Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

M6 Motorway - Cheshire's 'Bermuda Triangle'

Mike Brooker

For decades now, the amount of accidents on the M6 Motorway between junctions 17 and 19 is completely unprecedented and statistically, this is without doubt one of the worst 'accident black-spots' on any Motorway network in the UK.
Motorway officials, the Highway agency and numerous traffic management bodies have literally spent years and vast amounts of money and resources, trying to understand what makes that stretch of the motorway, both North and Southbound so treacherous... to date, they have no explanation whatsoever....
I have also pondered this over the years and have conducted some research into this phenomenon. I was amazed at just how many people had posed this very same question over the decades. There appear to be two principal answers that come up, one is that the Motorway was built on a Roman burial site and the other, is that it was the site of the slaughter of a number of the Scottish army dating back over 200 years.
There is no clear evidence either way to support or substantiate these claims but what is clear is that something is very wrong to cause so many accidents on what is to all intents and purposes and fairly straight stretch of road.
I 'personally' believe there is something supernatural that has attached itself to this particular stretch of Motorway... when 'science' holds it's hands up and is at a complete loss to explain this plethora of accidents / incidents between junctions 17 and 19 of the M6; there is perhaps an alternate explanation. In my role as a Psychic Medium and Paranormal investigator, I am currently conducting my own personal investigation into this phenomenon and would appreciate any experiences, thought's and views that you may have.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As the problem is in both directions, I suspect a weather phenomenon caused by the topography of the area.

1 hour ago, Mike Brooker said:

what is clear is that something is very wrong to cause so many accidents on what is to all intents and purposes and fairly straight stretch of road.

Maybe the problem is that the road is too straight, so the motorists simply 'switch off'.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That is a very good point, which I have no doubt will certainly account for a percentage of the incidents / accidents; along with in-car distractions, lack of care and unfortunately general poor driving. I have tried to work these variables into the overall statistical equation and are part of the investigation. 

• Like 2

Welcome to UM @Mike Brooker,

Can you post your statistics please, and what it is that’s significant? Comparisons with similar sections of motorway/different similar motorways etc. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, acute said:

Maybe the problem is that the road is too straight, so the motorists simply 'switch off'.

If it helps..... I remember the "too straight" problem being identified as the cause of an accident black-spot on an A-road in the South-East or East Anglia somewhere, but I don't know how/if it was resolved.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From memory one of the problems on this stretch of road was topography. The road through that section is flatter and straighter than other parts of the motorway network. This can cause inattention and create distraction for the driver.

The road is also one of the busiest in the region, Tony Blair's labour government had identified the road as in need of extra capacity many years ago and there was an initial push to put another motorway along the same transport corridor but local NIMBY's and Green's objected to 12 lanes of traffic running through the area. The government eventually dropped the plan on cost grounds. 

Chevrons were painted onto the road in places and drivers advised to use these to maintain a gap between them and the car in front but at busy times this is not always practical as the distance between chevrons was calculated for about 70 mph. 

The road is now being 'upgraded' to managed motorway and the hard-shoulder bought into use as a running lane, along with continuous speed camera coverage. 

I would think this will have some effect on accident rates, at least in the short term. 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
grammar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Timothy

Many thanks indeed for your welcome; I truly appreciate that as a brand new member.

I must point out that I am not coming from this as a scientist but as a Paranormal investigator, which is good as I have absolutely no scientific background whatsoever... I wanted to post this on the forum as it is a subject I have mulled over and thought about for over 40 years now; man and boy so to speak. Over the years, I have spoken with a vast array of people who have shared with me their concerns over the sheer number of incidents / accidents that take place on the stretch of the M6 between junctions 16 and 19. I have also had a great number of people who have reported to me confidentially, as not to be scoffed at, about their own 'strange' and 'eerie' encounters on that particular stretch of the M6. 

From my own perspective as a Psychic, Sensitive or whatever one wishes to label me from the plethora of terms available, I 'personally' believe / feel that there is a real negative energy that envelops that part of the M6; I know only too well at the moment that this is subjective and can neither be proved nor disproved.. Yet... but my aim is to do my best to do all I can to get answers. 

In relation to 'statistics', the 'Highway Agency UK', acknowledged that on the stretch of the M6, between junctions 16 and 19, from the period January to August 2017 there were over 70 'serious' accidents; the 'conservative' estimate equates to around 1 every 3 days. 

I honestly don't purport to have the answers yet as to why there are so many incidents / accidents on this section of the M6 but my goal is to get them. This is why I truly appreciate everyone's comments; there are no right or wrong views but it all helps to build a picture of what may, or may not be causing this regular carnage.

