t know how he knew all that, but until my mother ended up changing her number for a certain reason, then it stopped. Even though she blocked the guy, she kept getting weird texts from other numbers.

I don’t know if that’s linked to this thing that happened to my mother, but back when she was in high school, she’d get calls at her house saying how the person saw her walking to school everyday. My mother and her family didn’t know who it was of course since you couldn’t see the caller ID back then. Eventually, it stopped but then started up again when she was in her 20s and worked in retail. The same person (a man’s voice) would say her name and say the place she worked, saying how he always watched her. They eventually changed their number and it never happened again.

This next thing all started years ago - back when I was a little kid (about 10). We’d always get emails, texts, and calls. In the calls, nobody would say anything, we’d just get all these weird calls from different numbers. Sometimes we’d even get phone calls from businesses we didn’t sign up for, or people calling for certain names that we didn't know. But the emails and texts were a different story, however. We would get messages explaining things we said, things we were doing, things somebody can only know if they’re in the house, or sadly, if they had access to the webcam and speakers. Which they did, we believe. Because even when a lot of my family wasn’t home, we still got messages saying things we were doing or things we were saying. To this day we still don’t know what happened except that over the years as we changed our information and IP addresses it stopped.

This last thing happened when my friends and I were together. We were at one of their houses and were home alone. We were watching a scary movie when the phone rang. The friend who’s house it was got up to check and shortly came back saying nobody was on the other line, just somebody breathing and probably the wrong number. I thought it was creepy but probably nothing until we got another call. This time I went with my friend when the same person called again — an unknown number. This time, the person said stuff. It was a man’s voice. He said that he can see us (even though he just said “you”), and that he’s coming to get us. My friend wasn’t the one to get scared so she told him to screw off and that she sure believed he was watching us. But that was when the train passed near my friend’s house — the train that usually passes often at night. And then, we heard the same train passing from the other end of the phone, at the same exact time. My friend screamed and hung up, calling her parents. They came home but nobody was around the house, and the number never called back.

Those are just a few of the creepy things that I have experienced with the phone or the internet. What’s your experiences?

Edited by Nightsoul

Wow, never got anything like this. If I did I would have called the police, especially with the emails and stuff. Creepy.

2 hours ago, Nightsoul said:

I picked it up and I heard nothing but breathing — deep, heavy breathing before they hung up. 

Jeeze, people are still doing this! 

In the days before mobiles and internet, the term 'heavy breathers' often refered to pervs phoning people up on the landlines.

Do you know if you are in the phone directory?

Was the police called, because they certainly should have been.

30 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Jeeze, people are still doing this! 

In the days before mobiles and internet, the term 'heavy breathers' often refered to pervs phoning people up on the landlines.

Do you know if you are in the phone directory?

Was the police called, because they certainly should have been.

I’m not sure if we were in the phone directory, and no, the police weren’t called. That person never called back and we just thought it was either somebody playing a joke, or a glitch or something. 

I had a creepy one with a stereo system. I had this older teenage cousin who was pretty much an alcoholic at that point anyway but he was drunk as fell asleep, I was in the room playing a game. The stereo came on by itself and was playing something backwards, like it sounded like devil stuff but that's how some things played backwards sounds. He woke up, freaked out and kicked the stereo then unplugged it and it happened again at which point he was in a rage and threw the whole stereo outside.

Today I would say it was perhaps caused by an intense EMR spike. Basically acting similar to power beaming or radiative wireless power transfer. Strong enough and at the right frequencies to power on the stereo briefly until the energy decayed. Hearing of other devices that power themselves on without any batteries or plug, I would say it's something very similar at least, especially considering that they always come on briefly and go off and something like EMR spike would explain how energy can bypass any turn on switch.

However in your case, it sounds far less paranormal and for whatever reason someone was trying to get under someone in your families skin. I've had the heavy breathers on the phone gag a number of times myself. Pretty sure it was an ex g/f. What I did was pretend to hang up the phone and I just listened carefully. I could faintly hear a tv on in the background then a sigh before they hung up, think my ex was just being her weird self the only way she knew how. my favorite paranormal phone call story was one I found on YouTube. Probably fake but it told of how a man had a dream, tried to call himself and got the answering machine. When he woke up, he heard his dream on his answering machine in real life. Allegedly real but who knows, it was good though.

The only incident that really creeped me out was a creepy note in my icloud account that was stored online, something I don't intentially do btw. It was dated June 8 at 8:01 pm 2015 and it just said "Don't you like me Carrie?" Carrie, is my wife's name. Not only did I have no recollection of this the real brain teaser for me was why would I type that out? I mean I would have never had a reason to, we never really fight nor would I write that and store it on my icloud server...so that was baffling but i'm sure there's some logical explanation. Maybe I was doing some kind of test and just forgot?

