Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist or physics?

Dawnd713

So this happened and I am so confused. Put mug next to sink. Ran to store. Come back 20 mins later and find this, scattered from end to end, wall to wall in my kitchen. 3 ppl home and awake and no one heard anything. 3x as much water on everything than was in there to start. Wasn’t thrown cuz it wouldn’t be that shattered and scattered. Looks like it exploded but how?? Why? What could cause this? It was literally turned to dust and rubble all across the kitchen   it wasn’t hot/cold by the stove/a.c  not an animal/human wasn’t wet and slid  I have pics if anyone wants 

I personally do not feel anything in my home. It’s in a little town in NEPA that my sister owned and her husbands family had owned for 40 years before that. It is a half double opened into one, my sister had bought the other side about 15 yrs back. Nothing was reported by them. 

My estranged husband hated this house, calling it an energy vampire. Saying something was wrong with it. During the time my sons gf lived here, things would move after they were set down, drinks moved across room, keys and object put in odd places. At that time you heard bumps and bangs and footsteps that I always attributed to the house being large, open and old. My husband would always say he saw a woman but I never saw anything. The strangest thing I’ve encountered was someone whistling at me when I was home alone. 

Recently my roommates claimed to have taken a photo of a “demonic figure” in the attic bedroom but are unable to produce the pic. 

My roommates are getting freaked out and after the mug incident, I don’t know what to tell them. I don’t think it’s paranormal but it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. This house is odd, but has no feelings of being “occupied”

as I finished writing the toilet seat slammed in an empty bathroom. Now I’m not sure what to think. Can anyone shed some light?

• Like 2

Welcome to UM @Dawnd713,

Just regarding the mug, there are a number of known explanations as to why it may have seemingly exploded. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage , and also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_drop is probably worth a read.

(There are some very impressive YouTube videos regarding Prince Rupert’s drop too, if you want to see the theory in action.)

Can you please elaborate a little about the ‘3x as much water’? Was the mug filled with water? What is everything, and why is water normally on everything, but 3x less?

Yes if you’re happy to upload the photos, that would be good. Just make sure no sensitive information is included. The image file size limit is quite small too, so let us know if you need help to resize them.

As for the toilet seat, how much force does it take for it to be closed? Eg. Does it naturally sit vertically balanced in a position which would take very little force to have it fall and slam? Could wind or even a resonant vibration caused by someone walking through the house be enough to tip it over the edge? I have come across toilet seats which can take a bit of effort to even keep them sitting open and vertical, simply due to the physical characteristics. 

And as for your roommates, show them the links provided above, have them watch some videos of glass shattering. It’s not anything to get freaked out about if you look at it as an isolated case. 

• Like 2

Spilled liquids always seems like much more than when they were in the cup. 

Perhaps condensation on the cup caused it to move and eventually fall off the counter.

I would like to see the photos.

• Like 1

I've had a drinking glass explode on its shelf in the kitchen and ended up same as yours in wall to wall pieces.A lot of other paranormal stuff happened in that house.

• Like 1

I’ve spent 20 yrs in the restaurant business and am familiar with exploding dish ware. This wasn’t the typical case, but I wasn’t there to witness it. There was about 2 oz of water in the cup when I sat it down. Expanded liquid does look like more than was in the cup, therefore I personally don’t consider that as significant. Someone else may, which is why I mentioned it. 

The toilet seat is another area I had concern with. The seat doesn’t stay up on its own due to the lid cover. The elastic on the lid keeps the rim from coming up far enough to stay. When it slammed the windows were closed and everyone watching tv in their rooms. It was heard on the second and third floor and no one was near the bathroom at the time. The lid was up and the seat was down. A little while later, the door closed on its own. 

As for my roommates, I could only wish the were playing a joke. They’re more scared than anyone. I’m trying to be logical and find explanations 

Edited by Dawnd713

This is the pic of the mug after it was swept. No material was found on any counter top or the island other than water. We did not think to take a picture of the mug while it was still scattered on the floor. I can get pics of the layout of my kitchen if it would help. 

34A107A3-9383-4D49-B692-B32B5FE0BB37.jpeg

As for the mug. That could've resulted from stress fracture due to micro-bubble in it. Going from hot to cold will wear n tear on certain materials over time. Then they crack or shatter. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dawnd713 said:

Can anyone shed some light?

