Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Unfortunately

Jesus' Skin Colour

101 posts in this topic

third_eye

Unfortunately the thread title states 'skin' instead of 'complexion' which would have predisposed the complexities involving melanin levels in the epidermis layer.

~

• Like 1

Unfortunately
6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Unfortunately the thread title states 'skin' instead of 'complexion' which would have predisposed the complexities involving melanin levels in the epidermis layer.

~

Oh, my mistake. :lol:

• Haha 1

Opus Magnus

In Revelation 1:13-16 a description of after ressurection Jesus is given, but no mention of skin color.

The Jews are described in Genesis ancestory as being semite, but with a lighter than usual tone than other semites.

Grandpa Greenman

Why are people are in such denial the Jesus may have looked like the native Palestinians.  Should it really matter if he looked like an arab (semite).  Are y'all all really that racist?   (For those who think he looked like Cat Stevens, Cat Stevens was born of a Greek father and a Swedish mother.)  If you really want to think of the Torah as a history book (which it is not), then the Jew's are descents of Abraham who was from Ur, which would make him Iraqi in today's world. if you must have a white Jesus, because  you are white, you might want to rethink your interpretation of your religion. It is possible he was a light skinned Semite, humans are really not all the different, we are all Homo sapiens, after all, so does it really matter what color he may have been?

http://serendipstudio.org/exchange/kristin-jenkins/story-race-and-classification-people-generative-or-not 

57f7df24f0558.image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Opus Magnus
18 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Why are people are in such denial the Jesus may have looked like the native Palestinians.  Should it really matter if he looked like an arab (semite).  Are y'all all really that racist?   (For those who think he looked like Cat Stevens, Cat Stevens was born of a Greek father and a Swedish mother.)  If you really want to think of the Torah as a history book (which it is not), then the Jew's are descents of Abraham who was from Ur, which would make him Iraqi in today's world. if you must have a white Jesus, because  you are white, you might want to rethink your interpretation of your religion. It is possible he was a light skinned Semite, humans are really not all the different, we are all Homo sapiens, after all, so does it really matter what color he may have been?

http://serendipstudio.org/exchange/kristin-jenkins/story-race-and-classification-people-generative-or-not 

57f7df24f0558.image.jpg

Because they may have a common relative to the Palestinians, but are a completely different people than them. To tell the Jews they are the same as a palestinian is like calling them a Philistine or a Caananite. 

DanL

The skin color is simple. He would have been DARK brown. When I met my wife I was almost chocolate brown. I had worked the fields as a kid and also worked as a carpenter. I'm half German and the other part is mostly scottish. When you work in the sun you get very dark and the longer you do it the darker you get. Carpenters spend all day in the sun and I've never seen a pale skinned carpenter working on a framing or roofing crew. Back then there were no air conditioners so you were cooler outside than inside. People in the middle east were all pretty dark by today's standards. 

Jews of that time period were basically Arabic in their racial nature. They had not yet been scattered to the many corners of the world and then cross bred with other nationalities. You also have to understand that Jew is a religious definition. Many Jews are jet black and now some are even blond and redhead. 

Opus Magnus
2 minutes ago, DanL said:

The skin color is simple. He would have been DARK brown. When I met my wife I was almost chocolate brown. I had worked the fields as a kid and also worked as a carpenter. I'm half German and the other part is mostly scottish. When you work in the sun you get very dark and the longer you do it the darker you get. Carpenters spend all day in the sun and I've never seen a pale skinned carpenter working on a framing or roofing crew. Back then there were no air conditioners so you were cooler outside than inside. People in the middle east were all pretty dark by today's standards. 

Jews of that time period were basically Arabic in their racial nature. They had not yet been scattered to the many corners of the world and then cross bred with other nationalities. You also have to understand that Jew is a religious definition. Many Jews are jet black and now some are even blond and redhead. 

The Jews are not Arab, they are two distinctly different lines of Semites. The Arabs are identified in the Old Testament and are not the Jews. The Jewish people is a real distinct line apart from their surroundings. King David was described as having a ruddy appearance, which means red.

Big Jim

It's interesting to me that the entire New Testament, which purports to record Jesus' movements, deeds and words, doesn't give a single description of his personal appearance, yet here we are some 2000 years later filling up several pages with our speculations of his race, color and ancestry.  I think that says more about us than him.

• Like 2

third_eye

In those days, anybody who trims the hair and shaves is a Roman but not necessarily a Citizen of Rome

~

• Like 1

Opus Magnus
5 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

It's interesting to me that the entire New Testament, which purports to record Jesus' movements, deeds and words, doesn't give a single description of his personal appearance, yet here we are some 2000 years later filling up several pages with our speculations of his race, color and ancestry.  I think that says more about us than him.

His entire ancestory is listed in the Gospel from his birth to Adam and both Mary and Joseph were from Jewish tribes, one Moses' tribe and the other King David.

Edited by Opus Magnus

GlitterRose

Not so certain there ever was an historic Jesus, but assuming for a moment that there was...probably middle eastern. 

Brown. 

He would have been brown and from an area Trump probably wouldn't want to accept people from. 

Noteverythingisaconspiracy
40 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

His entire ancestory is listed in the Gospel from his birth to Adam and both Mary and Joseph were from Jewish tribes, one Moses' tribe and the other King David.

Why is Joseph's lineage relevant when Jesus' dad is God. Joseph's ancestory should be irrelevant.

It almost like someone was writing several mutually exclusive stories about Jesus' ancestory. Nah that can't be true........... :innocent:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Opus Magnus
24 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Why is Joseph's lineage relevant when Jesus' dad is God. Joseph's ancestory should be irrelevant.

It almost like someone was writing several mutually exclusive stories about Jesus' ancestory. Nah that can't be true........... :innocent:

It doesn't, but even Mary was Jewish, and Elizabeth her cousin were in Moses' and Aaron's tribe. 

What do you mean in the second paragraph? Both lineages are contained in the four Gospels, and are Jewish.

Edited by Opus Magnus

Big Jim
4 hours ago, Big Jim said:

4 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

You're right.  I shouldn't have included race and ancestry in my statement since the topic is specifically about his color.  

Piney
4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Especially since he was added to the story a century later.......

• Like 1

Opus Magnus

In Revelation it says he has a countenance like the sun shineth in his strength. Revelation 1:16

Grandpa Greenman
7 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

The Jews are not Arab, they are two distinctly different lines of Semites. The Arabs are identified in the Old Testament and are not the Jews. The Jewish people is a real distinct line apart from their surroundings. King David was described as having a ruddy appearance, which means red.

Semite, person speaking one of a group of related languages, presumably derived from a common language, Semitic (see Semitic languages). The term came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, some Ethiopians, and Aramaean tribes including Hebrews. Mesopotamia, the western coast of the Mediterranean, the Arabian Peninsula, and the Horn of Africa have all been proposed as possible sites for the prehistoric origins of Semitic-speaking peoples, but no location has been definitively established.

By 2500 BCE Semitic-speaking peoples had become widely dispersed throughout western Asia. In Phoenicia they became seafarers. In Mesopotamia they blended with the civilization of Sumer. The Hebrews settled with other Semitic-speaking peoples in Palestine.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Semite

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

In Revelation it says he has a countenance like the sun shineth in his strength. Revelation 1:16

You left out the best part of that verse:  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword:

Before that we have:

1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

So according to Revelation jesus looks something like this:

Jesus-Midst-Seven-Lampstands-Seven-Stars-Seven-Churches-Seven-Candlesticks-Book-of-Revelation-Chapter-1-2-3-Sword-out-of-Mouth.jpg

I wonder why you left out those parts ? :rolleyes:

Revelation is filled with crazy things like this, such as dragons, seven headed beasts and locust with human heads.

• Like 2

Opus Magnus
5 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Semite, person speaking one of a group of related languages, presumably derived from a common language, Semitic (see Semitic languages). The term came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, some Ethiopians, and Aramaean tribes including Hebrews. Mesopotamia, the western coast of the Mediterranean, the Arabian Peninsula, and the Horn of Africa have all been proposed as possible sites for the prehistoric origins of Semitic-speaking peoples, but no location has been definitively established.

By 2500 BCE Semitic-speaking peoples had become widely dispersed throughout western Asia. In Phoenicia they became seafarers. In Mesopotamia they blended with the civilization of Sumer. The Hebrews settled with other Semitic-speaking peoples in Palestine.

Yeah, Semite as in Shem. They all have a distant past relative Shem Noah's son according to Genesis. Hence the term Semite or Shemite.

They are all distinct people and the Jewish religion was sure on how to keep Jewish people Jewish.

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You left out the best part of that verse:  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword:

Before that we have:

1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

So according to Revelation jesus looks something like this:

Jesus-Midst-Seven-Lampstands-Seven-Stars-Seven-Churches-Seven-Candlesticks-Book-of-Revelation-Chapter-1-2-3-Sword-out-of-Mouth.jpg

I wonder why you left out those parts ? :rolleyes:

On my first post I made reference to all three verses Revelation 1:13-16, but yeah I think that is a better depiction than some.

12 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

It is apparently very important for some people what colour his skin was. I would have thought the important part was his message, not his etnicity ? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Yeah, Semite as in Shem. They all have a distant past relative Shem Noah's son according to Genesis. Hence the term Semite or Shemite.

They are all distinct people and the Jewish religion was sure on how to keep Jewish people Jewish.

On my first post I made reference to all three verses Revelation 1:13-16, but yeah I think that is a better depiction than some.

Oh my you actually believe this. :wacko:

Edit: You never mentioned what the verses actually said about his appearence. Only half of 1:16. All of the more outlandish parts were left out.

Opus Magnus
1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Oh my you actually believe this. :wacko:

Yeah, seeing as how in this world there are three general root races of humans: the red man, black man and white man. The part in genesis about Noah's three sons being these three colors actually interests me in considering how much may be more true than exxagerated. 

8 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Yeah, seeing as how in this world there are three general root races of humans: the red man, black man and white man. The part in genesis about Noah's three sons being these three colors actually interests me in considering how much may be more true than exxagerated. 

In the real world there is only one human race: Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer to believe what evidence tells us (Fossil record, DNA etc), rather than what a group of bronzeage Middle Eastern sheppards wrote..............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejarma

It seems to me going by what I've read in the past 50+ years that Jesus did exist...

By my reckoning, no son of God here= he was <probably> the head of the "Christian terrorist organization" fighting the Roman empire...

He died to save us all <in my opinion> is more than likely he gave himself up in order to save the lives of captured Christian terrorists.

I say, terrorist, because they would have been classed as terrorists by the Romans..

Before anyone starts screaming & shouting:

this is not a claim, it's just an opinion............

Opus Magnus
2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

In the real world there is only one human race: Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer to believe what evidence tells us (Fossil record, DNA etc), rather than what a group of bronzeage Middle Eastern sheppards wrote..............

Alright getting tired of you. If there is only one human race, why are there different races? However you want to name them, there are three known basic skin colors: white, black and the reddish or tan color everyone else has.