Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2 Killed At Video Game Competition

susieice

Gaming enthusiast were at a Madden Video Football competition in Jacksonville, FL when gun shots rang out. Two players were killed, 11 injured and the suspect had shot himself and was deceased at the scene. The news said the shooting started over a disagreement between players. wth :no:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-landing-mass-shooting-madden-tournament.html

• Sad 5

It may not be true but someone who was there told me the shooter had lost a round and got angry about that. I guess we will find out later.

What a crying shame. All of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's the victims. RIP. Now they say there were 3 killed, including the shooter who killed himself, and 9 injured by gunshot.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/26/jacksonville-shooting-victims-madden-tournament/1107090002/

• Thanks 1

This sounds like a premeditated murder/suicide. The shooter was only 24 years old, so even if he had his concealed carry permit, he didn't have it for long and definitely didn't have a reason to bring the weapon to a video game tournament. He probably suffered from depression and likely was on some kind of SSRI, as all young shooters tend to be. A dark, tragic story all around...:mellow:

“We have got to change, we’ve got to really stop and say to ourselves, ‘There’s something wrong,’” said Mr. Scott, who signed gun-control legislation into law after the Feb. 14 rampage at a high school in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 people dead. “Why are young men willing to give up their lives? Or why don’t they value somebody else’s life? We’ve got to figure this out. We don’t ever want this to happen again.”

Gov. Rick Scott is asking the right questions.

Jacksonville was already reeling from another deadly shooting over the weekend. One person was killed and two others were injured in a shooting after a high school football game on Friday. Mayor Curry blamed that violence on youth gangs.

Yeesh...

• Like 1

The shooter being interviewed a year prior

• Like 1

Good God, talk about a "poor loser" with anger management issues.

But why did he even bring a gun???

I think he planned this if he lost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Good God, talk about a "poor loser" with anger management issues.

But why did he even bring a gun???

I think he planned this if he lost.

Yeah, that’s what I’m reading into this as well. 

• Like 2

Another loon who had no business walking the streets. Bring back the asylums. The kooks out of control.

https://wtop.com/baltimore/2018/08/florida-shooting-suspect-was-twice-hospitalized-for-mental-illness/

“His hair would very often go unwashed for days. When I took his gaming equipment controllers away so he couldn’t play at 3 or 4 in the morning, I’d get up and find that he was just walking around the house in circles,” the mother said, according to a transcript in the court files.

At one point, she put his gaming controllers in her bedroom behind a locked door and he punched a hole in the door, she said.

Elizabeth Katz said her youngest son had increasing difficulty concentrating following his parents’ split. A judge awarded custody of the boy to his mother, with visitation rights to the father.

At times David “curled up into a ball,” refused to attend school and sobbed, she said. She asserted that her ex-husband instructed David not to take Risperidal — an anti-psychotic medication prescribed to him. The father claimed in court filings that David was not “diagnosed as psychotic.”

He missed large stretches of school while under his mother’s supervision. He was admitted to the nearby Sheppard Pratt mental health system for about 12 days in late 2007. Court documents say a psychiatrist at that time administered antidepressants. He later spent about 13 days at Potomac Ridge, a mental health services facility in Rockville.

• Like 1

The circle walking suggests some deep rooted obsessive disorder. Poor sod needed help, then he snapped and became a monster.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2018 at 11:11 AM, hacktorp said:

Jacksonville Shooter Was Member of Anti-Trump ‘Resistance’ – Referred to Trump Supporters at “Trumptards” – Murdered 3 People

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/08/jacksonville-shooter-was-member-of-anti-trump-resistance-referred-to-trump-supporters-at-trumptards-murdered-4-people/

Reddit’s wannabe detectives, and right-wing conspiracy blogs like the Gateway Pundit and Information Liberation, ran posts “confirming” that “ravenchamps” was the shooter’s account. Pavel, who gave only his first name out of fear for his safety, had posted critical comments about President Trump under that username in pro-Trump online communities on Reddit. “Liberal Redditors should not be allowed to own firearms. This is common sense,” declared Information Liberation writer Chris Menahan.

“To me, it’s hilarious,” Pavel said in a phone interview with The Washington Post. “They came to this conclusion with absolutely no factual evidence. People were taking my comments and making it [the shooter’s]. No one even messaged me to confirm that this was his [account].”