From the whole gambit of information you provided, it sounds most likely that you are in a house rife with paranormal activity. I think more and more that with cable TV and particularly the internet that these things are 'rare' but not actually 'that rare'.

If it is at a level you can not be comfortable with, then you might try paranormal protection techniques. That subject is not a specialty of mine, but you can learn more about those things on the internet and perhaps from other members on this forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

As for the mug. That could've resulted from stress fracture due to micro-bubble in it. Going from hot to cold will wear n tear on certain materials over time. Then they crack or shatter. 

Would the drinking glass at my place have exploded(not cracked or broken) due to wear/stress, it was empty sitting on the glass shelf,the glasses next to it were untouched,is that  scientifically proven or your opinion.I've never heard of it before it happened.

Maybe after you went out, someone else used the cup, left it full of water, left it closer to the edge + condensation = smash.

Just an idea though

• Like 1

19 hours ago, White-Coyote said:

Maybe after you went out, someone else used the cup, left it full of water, left it closer to the edge + condensation = smash.

Just an idea though

That would have been a possibility I would have considered had the mug been broken just near the counter. There is an island in the center of my kitchen that would have stopped the pieces from sliding into the places they were found 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:27 AM, Timothy said:

Welcome to UM @Dawnd713,

Just regarding the mug, there are a number of known explanations as to why it may have seemingly exploded. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage , and also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_drop is probably worth a read.

But it was not even glass.

Can ceramic mugs explode like that?? I don't even know. I searched the internet a bit, and found nothing but I am not going to make a career out of it. But I can say I have never had or even heard of a ceramic mug exploding in all my born days and I'm a heavy coffee/tea drinker.

Edited by papageorge1

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

But it was not even glass.

Can ceramic mugs explode like that?? I don't even know. I searched the internet a bit, and found nothing but I am not going to make a career out of it. But I can say I have never had or even heard of a ceramic mug exploding in all my born days and I'm a heavy coffee/tea drinker.

I’m not sure either. They can have similar molecular structure. I assumed it was a glass mug. Are you just going by the photo? It does look pretty ceramicish.

Hey @Dawnd713, what was the mug made of? 

9 hours ago, Timothy said:

I’m not sure either. They can have similar molecular structure. I assumed it was a glass mug. Are you just going by the photo? It does look pretty ceramicish.

Hey @Dawnd713, what was the mug made of? 

Tim, I doubt it is a coincidence but the old Papameter spontaneously flew across the room and left a gouge in the drywall at the opposite end of the room. And upon further thought I believe it occurred just about the same time that shattered mug photo got officially posted. 

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Strange. I’ve heard my whole kitchen sound as if everything in there hit the floor with a force I’ve never heard, just to go in there and nothing be out of place. As in the whole family jumped up to run and see the mess that was NOT being made. As to the “Mug” I’m going to give a little info 1st. I have a mirror over my mantle in the living room, I have a few crystals (geodes) that sit in front of it, the paint on my mantle is a sticky type of paint that requires you to have to pick it up even to slide it. I’m on my porch, my husband is asleep, I hear an awful crash (even though we have thick carpet). I jump up from the porch, came in wondering what it could be because I hung no pictures on the wall (plaster) ugh. About 8ft away, there laid my mirror in the floor mirror side up, pieces of my geodes rock all over my living room and coffee table, yet the geodes were still in their place as they was. My husband didn’t know as he arose half asleep wondering what was going on. So yes I believe it was done on purpose!! Screw the scientific babble, that’s why it’s called “paranormal”, or “unexplained”.  I’ve dealt with unimaginable things since I was about eight years old. I’m now forty two now with grown kids and they’ve experienced these things 1st hand. My husband was a sceptic (so he says) until we were in our 2-3rd year together. It’s been 25years now. He does not see anything, or say anything about being a skeptic now! He’s just glad I’m good at not making a big scary deal out of everything because I’m so use to it. “He would have lost his mind”, or so he tells me. Never be afraid! I’m the same way in wanting an answer to things that have happened on a daily basis. I’ve learned there isn’t always an answer, and not everyone will believe you. I could write a book on the things I’ve witnessed and been through lol. Unless they are around you enough to know you’re not FOS. Good luck, or move. Unless you can handle the chaos, it will take control. Blessings. 

its not paranormal, well its paranormal in the minds of some, of course zero proof, science can find the answers too bad science is too boring for some,

There is always a scientific answer for everything...just not all scientific answers are discovered as of yet!