Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bull/Brush Guards vs Deer. Worth it?

Dark_Grey

Are bull bars worth the money? I recently acquired an F150 (5.4l V8 cause I identify as a traditional male,) and I plan to spend more time commuting back and forth on mountain passes. Living in Alberta, I'm no stranger to erratic, suicidal deer. 

They. are. every where.

My first thought is that a sturdy bull bar attached to the front bumper should keep deer from at least flying up over the hood, if not protect the front of the truck entirely. As I did some reading, it seems opinions are about 50/50 for or against. The ones that are against say that bull bars/brush guards won't protect you from more than a shopping cart as they typically attach to a set of flimsy brackets under the bumper. There are guards that will attach directly to the frame but they may still bend back in to the grill causing damage. That being said, a lot of comments I read said they had personal experience with bull bars protecting their rig with only minimal damage. 

So what do you guys reckon? Does it depend on the brand of guard? Are they all useless at 60mph? Should I save my money and take my chances without one?

picture_php_pictureid_187943_62f8f30ce36  

This chap hit the deer in the background, the deer missed the guard completely and clipped the driver's corner. A full wrap around guard may be the best choice if these guards are worth it at all..

Maybe save the stash and have bullet proof screen panels instead ...

~ *its a joke ... c'mon*

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, third_eye said:

Maybe save the stash and have bullet proof screen panels instead ...

~ *its a joke ... c'mon*

Of all the replies to get on a thread like this one, yours was the most unexpected lol

• Thanks 1