Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Faith an Accurate Pathway to Truth?

Jodie.Lynne

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

After reading some of the innumerable pathetic posts by the spiritually blind who claim things like - love is only a chemical in the brain, there's no such thing as unselfishness, life has no purpose and is meaningless have gone out and commited suicide.

Two? Five? A dozen? Hundreds?

It's ok Will. You can keep yourself insulated from the real world with the torn out pages of The Urantia Book.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Do you watch the Ozarks?

I've seen the first season.  I thought it was well done, but disturbing.  

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Not enough response to my post for me to understand what you are saying here

I think she may be saying that you talk too much and sometimes in an obnoxious fashion?  I mean, that's how I interpret it.  I say this because of the saying, "Less is more."  It means.....that if you have too much of a good thing, it's no good....and just a little bit of something fantastic is quite enough.  

FWIW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

After reading some of the innumerable pathetic posts by the spiritually blind who claim things like - love is only a chemical in the brain, there's no such thing as unselfishness, life has no purpose and is meaningless have gone out and commited suicide.

Gag me with a spoon!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Sorry Nothing unfortunate about me or my life. :) 

I still have romantic love, and i still feel  physical attraction for my wife.

The former has always been the more important and the reason that we (and indeed all our family members going back generations) stay married for life  Often 50, 60, or even more, years  

Despite some modern urban myths, sex often becomes difficult or impossible for older people and thus a relationship based upon it is always problematical.

Sex is the icing; tasty  stimulating and colourful but not really needed to fill your hunger and enjoy your cake :) 

One is responsible for how one responds to external stimuli.

Something is only sad if you chose to perceive it to be so. Different cultural norms show that what people become sad or happy about varies according to cultural and individual perceptions ie we learn from  our culture when we are expected to feel happy or sad.   Spartan woman were happy if their son came home on a shield but sad if they demonstrated cowardice and survived  

You are simply wrong I had an uncle whose first wife died when he was in his seventies, after 50 years of marriage.  He took another, and she died 10 years later. He married a third time and survived her, living to be almost 100.

Sex had nothing to do with their marriages.  Companionship, friendship, attraction of minds, and a sense of the romantic was the basis.

I think  that the young often forget that people get old and often sex is a much lesser priority, even if it is one at all.

As i said ALL my relatives remained married all their lives,  often into their eighties and nineties, having been married for 50-60 years  There was no sex involved in the later years but still good, loving, caring, relationships Romance often has nothing to do with sex even when one is young It is  atmosphere; being together, feeling comfortable, doing things together etc.

It involves  friendship and companionship, duty, honour, chivalry,  protecting, nurturing, caring  and other qualities .  For both the young and the old, romantic love often has no sex at all, or only a certain level of cuddling exploring etc.  this does not diminish its quality  or intensity 

Geez, you don't get out much. I know folks in their nineties that are still sexually active. 

To me you just sound complacent, no effort put into romance or intimacy of a sexual nature. This means adapting to the circumstances, not quitting outright. Romance is nurtured. Just my two cents. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I know folks in their nineties that are still sexually active. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5183364

Wouldn't that look like a pair of raisins getting hot and sweaty......:blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oh my stars and garters! This took quite the unexpected turn.

Throwing my two cents in. 

There are many different forms of love, from the romantic "I will love my soulmate forever, even unto death" to the fraternal 'love all men as my brother".  And for those that say "Love can never really truly be known or demonstrated", I feel so very, very sorry for you. It is demonstrable in simple tiny acts, all the way up to the total and complete sacrifice of self for another.

Is 'love' just a chemical reaction? Yes.

And No. 

Love (or lust or infatuation) may start out as a rush of pheromones, endorphins, and dopamine (along with a little alcohol), but it has the potential to become so much more! Sometimes it grows, other times it withers. But love is not something that you can dissect and say "AHA! THIS is what love is!" It is not any one constituent part, but rather the whole that creates love.

That hot chick in the club? The one that makes all your blood rush South? Yeah, she may be the sexiest girl you've ever laid eyes on. But come the morning, and you find out she has the IQ of a gnat, and the social awareness of a flea? You may reconsider if she is "the One".

And Ladies, that hot stud in the fine designer clothes with the fast car? Yeah, you may get hot and bothered, but when you discover that he is more in love with himself, and you are just another (potential) bed partner, you may want to redefine what your idea of 'a catch' is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Geez, you don't get out much. I know folks in their nineties that are still sexually active. 

They may not have all the stamina and acrobatics of when they were in their 20's, but they still think their partner is the most beautiful creature on earth. :wub:  And that is wonderful.

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

It's ok Will. You can keep yourself insulated from the real world with the torn out pages of The Urantia Book.

Hope he's got more than that. That's stuff's rougher 'n cob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5183364

Wouldn't that look like a pair of raisins getting hot and sweaty......:blink:

It'd probably sound like two leather baseball gloves being slapped together.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, joc said:

That is a generic, hypothetical.  Give me a real life situation...an actual event...of someone you know who did just one  true unselfish thing.

