Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Faith an Accurate Pathway to Truth?

Jodie.Lynne

20 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Hahaha.......one time I hit the ball into the water for like.....IDK.....the fiftieth time.....and I got all enraged, shouted some obscenities....and went for the golf bag.  I was going to pull the water throw......

Then suddenly a little tiny voice (figurative) in the back of my head said, "Hey Dude!  Your car keys, wallet, and cell phone are in that bag.  Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

So I dropped the bag, my head, and quietly walked away.  lol 

You think that's bad.

You should see me teaching Guitar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Guyver said:

If A, then B; if not A then not B.  I see a simple beauty in this type of logic. 

There are logics which work like that, but they are tricky to use and their names are hard to spell.

I think you're thinking of one where If A, then B; if not B then not A.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

There are logics which work like that, but they are tricky to use and their names are hard to spell.

I think you're thinking of one where If A, then B; if not B then not A.

When arguing modus tollens( I think) does it matter if position A or B, comes first in the contraposition? I actually can't remember if it does. I assume it does,.

Edit: A wee truth table, reveals I can't remember how to do this stuff anymore.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

The last time I tee'd off. I threw my golf clubs into the river going through Carton House.

I don't have the patience for Golf.

"Golf? Golf is a mental disorder.". Edgar Rice Burroughs

Golf saved me.  I love golf.  Different strokes for different folks I guess....yuk yuk and I thank you.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I agree that love meaning  "you never have to say your sorry" is unrealistic and impractical if you are looking at it literally, but if you look at it deeper the aphorism is an attempt to express the essence of love which is "ideally" built on the standard of unconditional, meaning one understands that love will have its challenges that will call upon each other to choose actions that propel them to let go and move forward as oppossed to being a long suffering doormat or wallow in resentment etc. etc. To me, it is a reminder that love is compassion in action and compassion seeks to bring peace, whatever that means at the time. 

I do observe that some expressions of faith are about being a superhero in ones own mind, not in every case, but in some. Faith can become a crutch taken to an extreme that serves to isolate and inspire conflict as oppossed to building bridges and embracing diversity. 

Just my two cents, and Habit next time add your thoughts on why you think something is so "unbeatably dumb."

What, love means that your apology is "understood", it does not require to be expressed ? Anyone that is truly sorry, won't feel it is an effort or chore, to apologize, to anyone. I'd say Caesar probably didn't feel obliged to say sorry to anyone at all, but that was a function of power, not love.

Edited by Habitat

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

What, love means that your apology is "understood", it does not require to be expressed ? Anyone that is truly sorry, won't feel it is an effort or chore, to apologize, to anyone. I'd say Caesar probably didn't feel obliged to say sorry to anyone at all, but that was a function of power, not love.

Come on Habit, you have been in love right? 

Of course, an apology has a place in relationships, so does accepting the apology. 

I agree, loving relationships have no issue with an apology,  it is a given. 

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Come on Habit, you have been in love right? 

Of course, an apology has a place in relationships, so does accepting the apology. 

I agree, loving relationships have no issue with an apology,  it is a given. 

I'm sorry, I can't look at "Love means never having to say you're sorry", without cerebral distress, as the synapses can't deal with it.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I'm sorry, I can't look at "Love means never having to say you're sorry", without cerebral distress, as the synapses can't deal with it.

Habit, just breath it is only an aphorism. You will be okay. 

:wub::P

• Like 1

Love means never having to say you’re sorry.  That is something interesting to think about.  I think that came from the movie Love Story from back in the seventies.  At least, that’s where I heard it.  I do like it.  I don’t really understand it, except in the sense that it would seem a very high level kind of love.

In one sense, if you could life in such a way as to never need to say “I’m sorry” you’d be perfect.

Guyver, it is a charming thought that another could forgive our trespasses, without even a thought we might make a token concession of have transgressed, but alas that is characteristic of infatuation, a state that is not apt to last. I guess that is why it became part of "Love Story". I do recall a girl I knew at the time, saw that movie several times, she was pretty enthusiastic about it. And quite a lovely girl, on reflection.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Love means never having to say you’re sorry.

