Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Faith an Accurate Pathway to Truth?

Jodie.Lynne

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Uh....I believe it was a counter point dear sir.  And with that I must log out to go and do some work that I have been attempting to avoid for at least seven hours.  See yall.  

There was no counter point. Everything you mentioned falls into the bracket of magical thinking. People tend to associate events with beliefs. So it's only a miracle by association only. Someone else might call it luck or chance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Congratulations. You folks have taken reductionism to where--as an argument against anything--it breaks down and begins devouring it's own tail, since--as piles of the same parts--all things are equal. One then flees back up the ladder to the constituent whole to other philosophies such as Emergentism, to discriminate and illuminate what the sum of those parts produce.

I consider myself very smart. But I don't consider myself well educated. But I do consider you very smart and well educated. And it's always a joy to read your posts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lightly said:

I know,.     But I wasn't trying to answer the entire topic.....it's just  an observation.    It seemed to me that people were mentioning Love earlier as if it exists as a "thing"....instead of a concept or ,as I believe, an act of faith.

Is there any actual evidence of Love ?   Loving acts, like buying flowers or candy for a Loved one doesn't constitute evidence of the existence of Love.  ......no more than praying on one's knees proves the existence of God.

But it seems most people accept the existence of Love ?

What would you consider evidence? A father killing himself working hard to provide for his family? A mother and father who's bedroom for a year was a hospital chair at the bedside of their child? A grandmother sacrificing herself so her grandchildren can survive?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love is sacrifice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, danydandan said:

What would you consider evidence? A father killing himself working hard to provide for his family? A mother and father who's bedroom for a year was a hospital chair at the bedside of their child? A grandmother sacrificing herself so her grandchildren can survive?

Hmmmm  thanks danydandan,   In light of those brilliant examples...... I humbly concede 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

"In 2005, Fisher led a research team that published a groundbreaking study that included the first functional MRI (fMRI) images of the brains of individuals in the throes of romantic love. Her team analyzed 2,500 brain scans of college students who viewed pictures of someone special to them and compared the scans to ones taken when the students looked at pictures of acquaintances. Photos of people they romantically loved caused the participants’ brains to become active in regions rich with dopamine, the so-called feel-good neurotransmitter. Two of the brain regions that showed activity in the fMRI scans were the caudate nucleus, a region associated with reward detection and expectation and the integration of sensory experiences into social behavior, and the ventral tegmental area, which is associated with pleasure, focused attention, and the motivation to pursue and acquire rewards."

In other words, habit, the cognitive appraisal comes after the biological reaction. 

http://neuro.hms.harvard.edu/harvard-mahoney-neuroscience-institute/brain-newsletter/and-brain-series/love-and-brain

"habit" doesn't agree, I'm not contesting that people in love  show changes in brain activity and brain chemicals, I am contesting the assertion that it was the chemicals that caused the person to fall in love, the chemicals are, as I indicated, a comcomitant happening, just as when people are frightened or angered, the brain produces chemicals that enter the bloodstream and stimulate the release of adrenalin. What you are saying , is that it was adrenalin made them angry or frightened ! What made them angry was their psychological response, sometimes a response to nothing more than a thought, or a memory being jogged, but usually some immediate external stimulus.  And whilst all the scientific jargon about the neurology of being "in love" may be valid, the person who has never fallen in love, will still be completely oblivious to the real meaning of the term, no matter how hard they study that literature.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

Right.  But, I think there should be a distinction between love and lust.  Two different things.....IMO.  Now, if one can put those two together, I think that's where the fireworks happen.  :]

That goes without saying, though those who have never  "fallen in love", may have their doubts. 

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

Of course, in physical reality - a thing could never be greater than the sum of it's parts though........right?

Not right.
Lets take a pop culture reference as an example. The movie series 'The Avengers', a team made up of super powered heroes. Each one is powerful alone, but together, are far more powerful and potent than any one member.

Or, a more mundane example: Take a stick, maybe a little thicker than a pencil. Easy enough to snap in two, right? Now, take 12 similar sticks and tie them in a bundle. Much harder to break.

A man can build a wall, plow a field, scale a mountain. But as a team of men, they could do the job faster and be more productive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guyver said:

Me too.  Wawohwawoh.

LOL just like a guy ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lightly said:

I hear ya Sherapy,   But , I gotta stand my ground.... I've thought about it for decades.    "an act of love" is not love.  IMHO....   Love cannot be proven any more than any other act of faith.   Giving or receiving Love are acts of faith.       .

Can Hate (or any other emotion) be seen, or measured, or proven ?  No.  It can be declared and certain acts might elude to it's existence,. But, it can't be proven any more than Love can be proven to exist.

People can lie.....buy the wife flowers and candy and whatever....and tell her they Love her all to pieces, .and in reality ,. Not love  her at all.

You obviously have never felt loved, to be saying what you are saying. 

