Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

14 Year old teen sentenced to death

Justice please

More then likely this was a cruel case of racism. This young man was sentenced to death for a crime he did not do. He was electrocuted at the tender age of 14.

link?

1 hour ago, Justice please said:

More then likely this was a cruel case of racism. This young man was sentenced to death for a crime he did not do. He was electrocuted at the tender age of 14.

Sorry here is the link. I thought for sure I had put it in 

I remember reading about this.

They likely coerced the confession, didn't have any actual evidence, and the lawyer was a joke. 

That doesn't look like something I want to watch, though. 

I already know it was horrible. 

Here's the wiki page if other people want to read about it, but not see some kind of re-enactment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I remember reading about this.

They likely coerced the confession, didn't have any actual evidence, and the lawyer was a joke. 

That doesn't look like something I want to watch, though. 

I already know it was horrible. 

Here's the wiki page if other people want to read about it, but not see some kind of re-enactment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stinney

1944, sounds likely that you may be right and i'm sure racism played a large role in this. Such a strange era in our recent history, so much atrocities everywhere during WW2, right down to our very own neighborhoods. 

• Like 1

I don't think Wiki offers conclusive proof that he didn't commit the crime, either.  Still, a 14-year-old shouldn't be executed, even if there were strong proof and a valid confession.  Second chances at life, if not liberty, should be shown to a youth in those circumstances.

There's no need to mine the past for atrocities; the present ones more than suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I don't think Wiki offers conclusive proof that he didn't commit the crime, either.  Still, a 14-year-old shouldn't be executed, even if there were strong proof and a valid confession.  Second chances at life, if not liberty, should be shown to a youth in those circumstances.

The problem was that there was no conclusive evidence that he did commit the crime.

They're supposed to be able to prove it, not just scare a kid into saying he did it. 

Rather than approving a new trial, on December 17, 2014, circuit court Judge Carmen Mullen vacated Stinney's conviction. She ruled that he had not received a fair trial, as he was not effectively defended and his Sixth Amendment right had been violated.[8][7] The ruling was a rare use of the legal remedy of coram nobis. Judge Mullen ruled that his confession was likely coerced and thus inadmissible. She also found that the execution of a 14-year-old constituted "cruel and unusual punishment", and that his attorney "failed to call exculpating witnesses or to preserve his right of appeal."[9] Mullen confined her judgment to the process of the prosecution, noting that Stinney "may well have committed this crime." With reference to the legal process Mullen wrote "No one can justify a 14-year-old child charged, tried, convicted and executed in some 80 days," concluding that "In essence, not much was done for this child when his life lay in the balance."[5]

Edited by GlitterRose

It's possible that they even made up the confession.

George was held and not allowed to see his parents until after his trial and conviction.[5] According to a handwritten statement, the arresting officer was H.S. Newman, a Clarendon County deputy, who stated "I arrested a boy by the name of George Stinney. He then made a confession and told me where to find a piece of iron about 15 inches were [sic] he said he put it in a ditch about six feet from the bicycle." No confession statement signed by Stinney is known to exist.[5][12]

The entire proceeding against Stinney, including jury selection, took one day. Stinney's court-appointed defense counsel was Charles Plowden, a tax commissioner campaigning for election to local political office. Plowden did not challenge the three police officers who testified that Stinney confessed to the two murders, despite this being the only evidence against him, and despite the prosecution's presentation of two different versions of Stinney's verbal confession.

This is also telling...

Stinney's counsel did not call any witnesses, did not cross-examine witnesses and offered little or no defense. Trial presentation lasted two and a half hours.[5] The jury took ten minutes to deliberate, after which they returned with a guilty verdict. The judge sentenced Stinney to death by the electric chair. There is no transcript of the trial. No appeal was filed.[6]

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 1

I wonder how such injustice could have been unanswered for so long.

• The saddest