Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawaii's Birthday Cake - A Huge Hurricane

Raptor Witness

Today is Hawaii's statehood birthday.  It's also the day that hurricane watches went up, for the most powerful hurricane to ever threaten the island chain.

Although not officially a Category 5 yet, earlier today, hurricane Lane's winds were sampled in the eyewall up to 165 mph, and his pressure has dropped to Category 5 levels at 929 mb.

The brave souls who are in the path of this monster, may find a Maria-like experience, in their future. Another tourist destination, annihilated ... 

29252070017_ab40528934_b.jpg

29252076647_91977a0da5_o.gif

29252105927_7edd2cb182_o.png

Hurricane Lane Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS Central Pacific Hurricane Center Honolulu HI EP142018
620 PM HST Tue Aug 21 2018

...NOAA AIRCRAFT FINDS THAT LANE HAS STRENGTHENED TO A CATEGORY 5
HURRICANE...

Data from the NOAA P-3 aircraft indicate that Lane has continued to
intensify this afternoon. Maximum sustained winds have increased to
near 160 mph (260 km/h), making Lane an extremely dangerous category
5 hurricane. A special advisory will be issued within the hour.

SUMMARY OF 620 PM HST...0420 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...14.5N 154.0W
ABOUT 375 MI...605 KM SSE OF KAILUA-KONA HAWAII
ABOUT 535 MI...860 KM SSE OF HONOLULU HAWAII
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH...260 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE..922 MB...27.23 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Birchard/Jacobson

I hope that president Trump's people have learned the lesson from Bush/Katrina and send supplies and help regardless of what the governor may actually ask for.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, and then said:

I hope that president Trump's people have learned the lesson from Bush/Katrina and send supplies and help regardless of what the governor may actually ask for.

I suspect because there's a military base on Oahu, they will have more help than Puerto Rico. I arrived on Kauai, almost immediately after hurricane Inki hit in 1992, and the military support was amazing.

However, if this becomes a multiple island disaster, I think the chances of seeing something similar to what we saw in Puerto Rico, increases.

No matter what people may believe about modern transportation, Hawaii is still an isolated place, and the logistics of finding the amount of labor and materials you need to affect repairs, is very challenging. There just aren't enough skilled people living there, and many of those who come won't stay long enough make a big dent in the reconstruction. The cost of living is high and gets higher over time, following one of these events, so contractor's and laborers take an enormous risk.  Unless you just happen to like to surf, there's not a lot to do, either. 

Hawaii also has lots of mosquitos and it rains several times a day. Almost any housing you can find is damaged, it's hot and humid, and at night the helicopters and generators and mosquitos will drain your peace of mind. Alcohol is about the only comfort, and for the unmarried, younger men, there were prostitutes who flew over from the mainland to cash in.

This could be much worse than Iniki, with a prolonged recovery effort spanning at least 2 years.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

The good news is it is moving relatively fast, which really is a break as long as it keeps on trucking or even speeds up forward.

The bad news is the eye stays over water.

The good news is Hawaii is better prepared than Puerto Rico was, with a base there and supplies in place by FEMA.

The bad news is the rains and the mountains, possible mudslides and the like, plus a lot of downed trees.

Florida and the Southern areas get these so often we get some preparation and thinned out trees, but Hawaii is gonna sting a bit from this. The downed trees are possibly going to be a real issue at first to get around for a day or two. Hope they have chainsaws and gas for them.

My thoughts are with Hawaii, it is all I can do :/ 

Maybe our Hawaiian members can keep us posted here as possible before, during and after so we know truth and facts about it?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, and then said:

in the tape the Gov there says FEMA already has supplies on the ground so we can hope for better response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I suspect because there's a military base on Oahu, they will have more help than Puerto Rico. I arrived on Kauai, almost immediately after hurricane Inki hit in 1992, and the military support was amazing.

However, if this becomes a multiple island disaster, I think the chances of seeing something similar to what we saw in Puerto Rico, increases.

No matter what people may believe about modern transportation, Hawaii is still an isolated place, and the logistics of finding the amount of labor and materials you need to affect repairs, is very challenging. There just aren't enough skilled people living there, and many of those who come won't stay long enough make a big dent in the reconstruction. The cost of living is high and gets higher over time, following one of these events, so contractor's and laborers take an enormous risk.  Unless you just happen to like to surf, there's not a lot to do, either. 

Hawaii also has lots of mosquitos and it rains several times a day. Almost any housing you can find is damaged, it's hot and humid, and at night the helicopters and generators and mosquitos will drain your peace of mind. Alcohol is about the only comfort, and for the unmarried, younger men, there were prostitutes who flew over from the mainland to cash in.

