Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

La Llorona - Mexican legend

tracyrt66

I have never seen one in real life but have seen a couple pics that looked like me of her and I’m really drawn to this legend for some reason 

4 minutes ago, tracyrt66 said:

I am totally not sure about that name either 

Welcome to UM.

From your description "White witch that watched over children"  you must mean this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

I've changed the topic title for you and moved it to a more appropriate forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to La Llorona - Mexican legend

The only thing I know about the legend comes from an episode of "Grimm"... Seems like the legend is similar to a few other "violently remorseful spirits" legends from around the world...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 5:26 AM, Still Waters said:

Welcome to UM.

From your description "White witch that watched over children"  you must mean this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

I've changed the topic title for you and moved it to a more appropriate forum.

It is not a white witch is is a woman who cries for her children. La Llorona - ( means the woman who cries) it is an old legend from Mexico about a woman who killed her children and then threw them in the Rio Grande.( Great River) When she realized what she had done she started crying and screaming at the same time) The legend goes that she was a very poor Indian woman who fell in love with a Spanish guard. They both fell in love and when his mother saw her she was very angry. She told him how can you be in love with this ugly dark thing you will bring down our name. The son was crushed but listened to her. Later he found a beautiful Spanish woman and would parade around with her. He came to the Indian woman and asked for his children and wanted them to live with him and his new Spanish wife. The mother (Indian woman) saw and heard him she was completely heart broken instead of letting him have her children she killed them and threw them in the river. She realized what she had done and then threw herself in the river too she died also. To this day many still hear her crying and screaming and floats around. Here is a song made for her

Edited by Justice please
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Justice please said:

It is not a white witch is is a woman who cries for her children. La Llorona - ( means the woman who cries) it is an old legend from Mexico about a woman who killed her children and then threw them in the Rio Grande.( Great River) When she realized what she had done she started crying and screaming at the same time) The legend goes that she was a very poor Indian woman who fell in love with a Spanish guard. They both fell in love and when his mother saw her she was very angry. She told him how can you be in love with this ugly dark thing you will bring down our name. The son was crushed but listened to her. Later he found a beautiful Spanish woman and would parade around with her. He came to the Indian woman and asked for his children and wanted them to live with him and his new Spanish wife. The mother (Indian woman) saw and heard him she was completely heart broken instead of letting him have her children she killed them and threw them in the river. She realized what she had done and then threw herself in the river too she died also. To this day many still hear her crying and screaming and floats around. Here is a song made for her

I forgot to add that when she begins screaming and crying she says "Hay mis hijos" which means "Ooh my children!."

• 6 months later...

When I was growing up in New Mexico the story was that La Llorona was a woman who lost her children from drowning in the river and she cried on the beach until she finally jumped in and drown herself.  Walks the ditch banks and river banks looking for her children and it is a story used to scare children away from dangerous water.  I have no idea where it came from but it is also a common story used for the same purpose in Arizona.

Edited by Desertrat56

Hello!

I heard of this legend about a year ago and I came across several different versions. I'm not sure which version is the original one. Have any of you been taught this legend by family? I heard it was told to children/teenagers in many hispanic families as a cautionary tale!

If any of you are interested, I recently posted a video about La Llorona where I explore a couple versions for the legend and I take a look at some alleged evidence footage where we can see and hear her crying.

Please let me know what you think of the alleged evidence! 

Link: 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:43 AM, strange-phenomenon said:

Hello!

I heard of this legend about a year ago and I came across several different versions. I'm not sure which version is the original one. Have any of you been taught this legend by family? I heard it was told to children/teenagers in many hispanic families as a cautionary tale!

If any of you are interested, I recently posted a video about La Llorona where I explore a couple versions for the legend and I take a look at some alleged evidence footage where we can see and hear her crying.

Please let me know what you think of the alleged evidence! 

Link: 

I think you did a good job. But it is not the truth. I wrote the truth above I am Jusitce Please. I am of Mexican descent. I posted the truth above it may not be the exact story of La LLorona but is the most truthful version so far. My brother heard her and became very sick and had to be taken to the hospital. Yes another cousin went to visit an grand aunt of ours and found the llorona standing on the top of her headboard.my cousin was sleeping with her new born baby when she looked up she screamed and took off running never came back.