Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

US & Mexico reach trade agreement

15 posts in this topic

and then

Well, that's odd.  I could have sworn that the Mexican government officials had stated that there would be no renegotiation of NAFTA.  I stand to be corrected but that's what I remembered.

• Like 1

aztek

like trump said, deals will be renegotiated, and he kept his word.

• Like 4

OverSword

I can hardly wait to hear how bad this is from the media.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

and then
1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I can hardly wait to hear how bad this is from the media.

TEOTWAWKI for sure...

Sir Wearer of Hats

I suspect this won’t be a “look st how bad this is!” TDS story, but rather “look at the hypocrite! Slags off Mexico but still makes deals with them!” TDS story.

• Like 1

AnchorSteam
8 hours ago, and then said:

TEOTWAWKI for sure...

Oh, it will be ever worse than that!

Canada will be deeply insulted, just you wait and see. They got left out again.

All they did was make a part-time drama coach their Commander in Chief because he has a famous Daddy. Now they keep getting left behind or frozen out just because he appointed SJWs to every top office. Turn out activists that put Party Politics above National interests areon't very good diplomats, not unless they are dealing with other neo-commies. 

Better luck next time.

• Like 1

Tatetopa
8 hours ago, and then said:

TEOTWAWKI for sure...

Actually, it looks pretty good. and Canada will come along too either quicker or later.  The PM has his own problems in Canada.  He is smart enough to eat crow when he has to make nice.   The three countries do a trillion dollars of trade between them.  Supply chains and manufacturing centers are spread out across all three.   It is good for us as well as our partners.  Some fine tuning tuning that might help the auto industry and the petroleum industry.

• Like 1

Myles

This is a good deal.   Even the Trump haters should be able to admit it.   

Big Jim

I haven't heard much about this on the mainstream news.  I remember hearing a lot about the impending disaster (TEOTWAWKI) when the two leaders met and it wasn't love at first sight.  The Trump haters will admit nothing.  If they can't spin it, or nit pick some gaff from it, they will ignore it.  From a liberal perspective, and that includes the media, it rains every day in Trump Land.

• Like 1

Gromdor

As a liberal leaning globalist, I give the deal two thumbs up.  It's the same as NAFTA but with the requirement for the percentage of automobiles built in the US bumped up some and a 16$ minimum wage for Mexican autoworkers.  It also includes labor protections for Mexican workers: https://www.vox.com/2018/8/29/17791430/trump-mexico-trade-deal-nafta-labor

Improving the wages and working conditions in Mexico should help lessen illegal immigration.

Giving it a different name should get Trump supporters to approve it and will allow Trump to brag about replacing NAFTA.  Pretty much a win for everyone.  Only down side is that the changes seem to be narrowed down to the automotive industry, but all the other free trade stuff is there without the tariffs.  Hopefully it will also lessen some of the animosity between the US, Canada, and Mexico a bit too.  I'm not seeing anything in it that would really upset the Canadians to be honest.

• Like 4

kobolds
On 8/27/2018 at 11:35 PM, and then said:

Well, that's odd.  I could have sworn that the Mexican government officials had stated that there would be no renegotiation of NAFTA.  I stand to be corrected but that's what I remembered.

Probably because of this

There was hope that a new NAFTA could be solidified before Mexico's government turnover on Dec. 1, when leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador replaces moderate President Enrique Pena Nieto.

Gromdor

So I was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about the pros and cons of this potential deal.  With the trade war, it sounds like a heck of a deal for Mexico.  The non-compliance penalty apparently is a tariff capped at 2.5%.  The economists discussing the issue mentioned that being non-compliant and taking the 2.5% might be more cost effective than paying the $16 minimum wage.  It also gives them freedom for other violations as non-compliance is a status and not linked to specific actions.

Mexico is also part of TPP.  With Trump tossing around global tariffs, Mexico will be an island of tariff free export (or capped at 2.5%)  to the US unless Trump breaks an agreement that he himself brokered.  Companies still looking for lower costs but access to America's market are currently incentivized to set up at least nominal operations there.  Basically a backdoor for China or Europe to export to the US. 

lost_shaman
On 8/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, and then said:

I think you are right, then they had an election and voted in a new Administration that has not been opposed to the new negotiations.

• Like 1

AnchorSteam

Trudeau might want to take Trump's phone call next time. On the morning of 27 August he blew of the POTUS, so be it.

Just the latest of many snubs, the Canadian foreign minister goes around the world making anti-US speeches, meanwhile the Mexican minister has been to D.C. 40 times working on this deal. Working and making the deal.... how often has the Canadian minster been there since Trump got in?

She looks like she'd been constipated all her life, so "Diplomat of the Year"? Not seeing that and being an ex-news-reader makes it hard to see how she has that background but she did mock Mexico for making the deal on August 29... and then showed up late for a meeting the next day. A cheap dominance play, like in Vietnam last year. 

How about a vote of no-confidence, eh?