Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Faith an Accurate Pathway to Truth?

Jodie.Lynne

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Taken to extremes however can lead to dead bodies.

A lot of different extremes can lead to dead bodies, but  I'd say you are misguided in thinking that what is called religious violence is based on religion, it is far more connected to ethnic, cultural and political differences, the differences in religion between warring groups, is not likely to be the central issue at all. 

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

A lot of different extremes can lead to dead bodies, but  I'd say you are misguided in thinking that what is called religious violence is based on religion, it is far more connected to ethnic, cultural and political differences, the differences in religion between warring groups, is not likely to be the central issue at all. 

I don't recall asking what you thought.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Still "hammering away" ? The faith you are seeking, but seemingly not finding, is that religious faith is completely unwarranted.  The fact you persist, is a kind of recognition, that there might be something there, after all. You are smart enough to know you can't disprove it, but apparently not smart enough to realise you are dealing with your own unresolved internal conflict, that you are just projecting on to the world. In truth, you haven't even managed to convince yourself, yet want others to be convinced by your propaganda ?

It's funny how you're actually describing yourself, but it's sad you do not realise it.

Faith is chance to be a superhero in one's own mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

It's funny how you're actually describing yourself, but it's sad you do not realise it.

Bad guess, I don't have the faith, I just accept I don't know. It is all too apparent many haunt these parts looking for reassurance that they are "right" in disowning anything and everything to do with religion, and all the better if some lame religious argument can be shot down in flames, as a side benefit. The police say every crime needs to be examined for motive and opportunity, we see the internet forum is the "opportunity" the suspects have here, and the motive is clearly to shore up what really is a belief,the belief that religion is baseless. But the "crime" is one the perpetrators commit against themselves, in kidding themselves they are right. If they really knew they were right, they'd have left the scene of the crime by now ! And that I do know !

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't recall asking what you thought.

Your hostility is starting to show, perhaps I was getting too close to the truth, that so-called religious violence, is largely a case of divergent or different religious beliefs being co-opted, as another point of difference, between  ethnically, culturally, and politically different groups, warring, usually over access to resources. I do understand that doesn't suit your narrative, but perhaps you can illustrate where different religious groups that are not either ethnically, culturally, or politically distinct, have gone to war. Are the Episcopalians and the Baptists slaughtering one another, in your neck of the woods ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Will, are you trying to be funny or annoyingly?

Chillax dude. Lol 

When a person is faced with the autorevelation of truth, yeah, it's often funny how annoying it can be.

47 minutes ago, Habitat said:

but perhaps you can illustrate where different religious groups that are not either ethnically, culturally, or politically distinct, have gone to war.

I'll give you that religion isn't the cause of all wars, and since nothing as complicated as war ever plausibly has only one cause, religion cannot be the non-existent sole cause of any war. But are you proposing that religion plays no causal role in any war?

Also, doesn't facilitating and enabling war "count," at least a bit? Those notorious German military belt buckles; do you suppose they might just as well have read Howdy Doody mit uns, so long as they held the Germans' trousers up?

Edited by eight bits
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I'll give you that religion isn't the cause of all wars, and since nothing as complicated as war ever plausibly has only one cause, religion cannot be the non-existent sole cause of any war. But are you proposing that religion plays no causal role in any war?

Also, doesn't facilitating and enabling war "count," at least a bit? Those notorious German military belt buckles; do you suppose they might just as well have read Howdy Doody mit uns, so long as they held the Germans' trousers up?

Religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, are intertwined, naturally what differences that exist between warring groups will always feed into the situation, what they have in common, won't be mentioned. Even the "square head" appearance of some Germans became something to hate, from 1939-1945. Whatever is different, will be drafted into the war effort. But touting religion as a prime cause of war, is propaganda of another kind. I was blissfully ignorant of those belt buckles, but there is nothing to suppose that without the belief that "god is with us", a less martial spirit might have prevailed. It is little more than a minor add-on to the indoctrination menu. 

Edited by Habitat

14 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Those notorious German military belt buckles; do you suppose they might just as well have read Howdy Doody mit uns, so long as they held the Germans' trousers up?

To be honest, I don't think anyone would ask such a question unless they were prone to think like a cartoon character.

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

Bad guess, I don't have the faith, I just accept I don't know. It is all too apparent many haunt these parts looking for reassurance that they are "right" in disowning anything and everything to do with religion, and all the better if some lame religious argument can be shot down in flames, as a side benefit. The police say every crime needs to be examined for motive and opportunity, we see the internet forum is the "opportunity" the suspects have here, and the motive is clearly to shore up what really is a belief,the belief that religion is baseless. But the "crime" is one the perpetrators commit against themselves, in kidding themselves they are right. If they really knew they were right, they'd have left the scene of the crime by now ! And that I do know !

