Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian rent-a-grave law to be reviewed

Still Waters

A controversial law in Australia's New South Wales that allows graves to be "rented out" is going to a public inquiry, reports say.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the NSW government is going to review rentable graves, after they were introduced into the region's Cemeteries and Crematoria Act in June.

The act allows relatives to rent graves for 25-99 year periods if they can't afford the leasehold fees on their loved one's permanent grave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-45298239

• Sad 1

The existing law means the headstones of deceased relatives can be removed if relatives don't renew the deceased's plot of land within two years of expiration.

Their remains are dug up, and go into a communal ossuary or "bone room", with the original land then being re-let.

That's horrible.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

That's horrible.

It's outrageous. I'd be totally surprised if this type of law gets passed. It's bizarre.   

• Like 3

When I was in highschool I done a few months work experience in the local cemetery ( the crematorium to be precise, yeah I was a weird kid) and the "rent a grave" thing was in effect in South Australia back then (1996) and as far as I know still is. At that time they were digging up remains and reusing the sites, well in the major cemeterys at least. You could get the leases renewed but the problem with that was most of the time the lease holder was dead (wife Burys husband etc) and the lease wasn't transferred to the next of kin. Kinda sucky deal

• Sad 3

I had no idea that this 'rent a grave' business was happening in certain States of Australia. In fact it's rather morbid to think about. It's even more reason why I choose to be cremated when my time comes. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

I thought that land was pretty cheap in a place that has so MUCH of it.  Can't make the payment on Granny's lot?  UP she comes!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Astra. said:

I had no idea that this 'rent a grave' business was happening in certain States of Australia. In fact it's rather morbid to think about. It's even more reason why I choose to be cremated when my time comes. 

I'm starting a 'Rent a Urn' if you're interested.

:P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

:lol:..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Earn your Urn surely ;)

• Haha 2

I’ve been accused of being stunningly unsentimental, so I don’t really see the issue. When you’re gone, you’re gone. A burial plot is only a place for your loved ones to visit - they’re only going to be around for fro a finite period so really, they only need it for a finite period.