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You obviously have never felt loved, to be saying what you are saying. 

Have you ever considered that you might just be a drama queen? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Have you ever considered that you might just be a drama queen? 

I thought it was a very sad posting, to doubt the existence of love in the world, says you've had a tragic life.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

"habit" doesn't agree, I'm not contesting that people in love  show changes in brain activity and brain chemicals, I am contesting the assertion that it was the chemicals that caused the person to fall in love, the chemicals are, as I indicated, a comcomitant happening, just as when people are frightened or angered, the brain produces chemicals that enter the bloodstream and stimulate the release of adrenalin. What you are saying , is that it was adrenalin made them angry or frightened ! What made them angry was their psychological response, sometimes a response to nothing more than a thought, or a memory being jogged, but usually some immediate external stimulus.  And whilst all the scientific jargon about the neurology of being "in love" may be valid, the person who has never fallen in love, will still be completely oblivious to the real meaning of the term, no matter how hard they study that literature.

Well habit, you are in error, 

"Emotions more or less begin inside two almond-shaped structures in our brains which are called the amygdala. The amygdala is so efficient at warning us about threats, that it gets us reacting before the cortex (the part of the brain responsible for thought and judgment) is able to check on the reasonableness of our reaction. In other words, our brains are wired in such a way as to influence us to act before we can properly consider the consequences of our actions. This is not an excuse for behaving badly..."
In otherwords, cognitive appraisal comes after the angry reaction, this is not to say that we can't override our anger or learn ways to manage our anger, temper it etc. deep breathing, walking away etc. but biologically we are wired to react first, think later. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I thought it was a very sad posting, to doubt the existence of love in the world, says you've had a tragic life.

I don't see lightly as a tragic person, just someone trying to share their position on love. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

Well habit, you are wrong, 

"Emotions more or less begin inside two almond-shaped structures in our brains which are called the amygdala. The amygdala is so efficient at warning us about threats, that it gets us reacting before the cortex (the part of the brain responsible for thought and judgment) is able to check on the reasonableness of our reaction. In other words, our brains are wired in such a way as to influence us to act before we can properly consider the consequences of our actions. This is not an excuse for behaving badly..."
In otherwords, cognitive appraisal comes after the angry reaction, this is not to say that we can't override our anger or learn ways to manage our anger, temper it etc. deep breathing, walking away etc. but biologically we are wired to react first think later. 

Utter rubbish, people get angry just cogitating on past events, they don't suddenly find themselves getting angry, and a few seconds later realise what they are getting angry about. The two go hand-in-hand, and it ridiculous to try and separate them.

33 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

LOL just like a guy ;)

Hey, I am all for lust too. 

Go into my profile and look at "about me" that handsome guy is the man I have been married to for 23 years and lust is alive and well for us. Lol 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Habitat said:

So you have never considered that option I take it? 

People learn from lessons in life too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In some cultures, being "in love", is regarded as a psychological disorder, a kind of mania, and whilst that seems a kill-joy attitude, there is an element of truth to it. I think many people, reflecting on infatuations, can't really rationalize how it came to be.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Utter rubbish, people get angry just cogitating on past events, they don't suddenly find themselves getting angry, and a few seconds later realise what they are getting angry about. The two go hand-in-hand, and it ridiculous to try and separate them.

There is more than just a cognitive perspective on anger habit, you were just arguing on your opinion that one can't get mad unless they are provoked cognitively, you are wrong. You can get mad and react before you even know what hit you. Don't tell me you think you have complete control over everything including your amygdala, got news for you your prefrontal cortex also kicks in its the part of the brain that kicks in to control angry outbursts. 

• Like 2

Just now, Habitat said:

In some cultures, being "in love", is regarded as a psychological disorder, a kind of mania, and whilst that seems a kill-joy attitude, there is an element of truth to it. I think many people, reflecting on infatuations, can't really rationalize how it came to be.

Dopamine rush. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So you have never considered that option I take it? 

People learn from lessons in life too. 

I am not talking about "romantic" love in relation to that post.

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

There is more than just a cognitive perspective on anger habit, you were just arguing on your opinion that one can't get mad unless they are provoked cognitively, you are wrong. You can get mad and react before you even know what hit you. Don't tell me you think you have complete control over everything including your amygdala, got news for you your prefrontal cortex also kicks in its the part of the brain that kicks in to control angry outbursts. 

Of course they are provoked, internally or externally, there is still conscious awareness of what is making you angry, before acting on it.

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Dopamine rush. 

You are trying to reduce psychology to chemicals, clearly incorrect.

21 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Hey, I am all for lust too. 

Go into my profile and look at "about me" that handsome guy is the man I have been married to for 23 years and lust is alive and well for us. Lol 

I have and you are both beautiful and lucky kids! 

And believe me, I have no issues with lust! I could tell stories, but this is a family channel ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1