Edited by Mike Brooker
misspelling
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Brooker said:

I must point out that I am not coming from this as a scientist but as a Paranormal investigato

Hi and welcome.

When was the last time you drove on that stretch?

Not sure why you would think anything paranornal, L.A.T.1961 has basically explained what the problems are. And a lot of drivers in a hurry.and ending up in an accident...as we see on other motorways.

There are a lot more drivers on the roads today and as the M6 is the longest motorway and one of the busiest, add that to the number of idiots on thr roads,  it is no surprise there are so many accidents.

• Like 3

Hi 'freetoroam' and thank you also for your warm welcome. 

I drive on that 'stretch' every day and yes, I could not agree with you more, I see some appalling maneuvers every day of quite shocking driving. I also agree that there are, without question, a lot more drivers on the road today, which of course would contribute to more incidents / accidents. I thought L.A.T.1961 put forward a very sensible and logical explanation. The reason I feel and I cannot stress enough, it is my own personal view and my own personal view alone, that there is a negativity attached to that particular stretch of the M6 between Junctions 16 and 19 is what I 'personally' feel whilst driving on that stretch and the multitude of people who have contacted me with their own personal experiences. 

I mentioned in an earlier comment that my aim is to get peoples thoughts and views on this phenomenon and to generate a discussion on this subject, so yours, is very welcome. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Brooker said:

that there is a negativity attached to that particular stretch of the M6

Anyone who knows that stretch could feel negativity approaching it,  if you know it is known for its accidents and you know this time could also mean another accident,  because you have no idea if all the drivers on there today are all good drivers, there is the posibility there is at least one idiot driver....then sure, this could indeed make some people feel negative.

It does not have anything to do with supernatural forces.

7 hours ago, Mike Brooker said:

accidents / incidents between junctions 17 and 19 of the M6;

Please note...

Most incidents seem to take place between junctions 16 at Crewe and 19 at Knutsford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/many-crashes-m6-13642957

It is about 19 miles between Crewe and Knutsford, how big was this Roman burial site? 

And were the soldiers slaughtered all along that route?

7 hours ago, Mike Brooker said:

Motorway was built on a Roman burial site and the other, is that it was the site of the slaughter of a number of the Scottish army dating back over 200 years.

And how many accidental deaths  along that stretch do you know about prior to the motorway being built?

• Like 4

Thank you 'freetoroam' for your input. I appreciate it as I'm sure other contributors will do also... it all helps for a healthy debate. As for how many accidental deaths prior to that 'stretch' being built is completely open to conjecture due to the many decades that have passed since it's construction. My only aim is to get peoples thought's and views not to be berated for my own. My reference to the Romans is not my own, it is taken from a broad consensus found openly on the internet. I am only looking for answers and of course, you may well be right so again, I thank you for your contribution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Brooker said:

Hi Timothy

Many thanks indeed for your welcome; I truly appreciate that as a brand new member.

I must point out that I am not coming from this as a scientist but as a Paranormal investigator, which is good as I have absolutely no scientific background whatsoever... I wanted to post this on the forum as it is a subject I have mulled over and thought about for over 40 years now; man and boy so to speak. Over the years, I have spoken with a vast array of people who have shared with me their concerns over the sheer number of incidents / accidents that take place on the stretch of the M6 between junctions 16 and 19. I have also had a great number of people who have reported to me confidentially, as not to be scoffed at, about their own 'strange' and 'eerie' encounters on that particular stretch of the M6. 

From my own perspective as a Psychic, Sensitive or whatever one wishes to label me from the plethora of terms available, I 'personally' believe / feel that there is a real negative energy that envelops that part of the M6; I know only too well at the moment that this is subjective and can neither be proved nor disproved.. Yet... but my aim is to do my best to do all I can to get answers. 

In relation to 'statistics', the 'Highway Agency UK', acknowledged that on the stretch of the M6, between junctions 16 and 19, from the period January to August 2017 there were over 70 'serious' accidents; the 'conservative' estimate equates to around 1 every 3 days. 

I honestly don't purport to have the answers yet as to why there are so many incidents / accidents on this section of the M6 but my goal is to get them. This is why I truly appreciate everyone's comments; there are no right or wrong views but it all helps to build a picture of what may, or may not be causing this regular carnage.

Fair play to you for being open about your perspective. Personally I can't entertain that there's anything other than purely mundane explanations though. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

there is the posibility there is at least one idiot driver.

Yes, there definitely is that possibility. 

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

From memory one of the problems on this stretch of road was topography. The road through that section is flatter and straighter than other parts of the motorway network. This can cause inattention and create distraction for the driver.