Source: Washington Post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Another loon who had no business walking the streets. Bring back the asylums. The kooks out of control.

https://wtop.com/baltimore/2018/08/florida-shooting-suspect-was-twice-hospitalized-for-mental-illness/

From Caspian's link:

In addition, Katz’s hospitalizations may have occurred before the Maryland General Assembly revamped the state’s firearms laws following the 2007 mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

If he was 24 at the time of the shootings and he was hospitalized twice in 2007, he was only 13 years old when he was committed. The link says Maryland changed it's gun laws in 2007 and Katz wasn't committed for 30 consecutive days, but would any hospitalization be considered his juvenile record and erased when he reached 18? I'm just wondering.

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The circle walking suggests some deep rooted obsessive disorder. Poor sod needed help, then he snapped and became a monster.

It seems he went a long time without receiving the help he needed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Again from Caspian's link:

In late 2007, Katz was admitted to the Sheppard Pratt mental health system near his Maryland home for about 12 days. Court documents say a psychiatrist at that time administered antidepressants. He later spent about 13 days at Potomac Ridge, a mental health services facility in Rockville.

Katz had a hard time dealing with his parent's divorce and he was committed twice in 2007. He was 13.

Just now, Tiggs said:

Reddit’s wannabe detectives, and right-wing conspiracy blogs like the Gateway Pundit and Information Liberation, ran posts “confirming” that “ravenchamps” was the shooter’s account. Pavel, who gave only his first name out of fear for his safety, had posted critical comments about President Trump under that username in pro-Trump online communities on Reddit. “Liberal Redditors should not be allowed to own firearms. This is common sense,” declared Information Liberation writer Chris Menahan.

“To me, it’s hilarious,” Pavel said in a phone interview with The Washington Post. “They came to this conclusion with absolutely no factual evidence. People were taking my comments and making it [the shooter’s]. No one even messaged me to confirm that this was his [account].”

Source: Washington Post

damage control,   i do not see how wapoo is any more credible than reddit.

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Again from Caspian's link:

In late 2007, Katz was admitted to the Sheppard Pratt mental health system near his Maryland home for about 12 days. Court documents say a psychiatrist at that time administered antidepressants. He later spent about 13 days at Potomac Ridge, a mental health services facility in Rockville.

Katz had a hard time dealing with his parent's divorce and he was committed twice in 2007. He was 13.

Poor kid had some early onset mental issues, or some ignorant parents that made it worse by forcing him to be institutionalized at a young age. Either way, what do we know about the weapon used? The burning question as always is "legally owned or not"? 

• Like 1

since he was in a mental facility when he was minor, it most likely did not make to database, and he would have no problem getting a gun, if that was all there was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, aztek said:

damage control,   i do not see how wapoo is any more credible than reddit.

I suspect it's difficult to continue posting on Reddit, after death. Your belief in miracles may vary.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:11 AM, hacktorp said:

Jacksonville Shooter Was Member of Anti-Trump ‘Resistance’ – Referred to Trump Supporters at “Trumptards” – Murdered 3 People

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/08/jacksonville-shooter-was-member-of-anti-trump-resistance-referred-to-trump-supporters-at-trumptards-murdered-4-people/

Is this real news or more fake news?

14 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The burning question as always is "legally owned or not"? 

Legally say the reports I have read.  

I think you mention Rick Scott asking the right questions, and that is a good start.  From there it takes a commitment of time and resources to find causes (probably more than one type of mental illness) and corrective action.  If there was a vote, I would say that was a very good use of my tax dollars.  In the long run it might be cheaper than making a fortress out of every school, shopping mall, theater, and public event.

15 hours ago, aztek said:

i do not see how wapoo is any more credible than reddit.

At least with a paper, you have a building and names to come after if it is a lie.  With reddit you got nothing, and almost an unlimited  group of posters.

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

At least with a paper, you have a building and names to come after if it is a lie.  With reddit you got nothing, and almost an unlimited  group of posters.

lmao, sure that stops print edition from lying, nope it does not.   

7 hours ago, Tiggs said:

I suspect it's difficult to continue posting on Reddit, after death. Your belief in miracles may vary.

are you saying person posting  that was dead at the time of him making the post?    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

are you saying person posting  that was dead at the time of him making the post?    

I'm saying that the account they thought was him kept posting after his death.