Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ice confirmed at the Moon's poles

The Caspian Hare

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7218

In the darkest and coldest parts of its polar regions, a team of scientists has directly observed definitive evidence of water ice on the Moon's surface. These ice deposits are patchily distributed and could possibly be ancient. At the southern pole, most of the ice is concentrated at lunar craters, while the northern pole's ice is more widely, but sparsely spread.

Fascinating !   The link also mentions that water has been detected beneath the moon's surface.  I never knew that.

Perhaps there is an underground well or two somewhere.  I wouldn't have thought the Moon had enough of an atmosphere to keep water in the open, even in shaded areas.

I remember maybe ten or so years ago, when they were trying to claim that water was super rare and it would be hard to find anywhere. Now we're finding it everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bunzilla said:

I remember maybe ten or so years ago, when they were trying to claim that water was super rare and it would be hard to find anywhere. Now we're finding it everywhere.

Not true, it has always been known that water is common. What was considered rare (and to an extent still is) is finding the conditions for water to exist in LIQUID form.

3 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I wouldn't have thought the Moon had enough of an atmosphere to keep water in the open, even in shaded areas.

It doesn't have enough of an atmosphere to keep water in LIQUID form. At low pressures water sublimes, meaning it changes directly from a solid to a gases form (or vice versa) without passing through the liquid form. If the temperature remains low enough, as it does in these craters, then the ice will not sublime. Else where the ice has turned to vapour and, because of the moon's low gravity field, escaped into space.

• Like 1

Nope. Its where the soup dragon lives. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWd0wgM8Qeq-vb8Xo-_Ye666_KPHNNeDWedZ4AFgedBwaHhGJr

How much of Earths water came from the moon i wonder?  

Just now, seanjo said:

Other way round, The Moon was formed from debris that was expelled when the Earth was hit by a large object.

Not sure if that's been proved.  

Somedays I wonder if it has snowed on the moon its that brilliant white, sure would of looked amazing if it was once entirely covered in ice though.

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

Other way round, The Moon was formed from debris that was expelled when the Earth was hit by a large object.

According to another theory, the Moon-Mother singled out the Earth in a hot state and gave her almost all its life principles so that evolution could develop physical forms on earth. The same thing happened with the satellites of other planets.

Edited by Coil

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Not sure if that's been proved.  

Somedays I wonder if it has snowed on the moon its that brilliant white, sure would of looked amazing if it was once entirely covered in ice though.

Except it isn't brilliant white, its surface is actually dark grey-black.

53 minutes ago, Coil said:

According to another theory, the Moon-Mother singled out the Earth in a hot state and gave her almost all its life principles so that evolution could develop physical forms on earth. The same thing happened with the satellites of other planets.

I think you need to look up the word theory: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

I don't understand why ICE is interested in the moon ? Surely there can't be any illegal immigrants there ? :unsure2: 

Edited by RoofGardener

Oh wait.. no.. I get it. They're after illegal ALIENS ? :rofl: 

20 hours ago, seanjo said:

I thought this was old news, I know they definitely detected ice underground, but I also thought they'd spotted surface ice a few years back

Yes, You are right. I remember them talking about it existing at the poles.

" The result comes from an instrument on India's Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, which explored the Moon between 2008 and 2009. "

20 hours ago, seanjo said:

I thought this was old news, I know they definitely detected ice underground, but I also thought they'd spotted surface ice a few years back

The title of this thread really says it all. Previous evidence was not direct proof, ice was the most likely explanation but the evidence was not unequivocal. These latest results have directly detected water ice and so the results are unequivocal.

The presence of ice at the moon's poles has moved from being hypothesis to fact.

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

That's not a theory, that's a fairy tale.

And you remember how the infusoria shoe multiplies.

Delenie-kletki.png

1 hour ago, Coil said:

And you remember how the infusoria shoe multiplies.

Delenie-kletki.png

What does that have to do with water on the Moon ? :wacko:

23 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Not true, it has always been known that water is common. What was considered rare (and to an extent still is) is finding the conditions for water to exist in LIQUID form.

My mistake. Still, there certainly has been a lot of liquid water discovered since then. Just not in this case. At least, that we know of... I wouldn't have expected to find liquid water on Mars either. So who knows.

This might be a stupid question....but,. Is there any water "vapor" in space  ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lightly said:

This might be a stupid question....but,. Is there any water "vapor" in space  ?

Do you mean in general 'limitless' space, or water vapor around other planets ? 

18 hours ago, seanjo said:

I think it's a mostly proven theory. The Moon is "white" because of reflected light from the Sun.

Interesting. I wonder what colour the ice is?

Here's a link on the Theia hypothesis you might like.  Food for thought anyway. :)

https://www.quantamagazine.org/what-made-the-moon-new-ideas-try-to-rescue-a-troubled-theory-20170802/

13 hours ago, seanjo said:

Please do enlighten me.

The states that our earth and man passed before the biological life of the earth:

https://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/English/HR1981/GA011_c12.html

Contents of the book:

https://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/English/HR1981/GA011_index.html

1 hour ago, Coil said:

The states that our earth and man passed before the biological life of the earth:

https://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/English/HR1981/GA011_c12.html

Contents of the book:

https://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA011/English/HR1981/GA011_index.html

Please stay on topic, thank you. From the site rules:

• 3j. Thread derailment: Do not derail or 'hijack' threads with posts that are either off-topic or designed to draw attention away from what is being discussed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Depends on the Ice, sometimes it's blue.

like the link.

Now you got me wondering if the sun strikes the ice at just the right angle ...

Nah, we wouldn't see rainbows would we?  

Sorry I've been up too late..:P..