Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicists develop model for a real-life TARDIS

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Physicists develop model for a real-life TARDIS

Exotic matter will be discovered sooner or later. The question is what will happen when this TARDIS is put in use?

The two most likely scenarios are:

1: It violates the laws of physics and malfunctions.
2: It creates an alternative universe. So you're not traveling in your own time, but in a parallel one, leaving your own unaffected.

I don't think math is perfect. This is an example of why. Prove me wrong. And not with theory, with actual engineers making it happen.

6 hours ago, Twin said:

I'm going to read this entire article last month.

:lol: but don't bother. As soon as you read the last sentence you realise you've been wasting your time. :td:

I have an "on-demand" Time Machine that I use as necessary to alter past events.

For example, my wife say's:

"Where have you been, and WHAT have you been doing?????"

Spontaneously my recent past is altered...  :D

• Haha 1

"While is it mathematically feasible, it is not yet possible to build a space-time machine because we need materials - which we call exotic matter - to bend space-time in these impossible ways, but they have yet to be discovered," said Tippett.

So as the title should say

Physicists develop model for a  TARDIS

But you can already buy them at any good toy shop, Hamleys do them.

93851fc466a5b1cc0fd8fe5edee845d2.jpg

• Like 1

Oh I thought that they meant the "it's bigger on the inside" aspect of the tardis haha

Time travel is a lot of fun, it's just a pain to keep having to kill the early version of yourself.

• Haha 1

I've heard of this so-called "exotic matter" elsewhere.

Wonder what qualifies for "exotic"

I think if there ever really is a time we can travel forward and backward in time, it won't be anything like this. As in taking your physical self forward or back, but it will be your consciousness traveling.
Don't ask me how though.

In order to make a time travel machine we need to explore the possibility that there is some difference between objects when they were THEN and what they are NOW. There is a possibility that if there is a difference then by adjusting that difference we might be able to move things from now to then simply by changing that difference.

It is possible that this “difference” might be in the realm of dark matter or dark energy, neither of which we can find and measure at this time. We can only infer their existence by the anomalous things that we can observe that can not be explained by normal currently understood means.

Another possibility is that the difference in in the area of entropy. If the big bang theory or something similar is true things were extremely close and simple at the beginning and have become increasingly diverse and chaotic ever since. One obvious difference is that the “space” between bits of matter has grown from the infinitely small to the unimaginable large and still growing. Could it be that the space between the atoms or even the orbital sizes of the parts of the atoms have grown over time. In the beginning this growth could have been very fast and now it is slower and so harder to detect. The available energy in an atom with a smaller radius might be geometrically different from the same atom with a larger radius.

Past, present and future may just be a measure of available energy just as in the material universe as you add or remove energy to and from material it goes from a gas to a liquid and then to a solid. Just because we perceive something as one state or another does not mean that this form can't be changed and then returned to its “normal” to us state.

Time travel offers up so many questions. IS the past set in stone? If we change the past what does that mean to the present that we left. Along with the concept of past, present and future we may be looking at a new definition of what makes up our universe. Is it only one page or is it like an infinite stack of pages all of which are equally real to those in it.

A machine that would allow time travel might be one that can simply adjust the “differences” in the matter of now back to the state of matter back “then”. The problem might be in changing it back for a return trip. I have often wondered if time is misunderstood because fo our limited ability to experience it. We generally perceive time like a river flowing from the past into the future. I suspect that it is instead more like a rock dropped into a calm lake and time is the wave front going in all directions from that single point except imagine it in three dimensions instead of just two.

My time line runs from that point in the past straight to me. There would be an infinite number of lines all going from and to specific points. Would each line be a separate timeline and universe. Would, when you adjusted the difference between then and now and moved into the past would you be limited to only your one specific line? With an infinite number of possible lines could you ever return to the one point on the one line that would be exactly the one that you left? Would the past that you went to be the one that would later reflect the future that you remember?

None of this is anything more than a wandering speculation. There is no mathematical proof and no science involved nor intended to be inferred. I am simply wondering and imagining possible causes and effects. Instead of just tearing this thought apart, I have no ego involved and can shred it easily myself, rather tell us what you think might be the true essence of time and if time travel is possible.

It will be easy to tell if someone really builds a time machine... it will be the guy that wins lotto every week.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that travel into the future would be a lot harder and less precise than travel into the past. There might also be the problem of returning to your original time/place because I suspect that time travel may also involve movement into near by parallel universes. The big things might match up but something as small in the over all stream as a single lotto number might not track true.