Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leak on ISS was 'drilled from the inside'

UM-Bot

16 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

:) It's been repaired. There is no indication that it will impact the mission any further.

No, it isnt repaired, its fixed. A repair would require the replacement of the complete section/module that got damaged. (I know, nitpicking, but hell, I`m  a German.)

27 minutes ago, toast said:

No, it isnt repaired, its fixed. A repair would require the replacement of the complete section/module that got damaged. (I know, nitpicking, but hell, I`m  a German.)

Oh ho now laddy DON'T you get me STARTED! read in a gruff scottish accent  :)

re·pair1
rəˈper/
verb

1. 1.
    fix or mend (a thing suffering from damage or a fault).
    "faulty electrical appliances should be repaired by an electrician"
    synonyms: mend, fix (up), put/set right, restore, restore to working order, overhaul, service; More

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, toast said:

The crew capsule is ok, it is the orbital module which got drilled but no problem these sections never return to Earth.

The only problem I see here is that the toilet is located in the orbital module, so maybe it cannot be used on the flight back. :lol:

Thanks, should be no problem then since it is a short trip home.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Considering ISS is among or the only project which has cooperation between usa and Russia if anything would have happened, it would have made the relationship between them very ugly and any such future cooperation would have become very difficult. 

35 minutes ago, John Allanson said:

Well at least they were decent enough not to cover the toilet seat in novichok, the ethics are obviously improving!

"  Well at least they were decent enough not to cover the toilet seat " ... my evil says "that seat is obviously a splash guard anyone with a brain can see that'', ethics would say be sanitary.

Russian built I think quality. :lol:

... Now that was pretty good !
However ! --that might change in the future though just like China if they survive their polution, amazing tech and quality from that side of the rock soon. What some of the world sees is just whatever, see they've a motto ? something close to...? business practice ..... ? something silly....? hmmm the states and others will buy anything, Oh! I forget now.
THey've quality and extreme technology here and there but its not produced for others or shown to outsiders , not sure that's not really phrased right oh well you get the meaning.

Edited by MWoo7

On 9/5/2018 at 1:50 PM, kartikg said:

Considering ISS is among or the only project which has cooperation between usa and Russia if anything would have happened, it would have made the relationship between them very ugly and any such future cooperation would have become very difficult. 

I think this touches on what might really be going on here. An attempt to sow discord and mistrust between the USA and Russia. Not an outlandish idea, considering the current relationship between the two nations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

I think this touches on what might really be going on here. An attempt to sow discord and mistrust between the USA and Russia. Not an outlandish idea, considering the current relationship between the two nations.

There are several other countries involved with the ISS and no single country has been accused of anything so not a very effective campaign to sow discord.

I thought I heard that the Russians now know exactly who did this.

13 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I thought I heard that the Russians now know exactly who did this.

That would be news to me.  Was it in production or in orbit?

Edited by Merc14

2 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

That would be news to me. 

Yeah, I can't seem to find the reference anymore.

My bad.

Just now, pallidin said:

Yeah, I can't seem to find the reference anymore.

My bad.

No worries, I just hadn't heard anything.  I suspect someone screwed up on the production line and covered it up but pure speculation on my part, nothing more.

The Russian Soyuz spacecraft responsible for last week's leak aboard the International Space Station (ISS) may have received its wounds here on Earth, on the grounds of its manufacturer, according to a new report from Russian news agency TASS.

(...)

"One of the possibilities is the spacecraft might have been damaged in the final assembly hangar. Or it could happen at the control and testing station, which carried out the final workmanship tests before the spacecraft was sent to Baikonur," an unnamed source in the aerospace industry told TASS, which stressed that it has not confirmed such suspicions.

space.com

Yes, it appears to be a fault caused by an employee of the company that makes the Soyuz, Energia - although they still don't know for sure who.  It seems the Russian manufacturer is having some problems with quality control...  With equipment in space, a lack of attention and sloppy attitudes like that can kill people...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/russian-space-chief-vows-to-find-full-name-of-technician-who-caused-iss-leak/

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Yes, it appears to be a fault caused by an employee of the company that makes the Soyuz, Energia - although they still don't know for sure who.  It seems the Russian manufacturer is having some problems with quality control...  With equipment in space, a lack of attention and sloppy attitudes like that can kill people...

As per the article, there have been similar failures in the past already:

The spacecraft was manufactured by Energia, a Russian corporation. A former employee of the company who is now a professor at Moscow State University told another Russian publication that these kinds of incidents have occurred before at Energia. (...) “I have conducted investigations of all kinds of spacecraft, and after landing, we discovered a hole drilled completely through the hull of a re-entry module," the former Energia employee, Viktor Minenko, said in Gazeta.RU. "But the technician didn't report the defect to anyone but sealed up the hole with epoxy. We found the person, and after a commotion he was terminated,” said Minenko.

It seems the Russian manufacturer is having some problems with quality control.

Of course but in a different way than expected IMHO. Its obvious that the manufacturer has a well designed QMS (Quality Management System) and I`m quite sure that the QM processes are subject to recurring revisions by, e.g., NASA, ESA and JAXA auditors. Means, the QMS and the documentations of the OEM`s QMS are as demanded. But everybody who knows how QM work, know the possible gab between the described QM processes in the QMS documentation/manual and the level of quality performed. Its also likely that the QMS has well formulated fault management procedures but if these are not implemented and communicated as per guidelines, there is a problem and that problem isnt the workers problem but the responsible management`s problem. If the head/s of QM are working with fear ("you will get fired in case of failure caused by you"), then the whole QMS is useless as deviations will not get disclosed, resulting into a decay of the QMS itself.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, toast said:

... if these are not implemented and communicated as per guidelines, there is a problem and that problem isnt the workers problem but the responsible management`s problem. If the head/s of QM are working with fear ("you will get fired in case of failure caused by you"), then the whole QMS is useless as deviations will not get disclosed, resulting into a decay of the QMS itself.

Absolutely.  I've done a lot of project management, and if your priority is to blame, name and shame the person who made the initial error, then you have completely missed the point.  First up, what was the sequence of events that caused the person to do it - was their training insufficient, was there are a problem in how their task was designed or slotted amongst other tasks?  Did they not realise what environmental stresses that item will be subjected to, how important it was?  Were they fearful of repercussions of admitting a mistake?  Why didn't the person who checked their work, not spot it?  Why did the person who signed off on the whole process not spot it?

This sort of thing is a very clear indication of a broken system, and one where people's lives are at stake.  And as this thing bolts onto the ISS, NASA needs to FULLY investigate and follow through on the process of fixing the system.

10 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Absolutely.  I've done a lot of project management,

Welcome to the club, I´m 15 years in the QM business now.

This sort of thing is a very clear indication of a broken system, and one where people's lives are at stake.  And as this thing bolts onto the ISS, NASA needs to FULLY investigate and follow through on the process of fixing the system.

And the other space agencies as well and I`m sure that there is a lot of actions behind the curtains now. Some years ago I had the chance to participate to two ESA hardware reviews of technical/scientific equipment to be lifted to the ISS1 and I can tell you that these processes are fail-safe. One key requirement for these reviews is the participation of 2 astronauts who were on the ISS1 already because they can judge best if the equipment is well marked and packed to avoid loss of time and confusion during the transfer of the stuff from the carrier into the ISS1.

• Like 1