Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nestle says slavery reporting could cost

rashore

One of the world's largest food and drink companies has warned proposed legislation requiring big business to report on their efforts to combat modern slavery could hit consumers' hip pockets.

Companies operating in Australia with an annual turnover of $100 million or more would be required to annually report on the risks of modern slavery within their business and the actions they've taken to address those risks under the federal government's draft Modern Slavery Bill 2018.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/nestle-says-slavery-reporting-requirements-could-cost-customers-20180816-p4zy5l.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have they not been watching social media? It may not matter about their report if they start getting boycotted because of this.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Have they not been watching social media? It may not matter about their report if they start getting boycotted because of this.

They should have been boycotted when they said they wanted to privatize all the water, claiming it was not a human right to have water.

• Like 8

What are they even trying to achieve with a warning like that? Are they trying to justify the things they have done/allowed to  happen in the past? Are they trying to get the larger public to look away so that they can continue?

It's just disgusting.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reports would have to cover issues related to human trafficking, slavery, sexual servitude and child labour within businesses' operations and supply chains.

Nestle in 2015 acknowledged serious issues with slavery in its supply chain after commissioning global non-profit Verite to investigate six production sites in Thailand

Nestle has also acknowledged issues with child labour in its cocoa supply chain and spoken strongly against the practice. 

Why are they still in business?

These people do not care, they only care when someone mentions it. They knew damn well what was going on. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Why are they still in business?

These people do not care, they only care when someone mentions it. They knew damn well what was going on. 

Yeah, they care so much they felt the need to tell everyone that they would pass the cost along to the consumer.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Yeah, they care so much they felt the need to tell everyone that they would pass the cost along to the consumer.

More fool for being a customer.

This is not new news, i do not buy any Nestle products,  not done for years now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

More fool for being a customer.

This is not new news, i do not buy any Nestle products,  not done for years now. 

Yeah it was the water thing that did it for me.

If water isn't a human right, then there are no human rights.

• Like 1

It won't hurt my back pocket.  I avoid buying Nestle's products as much as I can already.  None of it is necessary food items.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

They should have been boycotted when they said they wanted to privatize all the water, claiming it was not a human right to have water.

I have been boycotting them since then. I still have a hankering for Allen’s Lollies, sadly Nestle owns them. And Uncle Toby’s Oats. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I have been boycotting them since then. I still have a hankering for Allen’s Lollies, sadly Nestle owns them. And Uncle Toby’s Oats. 

I  still would love a cookies and cream chocolate bar, but not as much as I love(or need) water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yeah, I was surprised at how much stuff they owned.