Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oldest surviving Maya book declared authentic

Still Waters

Fifty-four years after it was sold by looters, an ancient Maya pictographic text was judged authentic by scholars Thursday.

Mexico's National Institute of History and Anthropology said the calendar-style text was made between 1021 and 1154 A.D. and is the oldest known pre-Hispanic document.

The 10 surviving pages of the tree-bark folding "book" will now be known as the Mexico Maya Codex. It had been known as the Grolier Codex. It may have originally had 20 pages, but some were lost after centuries in a cave in southern Chiapas state.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/mexico-maya-modex-1.4806032

• Like 6

it's about the movement of Venus. I just have to wonder if there aren't significances in that lost to out modern science

• Haha 1

I think I read somewhere once that several early cultures were obsessed with Venus because at the time it was one if the brjggest stars in the sky. I can't remember if they were all close to or below the equator cultures.

• Like 1

Great find! Nice to have something to add to our historical record of past cultures.

17 hours ago, skliss said:

I think I read somewhere once that several early cultures were obsessed with Venus because at the time it was one if the brjggest stars in the sky. I can't remember if they were all close to or below the equator cultures.

Still is. In a clear night you can often see it at the right time of year. 

• Like 1

Venus is pretty special because of its brightness and its position near the sun.  It has been called both the Morning Star and the Evening Star because during our orbits around the sun, Venus can appear in the morning and later in the year, it appears in the evening.    Its a pretty singular object in the sky.  If you want to see Mercury, you really have to look hard and at the right time.  It is close to the sun, and not very bright.  The outer planets don't have the same behavior as seen from earth.  

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 10:33 PM, skliss said:

Planets are "special" because they don't move the same way other stars do, which must have been very puzzling to early astronomers. In fact planet literally means wanderer in Greek. Venus is especially so for two reasons: one it is relatively close so it is very bright compared to most other objects, and two, it is inside our orbit around the sun so it is visible much more often than other planets (yes mercury is too but it is usually much dimmer). When it is seen rising or setting with the sun we call it the morning/evening star. 

• Like 2

Apologies to Tatetopa for nearly duplicating your post. I didn't read far enough down before posting myself.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 4:11 PM, papageorge1 said:

it's about the movement of Venus. I just have to wonder if there aren't significances in that lost to out modern science

Nothing like a little rampant, unsupported speculation.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Nothing like a little rampant, unsupported speculation.

--Jaylemurph

Nothing like the 'Shhh' librarian to any thought outside  the box

--PapaG