Wow. What a dismal view of humanity. Are you really that imperceptive, or just being deliberately cynical, one wonders,

23 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Wow. What a dismal view of humanity. Are you really that imperceptive, or just being deliberately cynical, one wonders,

That's what I thought you cannot give a real life example so shut up.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Why can't people see the JOY that can come for such a giving.  Why do they SEE suffering, hardship, problems and difficulties in such challenges, rather than an opportunity to learn, grow, be empowered etc

Sorry if this gives offence Hammer and i can see that it might but i just don't get it 

Life is what we make of it  no matter what it throws at us 

How we deal with it both shapes and reflects our character.  

I've gone though long term sharing of the  suffering and  death of 4 greatly loved humans. Some took years, others only lasted months   Some involved hard work and long hours, but i got nothing but joy and satisfaction, empowerment and development as a human being, from those years  of 18-20  hour days, 7 days a week 

The other day I stopped and grabbed an ice cold Gatorade out of my cooler and handed it to a homeless person it was very hot

Did I really do a true unselfish Act? Just because I knew he was hot and thirsty and probably had little or no money... It's still made me feel good to make him feel good. I rest my case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Habitat said:

4 minutes ago, joc said:

Boys, behave! It's OK to disagree, but lets keep it civil! 

I'm kinda looking forward to being 'Saint Jodie' :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, joc said:

What a tragic case you are, it would not matter what anecdote was told, and I could tell many, you would simply refuse to believe it, you would attempt to twist it to fit you preconceived notion. Ta-ta now, I won't be responding to you again.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Will Due said:

More than this you reckon? 

Chilling Study Sums Up Link Between Religion And Suicide For Queer Youth

6102467_orig.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Podo said:

There is no such thing as altruism, merely mutually-beneficial actions.

The problem with altruism is that there are givers and takers. The more you give of yourself, the more people will take from you. Most forms of altruism are selfish acts with ulterior motives. Like Christian groups going over sea's to help in some relief deal, dropping off food and bibles. That isn't altruistic, it's done purely for selfish purposes. Donating to a charity might be a nice "selfless" act. However what was the real motivation behind doing it. That little hit of feel good chemicals? Ego boost? Putting up a good show so that you can exalt yourself by how righteous you are? When you get down to it, everything we do is out of our own self-interest. 

• Thanks 2

Altruism, by definition, is the opposite of a selfish act, if people really believe the world is devoid of such, that no-one does anything purely out of the goodness of their heart, then you can safely consider yourself to have reached the point of failure, you might as well have been an insect, to persist with that view.

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

What a tragic case you are, it would not matter what anecdote was told, and I could tell many, you would simply refuse to believe it, you would attempt to twist it to fit you preconceived notion. Ta-ta now, I won't be responding to you again.

You probably will because I'm like a train wreck right

44 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The problem with altruism is that there are givers and takers. The more you give of yourself, the more people will take from you. Most forms of altruism are selfish acts with ulterior motives. Like Christian groups going over sea's to help in some relief deal, dropping off food and bibles. That isn't altruistic, it's done purely for selfish purposes. Donating to a charity might be a nice "selfless" act. However what was the real motivation behind doing it. That little hit of feel good chemicals? Ego boost? Putting up a good show so that you can exalt yourself by how righteous you are? When you get down to it, everything we do is out of our own self-interest. 

I quite believe everything you do, has a motive that eventually circles back to you, you are just imagining everyone is the same as you, in that regard. They aren't. Similarly,the chronically dishonest, imagine everyone else is "on the make", just like them !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mainly because most people aren't as full of it as you are, Mr. Walker, neither seeking nor seeing any precious life lessons in the suffering and misery of others. I didn't learn a damn thing I didn't already know, save for my own breaking point, a lesson I could have lived without.

And I guess that is my point, exactly. 

Also, if you have to suffer (which  i don't believe anyone does, because suffering, unlike pain is a purely mental state of mind) )  then the LEAST you can do is learn something from it and get something out of it.  

You are who you are and I am who I am 

The difference seems to be that i am entirely happy and content with who I am, and my life, despite  its tragedies and losses.

So many others seem to endure life, with at  least some degree of misery underlying their entire existence. .  

13 hours ago, Habitat said:

I can quite believe that, given your lack of reaction to the bollocking you get around here ! :lol:

That goes to other people's nature and character,  not mine. I can only be responsible for my own.

I  often understand the motivations of others, even if i don't approve of them  (largely from teaching thousands of adolescents all with difernt backgrounds and characters..)

I am very lucky to be who i am, and many others never had such a good childhood/parenting or start in life.  

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

All our emotions are a bitter wine of which we sip upon each day. 

You should give up alcohol :) 

• Like 1

Hammer can you answer me something. And this is not directed at you by any means. What makes a holier than thou self-righteous a-hole? Is it their arrogance, ignorance, living is a bubble of self-delusion? Can you help me out here? Anyone else got 2 cents on this? 

I mean, I often say that those who are the 'most spiritual' are the worst people. They seem to lack a sense of humanity. Cuddling up to the god idea to the point where they live life with blinders on. 

Like Nietzsche said, "to live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in that suffering." 

• Thanks 1