Edited by NightScreams
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

I had a creepy one with a stereo system. I had this older teenage cousin who was pretty much an alcoholic at that point anyway but he was drunk as fell asleep, I was in the room playing a game. The stereo came on by itself and was playing something backwards, like it sounded like devil stuff but that's how some things played backwards sounds. He woke up, freaked out and kicked the stereo then unplugged it and it happened again at which point he was in a rage and threw the whole stereo outside.

Today I would say it was perhaps caused by an intense EMR spike. Basically acting similar to power beaming or radiative wireless power transfer. Strong enough and at the right frequencies to power on the stereo briefly until the energy decayed. Hearing of other devices that power themselves on without any batteries or plug, I would say it's something very similar at least, especially considering that they always come on briefly and go off and something like EMR spike would explain how energy can bypass any turn on switch.

However in your case, it sounds far less paranormal and for whatever reason someone was trying to get under someone in your families skin. I've had the heavy breathers on the phone gag a number of times myself. Pretty sure it was an ex g/f. What I did was pretend to hang up the phone and I just listened carefully. I could faintly hear a tv on in the background then a sigh before they hung up, think my ex was just being her weird self the only way she knew how. my favorite paranormal phone call story was one I found on YouTube. Probably fake but it told of how a man had a dream, tried to call himself and got the answering machine. When he woke up, he heard his dream on his answering machine in real life. Allegedly real but who knows, it was good though.

The only incident that really creeped me out was a creepy note in my icloud account that was stored online, something I don't intentially do btw. It was dated June 8 at 8:01 pm 2015 and it just said "Don't you like me Carrie?" Carrie, is my wife's name. Not only did I have no recollection of this the real brain teaser for me was why would I type that out? I mean I would have never had a reason to, we never really fight nor would I write that and store it on my icloud server...so that was baffling but i'm sure there's some logical explanation. Maybe I was doing some kind of test and just forgot?

That’s creepy. I think you would remember if you did type something like that, because as you stated, you wouldn’t write something like that.

Maybe it was paranormal? Or maybe it was somebody messing around that got access to our account? 

I’ve had a lot of experiences with hackers hacking into things, so that’s what I’d go right to thinking to, so I’m not too sure. :wacko:

2 hours ago, Nightsoul said:

I’m not sure if we were in the phone directory, and no, the police weren’t called. That person never called back and we just thought it was either somebody playing a joke, or a glitch or something. 

If you were in the directory then that is how the heavy breathers got numbers. 

Or could have been someone playing a joke, a pretty stupid one at that.

If you are ever concerned that someone is stalking you, are trying to worry you by sending emails, texts or phoning, always go to the police first before anything else. 

Do not even thing about going down the paranormal route, that is foolish. 

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If you were in the directory then that is how the heavy breathers got numbers. 

Or could have been someone playing a joke, a pretty stupid one at that.

If you are ever concerned that someone is stalking you, are trying to worry you by sending emails, texts or phoning, always go to the police first before anything else. 

Do not even thing about going down the paranormal route, that is foolish. 

The paranormal route was out of the question. We didn’t go to the police about the heavy-breathing stuff, and weird phone calls, but about the thing where we were getting emails and texts saying what we were wearing, doing, saying, etc. - then we went to the cops but they didn’t do much. The creepiest thing after they took down our report and investigated the emails and texts with their IT guy teams, the IP address would come back to a place in California we visited the year before. And then sometimes it wouldn't come back as if the person sending them weren’t traceable. After a while there was nothing really the cops could do. Even after checking all our devices to see more information they still couldn’t find anything. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

The paranormal route was out of the question. We didn’t go to the police about the heavy-breathing stuff, and weird phone calls, but about the thing where we were getting emails and texts saying what we were wearing, doing, saying, etc. - then we went to the cops but they didn’t do much. The creepiest thing after they took down our report and investigated the emails and texts with their IT guy teams, the IP address would come back to a place in California we visited the year before. And then sometimes it wouldn't come back as if the person sending them weren’t traceable. After a while there was nothing really the cops could do. Even after checking all our devices to see more information they still couldn’t find anything. :unsure:

Ip addresses can be changed a certain number of times and the internet creeps often have more than one computer. 

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ip addresses can be changed a certain number of times and the internet creeps often have more than one computer. 

Yes that’s true. We changed our IP address because of this - which didn’t help, they still seemed to get in somehow. My uncle is an IT guy and he got us a VPN, however after a free trial it required us to start paying for it (even though with his job he was able to get it free for longer). During this time of having the VPN, and a program on each device which caught any activity of remote access, he caught one thing. 

After a while though we didn’t have that program (called Umbrella) or the VPN because of money wise we had to pay.

13 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

where we were getting emails and texts

You have started another thread on very similar lines, is this all connected? 

If it was a different incident i would say someone in your household is given out far to much information over the internet about themselves. You may be doing this without even realising it.