You're so full of yourself. You don't get it. Not even if I spelled it out for you.

As for the thread:

Faith is like fists full of hay that people line up to throw into a pile as someone honestly looks for a needle.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

Facts often have nothing to do with truth.

Horsefeathers! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Will, are you trying to be funny or annoyingly?

My vote is for the latter....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

I love “ Faith is the chance to be a superhero in one’s own mind.” 

I might use it in my profile. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

When a person is faced with the autorevelation of truth, yeah, it's often funny how annoying it can be.

What are you talking about, Will? 

You simply do not make sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

You're so full of yourself. You don't get it. Not even if I spelled it out for you.

As for the thread:

Faith is like fists full of hay that people line up to throw into a pile as someone honestly looks for a needle.

Did I ever advocate faith ? No. But you do, you have faith in the idea that religious belief, is without foundation, don't you ? Honest injun ? That I have reason to believe that belief to be wrong, is not the point, even if I had no such reason, I would still declare you a guesser, because that is what you are doing. It is a guess that is needless to take.

Edited by Habitat

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Did I ever advocate faith ? No. But you do, you have faith in the idea that religious belief, is without foundation, don't you ?That I have reason to believe that to be wrong, is not the point, even if I had no such reason, I would still declare you a guesser, because that is what you are doing. It is a guess that is needless to take.

latherrinse-repeat.jpg

• Like 1

The only lather here, is the one you have worked yourself into, trying to convince yourself, but obviously unsuccessfully. I think if you give up the effort, the situation will resolve itself. The dopamine ghost couldn't do the job, because it was a silly rationalization, but your psyche will do the job, if you quit the force-feeding of propaganda.

Edited by Habitat
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If you want to talk about the benefit of say religious faith at what I'll call a baseline. Not hardcore psycho belief. Just someone who might pray and try to be a better person. From this perspective I can see prayer as being a form of emotionally charged affirmation. Perhaps to express a desire or worry. Even therapeutic to a degree. Venting one's feelings in a way. If they ask god for help in doing something, like find a job. They are putting trust/faith in their god. This lead to more or less confirmation bias. However this had a benefit, they found a job. If they ask god to help them break a bad habit, say drugs. And that prayer allows them to let go of their emotional dependence upon whatever substance, it's works. A magical placebo, but effective none the less. Taken to extremes however can lead to dead bodies.

True. Most things taken to extremes are dangerous. 

• Like 1

Auto reveal [disabled]

Auto disbelieve [default]

Auto disengage [enabled]

Auto ingenuity [default]

Auto disagree [enabled]

Auto detraction [default]

Auto disparagement [enabled]

Auto click OK to continue [not recommended]

[Agree] to continue or [Cancel] to rinse and repeat

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Auto reveal [disabled]

You mean buried, but still functioning right under your feet.

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You mean buried, but still functioning right under your feet.

Your lack of sincerity, as much as your questionable honesty is more than revealing, is what I mean.

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Your lack of sincerity, as much as your questionable honesty is more than revealing, is what I mean.

~

Lol. That's a good one. Honestly.

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Lol. That's a good one. Honestly.

If you had exhibited any inclination of anything remotely close to honesty, it would make your claims of knowing anything resembling close to what is good, much more veritably acceptable. As it is and as far as it goes, your potty cakes of exhortation is hardly referential nor does it validates anything honest.

~

Edited by third_eye
QWERTY r too close to t
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I love “ Faith is the chance to be a superhero in one’s own mind.” 

I might use it in my profile. 

It is about the dumbest thing I have seen, since " Love means never having to say, you're sorry ", but that simply is unbeatable.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If you want to talk about the benefit of say religious faith at what I'll call a baseline. Not hardcore psycho belief. Just someone who might pray and try to be a better person. From this perspective I can see prayer as being a form of emotionally charged affirmation. Perhaps to express a desire or worry. Even therapeutic to a degree. Venting one's feelings in a way. If they ask god for help in doing something, like find a job. They are putting trust/faith in their god. This lead to more or less confirmation bias. However this had a benefit, they found a job. If they ask god to help them break a bad habit, say drugs. And that prayer allows them to let go of their emotional dependence upon whatever substance, it's works. A magical placebo, but effective none the less. Taken to extremes however can lead to dead bodies.

I remember once as a kid I "prayed" (I was messing about) for a game I wanted, minutes later, my mom came home and called me down. She told me to look in the draw, the game I "prayed" for was in there. Now I didn't think the pray worked, I know it was just a weird chance. Point is, it is easy to see how people think it works. Hence keeping the placebo effect etc going.

But aslong it doesn't hurt anyone etc etc, I don't see the problem tbh. Keeps them happy.

• Like 1