Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people want to believe in Bigfoot?

Still Waters

Sixty years ago this fall, Bigfoot first stepped into the public consciousness. “Giant footprints puzzle residents,” a headline in the Humboldt Times announced. The small Northern California newspaper reported that a road construction crew had discovered humanlike footprints that were a massive 16 inches long. The paper was the first to give the mysterious animal that made the prints its memorable moniker—“Bigfoot”—and the creature has been stomping through the American imagination ever since.

“Interest in the existence of the creature is at an all-time high,” the paleontologist Darren Naish has observed, even though “there’s nothing even close to compelling as goes the evidence.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-so-many-people-still-believe-in-bigfoot-180970045/

• Like 9

I believe it's scepticism, not to totally trust consensus science.

Most people think scepticism is about rejecting the supernatural, but it's not. Scepticism is about not being sure.

And that's one thing religious people have in common with hardcore physicalists: They are equally sure!

• Like 1

As sense of mystery.

• Like 5

I think its in a time when people think they've solved all life's puzzles and know it all,along comes a big hairy possibility.

With all the reports, there is not a single piece of real evidence. And at the same time, some stories can not be distrusted.
There can be only one explanation: "they" do not have bodies. All "sightings" are telepathic. And therefore, all visual materials are fakes.

If we take into account all cases of observations, then there will be a definite picture:
there are three types of messages:
1 Identification errors
2 Hoaxes
3 Real contact with demons

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Agishe said:

With all the reports, there is not a single piece of real evidence. And at the same time, some stories can not be distrusted.
There can be only one explanation: "they" do not have bodies. All "sightings" are telepathic. And therefore, all visual materials are fakes.

If we take into account all cases of observations, then there will be a definite picture:
there are three types of messages:
1 Identification errors
2 Hoaxes
3 Real contact with demons

Demons have moved on from causing mental illness?

As a completely personal opinion it's something, like pretty much all cryptids, that I would just really like to be true. It's nice for life to have mystery and intrigue. I love biology and have spent 1000s of hours of my life reading books about animal study or watching countless nature docs so it only seems natural that cryptozoology and by extension, Bigfoot would peak my curiosity and hold my interest. I personally don't believe Bigfoot exists but I also can't bring myself to say with 100% certainty that it doesn't or couldn't even though it seems bizzare to me to think that it does. It's a quandary for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Demons have moved on from causing mental illness?

It does not seem to me that they have ever been a mono-task.

21728746_1930276737231525_78265091316309

The image is reproduced from: Mayasova N. "Monument from the Solovetsky Islands. The icon "Our Lady of Bogolyubskaya with the Lives of Zosima and Savvatia". 1545

1 hour ago, Agishe said:

However the superstitious are quite limited in their thinking.

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

However the superstitious are quite limited in their thinking.

And what will see in this picture a non superstitious person with non-limited way of thinking?

2 hours ago, Agishe said:

21728746_1930276737231525_78265091316309

The image is reproduced from: Mayasova N. "Monument from the Solovetsky Islands. The icon "Our Lady of Bogolyubskaya with the Lives of Zosima and Savvatia". 1545

32 minutes ago, Agishe said:

And what will see in this picture a non superstitious person with non-limited way of thinking?

Does that question make sense? There are people, creatures, and buildings in the picture.

How could Big foot, Yeti, Sasquatch etc.. be seen world wide with not a shred of evidence to confirm that it a real creature? Foot prints, videos, photos, eye witness accounts, hair sample, nest, etc.. are not proof. I suppose people want to believe in it because like Ghost, some people just believe, no other reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Does that question make sense? There are people, creatures, and buildings in the picture.

