Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest known alligator is in his 80s

UM-Bot

Though not a fan of gators and their lethal ripping teeth and highly aggressive nature, at his exceptional age I would give a pass and not harm it at all... yet still stay a safe distance.

Negative. Saw one born in 1920s in Joburg s Africa at Cascades city resort

At 80, he probably hasn't lost a step and probably hasn't mellowed either, regardless of how well fed he is.

I've seen gators who are apparently tame, but you won't see me getting close to one. Treat potentially deadly creatures like this with respect.

I was raised swimming with alligators and have never known anyone to have a problem with them here. I think that over the many years here in East Texas any alligators that acted aggressive got killed so that eventually they evolved into rather shy and non aggressive subspecies. It is common to see an alligator of substantial size swimming just outside of the swimming area at the state park here. It gives the kids a thrill but has never resulted in any sort of a problem.

• Like 1

Misleading headline.  Should read "Oldest Captive Alligator".   In 2014, Rupert, the world's oldest known animal (500 years) was killed after escaping a sanctuary near Vicksburg, MS.  http://www.moron.com/500-year-old-alligator-killed/  ......   I would imagine somewhere from DFW to the east coast there is more than likely a few more ancient alligators.  Nonetheless, the Belgrade zoo and the one in SA should be proud of their (young) captive alligators.

This is sad..

A woman died after being attacked by an alligator while trying to save her dog on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina Monday morning, according to local authorities.

www.google.co.nz/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/victim-dies-apparent-alligator-attack-hilton-head-island/story%3fid=57286335

Edited by taniwha

7 hours ago, ETXKiowa said:

Misleading headline.  Should read "Oldest Captive Alligator". 

The headline is "Oldest known alligator" - it doesn't discount the possibility that there older ones out there somewhere.

7 hours ago, ETXKiowa said:

In 2014, Rupert, the world's oldest known animal (500 years) was killed after escaping a sanctuary near Vicksburg, MS. 

How could they have known it was 500 years old ? There would need to be records dating back to the 16th century.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taniwha said:

This is sad..

www.google.co.nz/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/victim-dies-apparent-alligator-attack-hilton-head-island/story%3fid=57286335

We have a thread about that. It's here:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/320783-alligator-attacks-and-kills-woman/

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:21 AM, Saru said:

How could they have known it was 500 years old ? There would need to be records dating back to the 16th century

Skeletochronology

2 hours ago, ETXKiowa said:

Skeletochronology

Is there any record of such an analysis being carried out on this particular animal ?

In fact, are there are any other sources at all claiming that Rupert is 500 years old ?

I can only find the one you linked to and it doesn't seem that credible.

This gator was in the news last year.

Alligators are the marsh mellows of crocodilia compared to Aussie salt water crocs,who can kill just by looking at you :angry:

Edited by openozy

8 hours ago, openozy said:

Alligators are the marsh mellows of crocodilia compared to Aussie salt water crocs,who can kill just by looking at you :angry:

I don't know. Going near a bluejay nest with young can be quite hazardous..:wacko: