Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Some Arctic ground no longer freezing

5 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Nikita Zimov was teaching students to do ecological fieldwork in northern Siberia when he stumbled on a disturbing clue that the frozen land might be thawing far faster than expected.

Zimov, like his father, Sergey Zimov, has spent years running a research station that tracks climate change in the rapidly warming Russian Far East. So when students probed the ground and took soil samples amid the mossy hummocks and larch forests near his home, 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle, Nikita Zimov suspected something wasn't right.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/08/news-arctic-permafrost-may-thaw-faster-than-expected/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Myles

This was what I thought could be one of the "positives" of global warming.   Not that I am pro global warming, just trying to be optimistic. 

There should be more farm-able land.   Also, more discoveries should be made. 

Doug1o29

This is what is expected from global warming.

Doug

MWoo7
Posted (edited)

Where are the hordes with baskets and hippie bags galore PLANTING REDWOOD SEEDS and quinoa bird seed and just seeds galore, can't count on anyone these days not even the huggers BOO!

e8269838b5b95ac93c3d1caa42dde96e.jpg

Edited by MWoo7
typo fun !

Setton
On 20/08/2018 at 4:15 PM, Myles said:

This was what I thought could be one of the "positives" of global warming.   Not that I am pro global warming, just trying to be optimistic. 

There should be more farm-able land.   Also, more discoveries should be made. 

More arable land at the poles but less in equatorial regions. And since earth is (more or less) spherical, there is more area at the equator so less arable land overall. 

• Like 2