There is no "creatures" in the painting, and could not be. Neither literally nor figuratively, a telepathic projection have no chance to be a "creature".
Creatures leave traces in paleontology.
But something here says, that behind the plot is a real event:
Contrary to the appearance, accepted in those days in the mass consciousness,  the "creatures" in the painting is represented by an anthropomorphic hairy figures - no hooves, no tail, no horns.
And at the same time, they are alike to nearly the same characters from other parts of the world.
Hundreds of years ago, when there was no media for aborigenes, neither in America nor in Australia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Agishe said:

There is no "creatures" in the painting, and could not be. Neither literally nor figuratively, a telepathic projection have no chance to be a "creature".
But something here says, that behind the plot is a real event:
Contrary to the appearance, accepted in those days in the mass consciousness,  the "creatures" in the painting is represented by an anthropomorphic hairy figures - no hooves, no tail, no horns.
And at the same time, they are alike to nearly the same characters from other parts of the world.
Hundreds of years ago, when there was no media for aborigenes, neither in America nor in Australia.

Is a cryptid manifest within the mind or does it enter from without?

Interesting theory.  Ancient artworks seem to capture the essence of whatever that truth is. 

Please tell more. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agishe said:

Telepathic projections aren't paintings. Paintings of creatures don't leave traces in paleontology.

Your logic is flawed.

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

Is a cryptid manifest within the mind or does it enter from without?

Interesting theory.  Ancient artworks seem to capture the essence of whatever that truth is. 

Please tell more. :)

What do you think about witness & frames from security cameras in this video?

Because people don't like being wrong or proven wrong. 

As a kid you hear the stories and the legends and your mind runs wild. You develop a belief. Then, you get older and you refuse to accept new facts and common sense that challenge those long held beliefs.

Also, some people are dumb.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Telepathic projections aren't paintings. Paintings of creatures don't leave traces in paleontology.

Your logic is flawed.

My logic is perfect
and the translation is not so bad

Edited by Agishe

6 hours ago, Agishe said:

What do you think about witness & frames from security cameras in this video?

Disappointed. The presenter is robotic and lacks any enthusiasm or credibility.  I don't recommend any one else waste their time watching this nonsense.

Are you drawing a comparison between this type of obvious hoax and say Bigfoot hoaxes and the effect it has in shaping what people are willing to believe is true?  

Your point is very vague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Disappointed. The presenter is robotic and lacks any enthusiasm or credibility.  I don't recommend any one else waste their time watching this nonsense.

Are you drawing a comparison between this type of obvious hoax and say Bigfoot hoaxes and the effect it has in shaping what people are willing to believe is true?  

Maussan is also a habitual hoaxer so pretty much everything he says is BS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Carnoferox said:

Maussan is also a habitual hoaxer so pretty much everything he says is BS.

Thanks...not to mention, excuse me one second :sleepy: Zzzzzzz...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

The question was about the witness and the surveillance camera of the weather station in Jerusalem.

The Witness is real man, he can be found by anyone. And URL of the Jerusalem meteorological portal is real. 

Conclusion:
You obviously did not watched the video, except few seconds at beginning...
The maximum on what you spent time (I guess) - typed in Google "Jerusalem UFO Hoax" and read a stupid analysis of Live Science (their "analysis" is Gold Standard of Stupidity)

Here is my vague and flawed logic:
Fallen angels = Ancient Mythical Gods & Deities = Evil Spirits (Demons) = Leshy, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yowie, Yeti
Fallen Anges due their nature is UFO (Fireball) (Look "Our Lady of Fátima")

Edited by Agishe

Seriously, Agishe?  If you want to be taken seriously here, do not ride the coattails of Jaime Maussan.  He is a charlatan and fraud of the worst kind, interested in nothing but raking in money from the gullible for him and his hoaxing cronies.

This is the guy whose best friend was filming shirt and jean buttons on window glass and calling them UFO's, eg:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread564385/pg6

(Scroll down a bit and you'll even see little old me...)

The stuff he promotes in books, seminars and videos is just utter bull manure, and you'll do yourself no favours pushing his ridiculous videos down people's throats here.

• Like 6