16 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

Even after checking all our devices to see more information they still couldn’t find anything

If the person deleted their account and was using more than one computer and had different ip addresses, it would be very difficult for the police to trace them. 

Sometimes the police can only find the device by catching the person first.

8 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

We changed our IP address because of this

But did you change your email address? 

You have started another thread on very similar lines, is this all connected? 

If it was a different incident i would say someone in your household is given out far to much information over the internet about themselves. You may be doing this without even realising it.

If the person deleted their account and was using more than one computer and had different ip addresses, it would be very difficult for the police to trace them. 

Sometimes the police can only find the device by catching the person first.

You never know, maybe somebody was giving too much information out at one point. I know for sure that even though I have given information out to my online friends,  I know that they aren’t capable of what happened. The way this person typed sometimes was just not their age. 

We still don’t know what exactly happened except that there was a news article about a family that was almost going through the same thing - at some points the IP address of the emails traced back to our IP address but wasn’t us - and in that case it wasn’t them either. 

But did you change your email address? 

Email addresses, phone numbers, you name it. Yes, we have. It always came back.

10 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

Email addresses, phone numbers, you name it. Yes, we have. It always came back.

Just looked at your profile, thats enough info for some.

When did you actually change your email address for the first time?

11 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

for sure that even though I have given information out to my online friends,  I know that they aren’t capable of what happened.

Do you know the online friends in person ?  How many do you have which you have nevet met and only recognise by a photo?

Remember, if you can lie on line (as you did to him) , so can others.

Edited by freetoroam

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Just looked at your profile, thats enough info for some.

When did you actually change your email address for the first time?

Do you know the online friends in person ?  How many do you have which you have nevet met and only recognise by a photo?

Remember, if you can lie on line (as you did to him) , so can others.

Well the online friends I had were after all this was over. Before this, and while it was happening I didn’t go on any social so I didn’t have any online friends, just ones from school. The online friends I had after that were in the same state as me and we were all supposed to meet up for a concert. Two of them met up without me because I couldn’t go. But they were constantly helping me think of ways to be able to go to the concert - which involved  meeting at the mall to make it seem to our parents that we just met, had the same interest for a band and wanted to go to a concert coming up - but I never could go. 

I agree that you can know some things about people just by telling them a little information, and it’s enough for some; but while all that was happening I tot one didn’t share anything to online people as I was barely on websites and  stuff.

About the email changing - we changed the main email for the first time a few months after all the stuff wouldn’t stop.

(Creepiest thing that happened was my brother and I were alone, and my father was at work. My mother announced she was going into the shower. Halfway into that my brother and I decided to check the email for any other weird stuff that might’ve came. Sure enough one email from somebody with a weird name - it was actually a wrestling name, which is weird because wrestling is something that’s liked in my household. The email said (and I don’t remember exactly) but something along the lines of “you went into the shower. I enjoyed the show. Maybe somebody is in your attic.” We ran to tell my mother. When she came out and we went to show her, the email was deleted!)

Edited by Nightsoul

23 minutes ago, Nightsoul said:

while all that was happening I tot one didn’t share anything to online people as I was barely on websites and  stuff.

May i just remind you, you have another thread where again you have a "stalker" and you do have an online accounts. So if you started your accounts after this, as this is what you are indicating, then you jumped out of the frying pan and straight into the fire.

A pattern has emerged between the 2 threads, you have been given out far too much info about yourself. (As i said, which you either will not admit to or you juat did not realise )  You have recieved too many weird phonecalls and texts and after that  you began getting weird emails on social media. 

Edited by freetoroam

49 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

May i just remind you, you have another thread where again you have a "stalker" and you do have an online accounts. So if you started your accounts after this, as this is what you are indicating, then you jumped out of the frying pan and straight into the fire.

A pattern has emerged between the 2 threads, you have been given out far too much info about yourself. (As i said, which you either will not admit to or you juat did not realise )  You have recieved too many weird phonecalls and texts and after that  you began getting weird emails on social media. 

The weird emails and texts were mainly to my family, not directed at me. 

The other thread was not in any terms a stalker. It was just a creepy person who was saying/asking unsettling things, so I got creeped out and stopped replying. They only ever kept messaging if I was there and kept asking the question to an extent before giving up. They never hacked anything, or got more into it somehow. They just stopped…

My great-aunt had a series of silent calls, until one night she got a silent call and as she hung up someone said in a sing-song voice "you should say goodbye first".
She promptly rung dad who told her to ring the local coppers, tell them the story, how old she is and that her nephew was a police officer. 
She got a new phone, the number traced and blocked and increased patrols in her area for a month.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

My great-aunt had a series of silent calls, until one night she got a silent call and as she hung up someone said in a sing-song voice "you should say goodbye first".
She promptly rung dad who told her to ring the local coppers, tell them the story, how old she is and that her nephew was a police officer. 
She got a new phone, the number traced and blocked and increased patrols in her area for a month.

Creepy but interesting.