You never have to say you are sorry, because you wouldn't do anything to bring harm or sorrow to the one you love.

I think you are taking it a bit too literal.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You never have to say you are sorry, because you wouldn't do anything to bring harm or sorrow to the one you love.

Interesting slant on it, but misunderstandings happen in the very best regulated situations. Best to clear them up with a few kind words.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Right.  That is the Apostle Paul’s opinion in the epistles as well. I think, from the movie anyway, it could be interpreted to mean that you love someone so completely that it wouldn’t matter what they did - or if they ever said sorry, you wouldn’t feel any different about them.  Like, a hopeless love that can never be solved.  Anyway, that’s how I remember thinking about it.

• Like 1

I am reminded of this lovely little tale ...

~

The Gift of the Magi - Wikipedia

The Gift of the Magi" is a short story, written by O. Henry about a young husband and wife and how they deal with the challenge of buying ... Della then admits to Jim that she sold her hair to buy him his present. ... chain she bought for him, to which Jim says he sold his watch to get the money to buy her ornamental combs.

~

~

A lot of people gets the knickers all twisted up when I say its an old chinese tale from way long ago in the past ...

New Literature in Chinese: China and the World

Zhu Shoutong - 2017 - ‎History
In the story, the husband sold his most treasured watch to buy a comb for his wife to show his love for her, while the wife sold her beautiful hair to buy her ...

~

Its such a great tale that I believe everybody has some version of it to claim as their own ...

~

This one is a gem too ...

~

~

[00.03:04]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's one hell of an ad, 3ye.

My understanding of the catch phrase from Erich Segal's Love Story (spoiler alert) is that love is worth the pain of disapproval (the man's family disowns him because of whom he fell in love with) and of loss (the woman dies young).

As in 3ye's vid, love sometimes involves saying you're sorry for what isn't remotely a fault (being born unable to speak and hear). I believe Segal's intent was more like:

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So that catchphrase means, Eight Bits, that you don't apologize for loving someone, to a third party ? Is that it ? I'll have to take that on trust, I've obviously got an imprint that won't go away, that it means that in the "perfect relationship", that the need for apology is superfluous, as it is understood you are automatically sorry for any transgressions, and don't need to verbalise it. Anyways, it is alleged that Ryan O'Neal, who starred in the movie, declared it the "dumbest thing I ever heard " !

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Habit, just breath it is only an aphorism. You will be okay. 

:wub::P

You're talking to someone that asked for health advice from the Spirit world, and then found the answer he was looking for from a piece of discarded candy wrapper on the sidewalk. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

You're talking to someone that asked for health advice from the Spirit world, and then found the answer he was looking for from a piece of discarded candy wrapper on the sidewalk. 

Is that a round-about way of saying you think I'm a nut job who's best ignored ? Too bad you don't employ a more direct way of speaking ! But all is well, I understand you have an investment to protect, I do hope you haven't invested too heavily in it, because it is a fruitless exercise.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Is that a round-about way of saying you think I'm a nut job who's best ignored ?

Definitely. 

Too bad you don't employ a more direct way of speaking !

I thought I did, but with a few loopholes here and there.

But all is well, I understand you have an investment to protect, I do hope you haven't invested too heavily in it, because it is a fruitless exercise.

You act if I'm selling shirts.

If I was going to make shirts? It would mean I was in the position to give them away for free. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

You act if I'm selling shirts.

You act as though you are trying to sell yourself the idea that materialism is the be-all and end-all. But aren't being entirely successful. I can't even say it came as a shock to me, to find out it isn't. There isn't anything to be lost by just leaving it an open question, but if you have that intransigent fixity of ideas, you will pay the price of having that nagging doubt still there. Put it to bed with these words, "I really don't know what may ultimately be". Words to live by.

• Like 1