Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

Ice confirmed at the Moon's poles

40 posts in this topic

The Caspian Hare

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7218

In the darkest and coldest parts of its polar regions, a team of scientists has directly observed definitive evidence of water ice on the Moon's surface. These ice deposits are patchily distributed and could possibly be ancient. At the southern pole, most of the ice is concentrated at lunar craters, while the northern pole's ice is more widely, but sparsely spread.

• Like 1

lightly

Fascinating !   The link also mentions that water has been detected beneath the moon's surface.  I never knew that.

seanjo

I thought this was old news, I know they definitely detected ice underground, but I also thought they'd spotted surface ice a few years back

• Like 3

paperdyer

Perhaps there is an underground well or two somewhere.  I wouldn't have thought the Moon had enough of an atmosphere to keep water in the open, even in shaded areas.

Bunzilla

I remember maybe ten or so years ago, when they were trying to claim that water was super rare and it would be hard to find anywhere. Now we're finding it everywhere.

Waspie_Dwarf
5 minutes ago, Bunzilla said:

I remember maybe ten or so years ago, when they were trying to claim that water was super rare and it would be hard to find anywhere. Now we're finding it everywhere.

Not true, it has always been known that water is common. What was considered rare (and to an extent still is) is finding the conditions for water to exist in LIQUID form.

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
3 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I wouldn't have thought the Moon had enough of an atmosphere to keep water in the open, even in shaded areas.

It doesn't have enough of an atmosphere to keep water in LIQUID form. At low pressures water sublimes, meaning it changes directly from a solid to a gases form (or vice versa) without passing through the liquid form. If the temperature remains low enough, as it does in these craters, then the ice will not sublime. Else where the ice has turned to vapour and, because of the moon's low gravity field, escaped into space.

• Like 2

cyclopes500

Nope. Its where the soup dragon lives. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWd0wgM8Qeq-vb8Xo-_Ye666_KPHNNeDWedZ4AFgedBwaHhGJr

• Haha 1

taniwha

How much of Earths water came from the moon i wonder?  

seanjo
7 minutes ago, taniwha said:

How much of Earths water came from the moon i wonder?  

Other way round, The Moon was formed from debris that was expelled when the Earth was hit by a large object.

taniwha
Just now, seanjo said:

Other way round, The Moon was formed from debris that was expelled when the Earth was hit by a large object.

Not sure if that's been proved.  

Somedays I wonder if it has snowed on the moon its that brilliant white, sure would of looked amazing if it was once entirely covered in ice though.

Coil
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, seanjo said:

According to another theory, the Moon-Mother singled out the Earth in a hot state and gave her almost all its life principles so that evolution could develop physical forms on earth. The same thing happened with the satellites of other planets.

Edited by Coil

Waspie_Dwarf
3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Somedays I wonder if it has snowed on the moon its that brilliant white, sure would of looked amazing if it was once entirely covered in ice though.

Except it isn't brilliant white, its surface is actually dark grey-black.

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
53 minutes ago, Coil said:

According to another theory, the Moon-Mother singled out the Earth in a hot state and gave her almost all its life principles so that evolution could develop physical forms on earth. The same thing happened with the satellites of other planets.

I think you need to look up the word theory: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

• Thanks 1

seanjo
2 hours ago, Coil said:

That's not a theory, that's a fairy tale.

seanjo
5 hours ago, taniwha said:

I think it's a mostly proven theory. The Moon is "white" because of reflected light from the Sun.

RoofGardener
Posted (edited)

I don't understand why ICE is interested in the moon ? Surely there can't be any illegal immigrants there ? :unsure2: 

Edited by RoofGardener

RoofGardener

Oh wait.. no.. I get it. They're after illegal ALIENS ? :rofl: 

UFOwatcher
20 hours ago, seanjo said:

I thought this was old news, I know they definitely detected ice underground, but I also thought they'd spotted surface ice a few years back

Yes, You are right. I remember them talking about it existing at the poles.

" The result comes from an instrument on India's Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, which explored the Moon between 2008 and 2009. "

• Thanks 1

Waspie_Dwarf
20 hours ago, seanjo said:

The title of this thread really says it all. Previous evidence was not direct proof, ice was the most likely explanation but the evidence was not unequivocal. These latest results have directly detected water ice and so the results are unequivocal.

The presence of ice at the moon's poles has moved from being hypothesis to fact.

• Thanks 1

Coil
3 hours ago, seanjo said:

That's not a theory, that's a fairy tale.

And you remember how the infusoria shoe multiplies.

Delenie-kletki.png

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, Coil said:

Delenie-kletki.png

What does that have to do with water on the Moon ? :wacko:

• Like 1

seanjo
2 hours ago, Coil said:

Delenie-kletki.png

Please do enlighten me.

Bunzilla
23 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Not true, it has always been known that water is common. What was considered rare (and to an extent still is) is finding the conditions for water to exist in LIQUID form.

My mistake. Still, there certainly has been a lot of liquid water discovered since then. Just not in this case. At least, that we know of... I wouldn't have expected to find liquid water on Mars either. So who knows.

lightly

This might be a stupid question....but,. Is there any water "vapor" in space  ?

• Like 1