Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Why do people believe in conspiracy theories?

56 posts in this topic

Alien Origins
21 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

There are plenty of conspiracies involving the Titanic disaster.  Although many of them are false.  It all started because the 2nd officer who survived the sinking decided to write a book many years later and he questioned the official Inquiry that was held in the months that followed the disaster.  He wrote:

"It was very necessary to keep one's hand on the whitewash brush......A washing of dirty linen would help no one.......The Board of Trade was holding an enquiry into the loss of the ship, hence the whitewash brush.....I know when it was all over I felt more like a legal doormat than a mail boat officer."

I was reading some where that one conspiracy theory has it that it was not the Titanic that went down but another ship...I do not recall the ships name but apparently it was costing more to operate than what it was taking in.....I will have to try and find that and post the link...

Obviousman
16 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

I was reading some where that one conspiracy theory has it that it was not the Titanic that went down but another ship...I do not recall the ships name but apparently it was costing more to operate than what it was taking in.....I will have to try and find that and post the link...

That's been thoroughly debunked; the ships were very different in many respects. Here is a reference to have a look at:

http://www.titanicswitch.com/claims.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FurriesRock
On 8/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, UM-Bot said:

Scientists have discovered that there is a psychological link between conspiracy theorists and creationists.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/320888/why-do-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

People believe in conspiracy theories because history has proven that governments lie.

Edited by FurriesRock
  • Like 1

Obviousman
8 hours ago, FurriesRock said:

People believe in conspiracy theories because history has proven that governments lie.

Yes but they don't lie all the time thus not every conspiracy claim is correct. You have to apply judgment, reasoning, logic, examine the credibility of evidence (if any) etc in order to determine if there is any basis for a conspiracy claim... and most simply do not stack up.

• Like 1

aztek
On 9/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Obviousman said:

Yes but they don't lie all the time thus not every conspiracy claim is correct.

true, not every  conspiracy claim is correct. , but that also means  not every conspiracy claim is wrong.

NightScreams
On 9/24/2018 at 9:26 AM, FurriesRock said:

And they are also terrible at keeping secrets for very long. But most of it is in regards to morality/ethical or questionable things. Like the CIA messing around with LSD on people, hiring a gangster to do what they legally couldn't, spying on citizens...things like that. The Alien and other type stuff is far too intricate, complex and far reaching to be a secret conspiracy.