I don't know the area, but what I wondered initially also is are there for example, a large population base feeding into the M6 at one of these points, and  large cluster of employers at the other.  As in is this a heavily used short to and fro to work stretch? I know we had problems on the M4 with short distance traffic from Llanelli to Swansea at one time. I drove this stretch yesterday, it was a ****fest. 

I typed "M6 motorway in the rain" into Google image search and found out that even at very bad weather conditions a lot of car drivers, 20% or so, did not switched on the car lights. Is that normal in the UK?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, toast said:

I typed "M6 motorway in the rain" into Google image search and found out that even at very bad weather conditions a lot of car drivers, 20% or so, did not switched on the car lights. Is that normal in the UK?

Most will use lights if the conditions are bad enough, many cars have auto main lights and these will turn on without driver input. There are also daytime running lights, are on all the time, that have been fitted as standard to UK cars now for a few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I don't know the area, but what I wondered initially also is are there for example, a large population base feeding into the M6 at one of these points, and  large cluster of employers at the other.  As in is this a heavily used short to and fro to work stretch? I know we had problems on the M4 with short distance traffic from Llanelli to Swansea at one time. I drove this stretch yesterday, it was a ****fest. 

M6 J16 at Crewe is a busy junction and Crewe has quite a lot of factories still operating, Bentley motors being one. 

The road is used by a wide cross section of traffic, it links UK ferry ports to Ireland, Manchester to Birmingham and the south, as well as the main road link to Glasgow. If you try and use it at the moment it feels like everybody in the country is on there. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

There are also daytime running lights, are on all the time, that have been fitted as standard to UK cars now for a few years.

I didn't know this. The only new car I've bought does have this, but I just thought it must have had a Volvo somewhere in its ancestry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I didn't know this. The only new car I've bought does have this, but I just thought it must have had a Volvo somewhere in its ancestry. 

I think daytime running lights were fitted due to regulations bought in by EU a few years ago. The car I have has them fitted but I turned them off.

If you look through the list of options, built into the onboard computer, they can be disabled, which suggests they have to be fitted but not used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

M6 J16 at Crewe is a busy junction and Crewe has quite a lot of factories still operating, Bentley motors being one. 

The road is used by a wide cross section of traffic, it links UK ferry ports to Ireland, Manchester to Birmingham and the south, as well as the main road link to Glasgow. If you try and use it at the moment it feels like everybody in the country is on there. :D 

Mike Brooker says there is a roman burial site there...it must be huge. I am still waiting for his answer on that one. 

10 hours ago, Mike Brooker said:

There appear to be two principal answers that come up, one is that the Motorway was built on a Roman burial site and the other, is that it was the site of the slaughter of a number of the Scottish army dating back over 200 years.

21 minutes ago, Mike Brooker said:

I; didn't say that there is a Roman burial site there, that is what is purported on the 'world wide web'.

Sorry from your post above you seem to try to make a connectiion.  Does the www say the romam burial.site is a principle answrr to the accidents...or is that what you have come up with?

26 minutes ago, Mike Brooker said:

.I put this on the forum as a topic of interest on what I thought was a 'forum' for the unexplained mysteries and Paranormal...

But there is no unexplained mystery or anything paranormal about the accidents on the M6.

There is a section of the m56 which is particularly accident prone, especially at certain times of year , and I suspect  it and this section of the M6 have a similar problem.

Both are long straight sections of road passing through fairly flat landscapes- theres no curves lined with big trees, no hills..this is the sort of view you get driving along them:

image.png.6b4311214d5fae36fcceb625a22a59f8.png

Theres huge sections with nothing to break up that horizon, and thats where all the accidents happen.

Especially as I said , at certain times of year, when the sun is low and blinding in the sky, and you can do nothing but drive straight at it for mile after mile. And even driving north, its still reflected into your eyes by your own mirrors. 

Nothing supernatural here.  Just need to do something to break up that horizon.  

I think overtaking is an area with major issues. Yes that is obvious. What gets me, and I saw a classic example yesterday, is when slow moving traffic is overtaken by someone travelling at about 0.25 MPH faster than they are. Personally I just hang back in the slow lane tutting, but others try and speed the crabs up by by tailgating them. Everybody then bunches up, distances between vehicles drops to around 15', and accidents happen. Except to me because I've adopted a very superior air. 

• Like 2

Thread cleaned

Please keep the responses civil and respectful folks - especially when addressing a new member.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

It is rare for a new or relatively new car in the UK to not have daytime 'driving lights'.  I assume it's an EU edict, and (IMHO) a welcome one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saru said:

Thread cleaned

Please keep the responses civil and respectful folks - especially when addressing a new member.

Thank you.

Oh no!  I missed all the good stuff!

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2