Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Doom II Secret From 1994 Has Been Unlocked

Daughter of the Nine Moons

A secret from 1994's Doom II, hidden for so long that its trigger was assumed to be a bug, has finally been discovered.

Via RPS it’s on Map 15, and involved a teleporter that would display as being a secret, but would never actually trigger. That’s because it couldn’t be set off by the player simply standing on it: a workaround had to be discovered.

Read more here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love games that hold lots of secrets. I wish modern games would have some of these old intricate map layouts. Instead everything about modern level designs is pretty obvious, even secret areas are often times pretty obvious that a hidden room is there.

• Like 2

So you run through corridors shooting at enemies before they can shoot you. What a concept! Next time I'm in 1994 I'll give it a try.

1 minute ago, Inn Spectre said:

So you run through corridors shooting at enemies before they can shoot you. What a concept! Next time I'm in 1994 I'll give it a try.

Pretty much the same as any Call of Duty style game. The only difference is that modern games can make their corridors look open while still being a corridor but paced much, much slower and hold your hand with markers so you don't get lost down that hallway that looks like an open city without any hidden doors or traps. Gaming was pretty tough back in 1994, you had to think sometimes and sometimes you died and had to do it over again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

I love games that hold lots of secrets. I wish modern games would have some of these old intricate map layouts. Instead everything about modern level designs is pretty obvious, even secret areas are often times pretty obvious that a hidden room is there.

90's fps games are better than the modern counterpart. There are some excerpts to this, but I still find the classic much more enjoyable. Quake, Quake 2, both Blood games, Doom, stuff like that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

90's fps games are better than the modern counterpart. There are some excerpts to this, but I still find the classic much more enjoyable. Quake, Quake 2, both Blood games, Doom, stuff like that. 

Often it seems the simplest games are the most addictive and/or fun to play. Look at some of those cell phone games that people can't stop playing. I never played PC games until the Unreal was released in 98 but played some Doom style clones on Playstation like Disrupter or Powerslave. Great games indeed. However watching the gameplay videos like the one posted is hard to watch because it moves so fast. I completely missed the secret that was being described including it's work around. Those games moved really fast and if you're the one playing it, it's not nearly as bad as trying to watch someone else that knows what they're doing and isn't pacing themselves for the viewer. The maps are basically a blur lol

• 4 weeks later...