Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Groovy Covers

zep73

The song I'm presenting here is amazing. It has a history like no other, and has been interpreted so many times that your head would spin.

You can read the full story on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Pines

The interpretations I'd like to present are the modern better known ones, starting with Lead Belly (1939)

Later, in 1972 Danish rock band Gasolin made a version called "Min Tøs" (My Chick)

And finally the version most people know, Nirvana's 1994 version

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

The first one is hilarious! Wouldn't you agree @Piney:D

I wouldn't be caught dead in fringe. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I like Phil Thornalley since he was a member of the cure for many years here is one loveable cover of John Lennons song Love by cure and another great cover by Martin L Gore of Depeche mode he covered comsat angels wonderful song Gone on his Couterfeit EP 

The orginal song by comsat angels 

Edited by Impedancer

On 8/28/2018 at 1:38 PM, sci-nerd said:

A cover of

Great pick! GnR were the kings of covers. It's a shame their Sympathy for the Devil never made an album cut. It rocks.

I heard "Don't you forget about me" the other day and was thinking how much better Billy Idol's version is.  He actually wrote that song for Simple Minds and once you know that every time you hear it you'll realize just how kuch if a Billy Idol song that is.

Here's his version.

I also love Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar. 

Edited by F3SS

5 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I heard "Don't you forget about me" the other day and was thinking how much better Billy Idol's version is.  He actually wrote that song for Simple Minds and once you know that every time you hear it you'll realize just how kuch if a Billy Idol song that is.

Here's his version.

As a science nerd I am used to checking facts, so here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_You_(Forget_About_Me)#Recording_history

"There were rumours about “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” being written for Billy Idol, but Keith denies them, saying that it was indeed written for Simple Minds. Both the writers were big Simple Minds fans, but the group turned the song down. The company then wanted Corey Hart, who had a huge hit at the time with “Sunglasses at Night” but Keith thought he wasn’t the guy, so they offered the song to Cy Curnin from The Fixx, Bryan Ferry, and Billy Idol, but all three declined; Idol did later perform a cover of it on his 2001 compilation album Greatest Hits."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

As a science nerd I am used to checking facts, so here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_You_(Forget_About_Me)#Recording_history

"There were rumours about “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” being written for Billy Idol, but Keith denies them, saying that it was indeed written for Simple Minds. Both the writers were big Simple Minds fans, but the group turned the song down. The company then wanted Corey Hart, who had a huge hit at the time with “Sunglasses at Night” but Keith thought he wasn’t the guy, so they offered the song to Cy Curnin from The Fixx, Bryan Ferry, and Billy Idol, but all three declined; Idol did later perform a cover of it on his 2001 compilation album Greatest Hits."

You just had to ruin for me! I just remember when that came out in '01 and had read that he actually wrote the song. Still though, it sounds perfect in his catalogue.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is not a cover per se. Robert Johnson recorded the original "Traveling Riverside Blues" in 1937, but it was very crude and simple. You can barely hear the resemblance.
Led Zeppelin's 1969 version took a few lines and riff's from Johnson's version and created a whole new song. In my opinion one of the best rock songs ever made.

Improvement of 

• Like 1