Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists find evidence of a 'former universe'

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Scientists find evidence of a 'former universe'

I was taught, and always believed this. The Universe recreates itself. 

• Like 6

Wonder if any civilization (in theory( had achieving all possible scientiific achievements could survive this

• Like 3

Stuff like that brings out my inner romantic.

Quite surprising that we find evidence of a past universe within our own, makes you wonder how soon we will find evidence for other universes (as in still existing ones) as well.

30 minutes ago, Trenix said:

Sounds like this theory backs up religion.

Not really, a cyclic creation is part of some religions, like Jainism and Hinduism (if I'm not mistaken). Besides the Cyclic Universe theory is not exactly something new.

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Care to explain?

"See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. (Isaiah 65:17)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Guess I'll have to wait around and see if this is true....

This theory is functionally impossible if one presumes space/time is also recreated.

There simply would be nothing left to suggest prior existance... not a single trace; faint energy or otherwise.

Now, if space/time is not itself recreated each cycle, energetic remnants of a former universe is conceivable, I guess.

Damn... my head just exploded... will get back to you later...

I

• Like 2

That makes a lot of sense to me but don't know what religion has to do with it. I guess those folks just want to take credit for everything. I've always been of the opinion that s%&$t happens - just go with it.

• Like 1

I am not sure about this, the current universe has a physical size that would still be there at the end, when maximum entropy existed. What mechanism would reduce this physical space back to a very small volume? Being equivalent to a small volume is not the same as actually being a small volume.

Today's universe is expanding, if a previous universe existed, and was there at the start of this re run, a space would already exist to move into and there would be no expansion just the movement of matter spreading out into the previous void. Interesting concept though.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pallidin said:

This theory is functionally impossible if one presumes space/time is also recreated.

There simply would be nothing left to suggest prior existance... not a single trace; faint energy or otherwise.

Now, if space/time is not itself recreated each cycle, energetic remnants of a former universe is conceivable, I guess.

Damn... my head just exploded... will get back to you later...

I

Theoretically, could time be gobbled up? Along with space? As there needs to be a space to have the mass amount of nothing in, and a certain amount of time would have to pass for this recycling process to complete:blink: hypothetically...

just playing the devils fly on the non existing space/time wall. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

Theoretically, could time be gobbled up? Along with space? As there needs to be a space to have the mass amount of nothing in, and a certain amount of time would have to pass for this recycling process to complete:blink: hypothetically...

:o

*head explodes* 

• Haha 2

Just now, Piney said:

:o

*head explodes* 

I also had to scrape my brain matter off the walls after writing this xD

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AstralHorus said:

I also had to scrape my brain matter off the walls after writing this xD

Basically, the Universe recreates itself "in no time".   

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

Basically, the Universe recreates itself "in no time".   

As "time" is a quantified aspect of "state-change", and is highly observable, the "reality" of "time" appears concrete.

However, whether or not it is strictly forward-linear appears in much debate.

Edited by pallidin
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, pallidin said:

However, whether or not it is strictly forward-linear appears in much debate.

In my tradition, it's circular. Which means the "collapse-expansion" would make sense but it would be instantaneous. 

• Like 4

Yes, it is good that the dynamics of time is seriously re-thought for consideration.

There is no true reason that time should be held captive in a 2D world of forward-linearity

• Thanks 1

Hawkins postulated something like this. However, he was adamant that information could not transition through the singularity that forms the Big Bang. Hence there would be no radiation from "ghost black holes". 

I think they've found something else. 

Possibly Courgettes are involved ? 

If space/time is not affected during the "crunch" cycle, it is conceivable that "no-mass energy types", i.e. photons, could actually survive the cycle... though likely in extraordinarily small and weak amounts given the collective event, as photons of all types can be absorbed and held irrelevant.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Again, I can only reference Hawkins theory.. which is that the singularity is all-encompassing. No information can pass through it from the previous cycle.

The physicists in the OPA have found SOMETHING, but I don't think it is "echo's". of a previous universe :) 

• Like 2

I'm no astrophysicist, but I'd bet the evidence is still noise.

Also the theory is condricting thermodynamics and entropy. Wouldn't entropy have to reverse in order for this to happen? Or is the expansion and contraction adding to entropy all the time? As in, in the next cycle entropy from expansion and contraction are added to the next expansion. Pretty sure that unfalsifiable. Considering mathematically we can't predict anything past the singularity also makes it unfalsifiable.

It's an interesting theory with some holes in it. Pun intended.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

Cyclic universal dynamics clearly, and must, violate stasis entropy... else there would be no "cycle"

• Like 1

Violation of entropy can be assumed normal in this fantastical case, as "reality" itself is "reset"