This could be much worse than Iniki, with a prolonged recovery effort spanning at least 2 years.

You've just stated many of the reasons my niece and her family just moved from there to Orlando, Fla. She said they are renting a place over double the size of the one they had in HI for $1,000 less a month..crazy, right? I'm glad they are missing the hurricane but alot of her husbands family are still there. Fingers crossed for all of them.

• Like 1

There are still big questions about this track, until we see how the storm interacts with the islands. Sometimes we see islands in the Caribbean attract hurricanes, like a magnet, due to the air flowing around them.  This island interaction is very tricky stuff ... and I wouldn't take much comfort in the center line of the official track.

There is no good news, yet.

Take it away Levi Cowan ...

Edited by Raptor Witness

The valley's appear full of houses in those Honolulu foothills ...  I'm not sure this is a good situation if heavy rains pour into those valleys. Some folks might get washed into the bay.

29262606837_316a83287b_b.jpg

Lane is now rated a cat 4 hurricane. The track seems to keep the highest winds away from the islands, rain and some storm surge will be more of a worry I would think. 

BULLETIN Hurricane Lane Advisory Number 32 -

"Maximum sustained winds are near 155 mph (250 km/h) with higher gusts. Lane is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some weakening is forecast during the next 48 hours, but Lane is forecast to remain a dangerous hurricane as it draws closer to the Hawaiian Islands."

• Like 1

Planning and Zoning refuses ever to do their jobs with worst case weather in mind :/

The public would never let them LOL.

• Like 2

Anytime we see a turn like this, adjacent to a land area, outside the arc, the flooding is usually catastrophic.

If I were In charge of the emergency recovery effort, I would guess that Hawaii will need much more than what FEMA can offer. 

If this event is the scene I dreamed out, years ago, where I saw bodies in the streams leading into an ocean, then the actual danger is not yet fully realized by anyone, and won’t be until it’s too late.

Hurricane Lane - Models

It has begun .....

Edited by Raptor Witness

On 8/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, Raptor Witness said:

NICE picture, that's just awesome.

But... if it is spinning counter-clockwise or in the Pacific, isn't it called a "Typhoon"? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

NICE picture, that's just awesome.

But... if it is spinning counter-clockwise or in the Pacific, isn't it called a "Typhoon"? 

West Pacific ....

• Like 1

Should try a few of these why you all are watching the screens:::::
Hawaii cake,

Kings-Hawaiian-Sweet-Dinner-Rolls-2-500x GREAT! with gravy too!

.200w.gif

Edited by MWoo7

It indeed appears that Lane turned due north as it crossed the Big Island wake, created by the trade winds, seen above.

Hurricane Lane 8-23-18

The complacency reminds me of the days leading up to hurricane Katrina’s landfall, when a face of death, by the artist Moreno suddenly appeared on the Mars Rover Blog .... the writer calling that storm, “the poison wind.”

Two good views regarding model divergence of the westward turn.

30369677928_89142f3137_o.gif

That's some amazing outflow in the upper levels, judging from all those fine toothed feathers fanning out .... despite the shear, I'd say this thing is far from being over, as a hurricane.

A thing of artful beauty, if it wasn't so deadly serious.

yeah it is getting torn up and the eye wall is fluctuating a lot which is good news. It is hanging out though and that is bad news. That is a crap ton of water coming down and mud slides are a major danger there close as they have allowed building up the sides.

as for complacency, what can anyone do until it passes? Hunker down and wait it out. 

4 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

.......as for complacency, what can anyone do until it passes? Hunker down and wait it out. 

At Least they had sense enough to blow the sirens last night, island wide.

At this point Lane is moving NNE, which according to my favorite forecaster, is The Worst Case Scenario.....

Visible, Infrared, and internal scan via radar imagery ....  very unusual appearance in the infrared, which some have described as looking like a natural gas pilot light.  

44195814552_9ae2083d07_o.gif

42436846040_3e82c8a799_o.gif

43527241734_d3d23795d5_o.gif

Edited by Raptor Witness

At the bottom of a good summary article is a tab with over 100 pictures of the effects on the ground for those interested. The fires are ironic :( 

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-08-23-hurricane-lane-impacts-hawaii-honolulu-maui-hilo

@Raptor Witness I like your weather guy, he seems to cut to the chase better than the rest I am finding for news about it there.

Lane has decoupled from the low level circulation.  It's anybody's guess how much fury is left in his wake ... but so far, the Big Island has taken the brunt of the hit.

Edited by Raptor Witness