Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jodie.Lynne

Is Faith an Accurate Pathway to Truth?

1,348 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

DieChecker
8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The garbage the church teaches. It's all lies.

Even Davos doesn't say it is ALL garbage. That's a bit extreme. Like saying gays are evil, or some such rubbish. The Golden Rule is garbage? As an example....

Or are you specifically addressing church myth, as in the life of Jesus and the acts of God. Because that is all taken on faith as to of it is true or not. But still then can't be stated as lies, but as probably just made up.

Edited by DieChecker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, DieChecker said:

Even Davos doesn't say it is ALL garbage. That's a bit extreme. Like says gays are evil. The Golden Rule is garbage? As an example....

Or are you specifically addressing church myth, as in the life of Jesus and the acts of God. Because that is all taken on faith as to of it is true or not. But still then can't be stated ad lies, but as probably just made up.

The Golden rule is older than Christianity. If you remove god from the bible its easy to see that it's all man's will. All the rules and restrictions, cultural bias. Everything. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker

This is murder trying to do on my phone. <_<

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The Golden rule is older than Christianity. If you remove god from the bible its easy to see that it's all man's will. All the rules and restrictions, cultural bias. Everything. 

Regardless, Christianity teaches the Golden Rule, so is it a lie? Or do you find some things it teaches of worth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, DieChecker said:

This is murder trying to do on my phone. <_<

Regardless, Christianity teaches the Golden Rule, so is it a lie? Or do you find some things it teaches of worth?

I find nothing of value in any of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
40 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Wavering? What America do you live in? It had to be fought for state by state until the Supreme Court ruled on it in 2015. And that ruling is still being challenged today.

I think you need to research more on who was challenging it. Mostly it was LDS/Mormons who were politically trying to do so. Even the Catholics are starting to merely shrug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I find nothing of value in any of it. 

Is this recent? Not too long ago you seemed not so against.

My pastor would tell me at this point, if there is something troubling in your life, to ask if you'd let me pray for you. I understand if you say no.

(Editing on the phone is murder. Maybe if I turn off autocorrect)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I think you need to research more on who was challenging it. Mostly it was LDS/Mormons who were politically trying to do so. Even the Catholics are starting to merely shrug.

Where various religious organizations stand on the issue.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/12/21/where-christian-churches-stand-on-gay-marriage/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Is this recent? Not too long ago you seemed not so against.

My pastor would tell me at this point, if there is something troubling in your life, to ask if you'd let me pray for you. I understand if you say no.

(Editing on the phone is murder. Maybe if I turn off autocorrect)

And what would pray actually do? Make you feel like you've done something good? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
53 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

See, this right here is contradictory to what Christians tell us about their god. Supposedly loving and forgiving, etc. etc., but will torment you for eternity for using the brains that he supposedly gave us, and not relying on blind faith.

Forgive me for being blunt, but what "comforting bosom" would that be? I would sincerely like to hear some examples of this, before I counter them.

I actually believe most people will repent at the Last Judgement and be Saved. Jesus died so the way to Heaven is easy. 

Religion is the most popular social construct ever. It provides all kinds of comforts. Social, emotional, spiritual and financial. What is hard to understand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
Just now, XenoFish said:

And what would pray actually do? Make you feel like you've done something good? 

Depends. If God is real, He might help you. Regardless of your faith/belief. If I am doing it to feel good, I am doing it for entirely the wrong reasons. If God is not there, then you can at least know someone, somewhere cared for you as a fellow human.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

It provides all kinds of comforts. Social, emotional, spiritual and financial.

So does a bowling league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Depends. If God is real, He might help you. Regardless of your faith/belief. If I am doing it to feel good, I am doing it for entirely the wrong reasons. If God is not there, then you can at least know someone, somewhere cared for you as a fellow human.

Do whatever you want. I have trouble believing in people's sincerity. 

Edited by XenoFish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
6 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I actually believe most people will repent at the Last Judgement and be Saved. Jesus died so the way to Heaven is easy. 

Do you believe the Bible literally? Is 'The Revelation of St. John' an accurate prediction of future events?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
8 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You need to actually read that link. It says that the number of denominations that allow same sex marriage is increasing and the larger population denominations say it is not cut and dried anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So does a bowling league. 

Possibly. Though I've never known a bowling buddy to supply families with food and pay water/heating bills. Or provide coinciding services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

You need to actually read that link. It says that the number of denominations that allow same sex marriage is increasing and the larger population denominations say it is not cut and dried anymore.

Yes, I am, but it clearly shows that more groups than just the Mormons are opposed. The trend may be working towards acceptance, but overall I think it is acceptance due to being resigned to the idea that "godless sinners are winning" as opposed to true acceptance that gays and lesbians deserve the same rights and privileges that hetero's have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenWolf
28 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Even Davos doesn't say it is ALL garbage. That's a bit extreme. Like saying gays are evil, or some such rubbish. The Golden Rule is garbage? As an example....

All the sermons I've attended or heard, I can't recall them once ever exalting the Golden Rule. It's in all religions except for Satanism, Buddhists are the only ones I hear talk about the Golden Rule, and that is a spirituality not religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Do you believe the Bible literally? Is 'The Revelation of St. John' an accurate prediction of future events?

Possibly. I chose to believe it can happen that way. I don't know that ever phrase, of each angel breaking a seal, or reading a scroll, is going to happen. Impossible to know unless you are there at the time. But I chose to believe the end result will be everyone living in a spiritual body for what will seem to be forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Possibly. Though I've never known a bowling buddy to supply families with food and pay water/heating bills. Or provide coinciding services.

Except that most religious organizations take in far more than they give away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Possibly. I chose to believe it can happen that way. I don't know that ever phrase, of each angel breaking a seal, or reading a scroll, is going to happen. Impossible to know unless you are there at the time. But I chose to believe the end result will be everyone living in a spiritual body for what will seem to be forever. 

So it is fair to say that you think your savior will arrive at the head of an army of angels to separate the faithful from the unbelievers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Do whatever you want. I have trouble believing in people sincerity. 

I understand. Especially over the internet.

Know that I sit here in a dark room sharing with you as dinner waits in the other room. I've known you online a long time and respect your views and experience. And I wish to help, if only but muttering some words into the air.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, DieChecker said:

I understand. Especially over the internet.

Know that I sit here in a dark room sharing with you as dinner waits in the other room. I've known you online a long time and respect your views and experience. And I wish to help, if only but muttering some words into the air.

Sorry. I don't mean to be so short tempered with you. I'm just frustrated. Tired of so many things, too many dark clouds. Not your fault. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So it is fair to say that you think your savior will arrive at the head of an army of angels to separate the faithful from the unbelievers?

In a sense.... yes. Good battles evil everyday, but eventually there will be a show down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Except that most religious organizations take in far more than they give away.

But they do give away...

And lots if it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker

Dinner time, then work. Hopefully time to respond later. B)

Peace to all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.