Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 Questions for Atheists / Angry Agnostics

Carlos Allende

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

What was the point of the questions? 

Pretty sure I've answered this before in the course of this forum. But yeah. I'm concerned that there's a blindspot among _some_ atheists between where arguments about the irrationality of religion ends and the common ground of lateral-thinking-as-a-coping-mechanism begins. All Freud and no Jung makes Carlos a dull boy.

10 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

Steve McQueen?

Hmmmm....no.

Never really thought of Steve McQueen as narcissistic.  

1 minute ago, joc said:

Hmmmm....no.

Never really thought of Steve McQueen as narcissistic.  

That's a bit personal, mate. Whatever I've said to upset you so much, I freely apologise. I don't think I'm a narcissist so much as just a dick.

34 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

That's a bit personal, mate. Whatever I've said to upset you so much, I freely apologise. I don't think I'm a narcissist so much as just a dick.

You haven't upset me at all. No need for apology.  I am not an angry atheist nor an angry agnostic.  I'm not angry at all...extremely laid back actually.  I just call it the way I see it.  Neither am I so crass as to refer to you as you did yourself.  Nor will I argue that point...but I don't know you that well....

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

This entire issue ultimately ends with either one believing in the possibility of a "God-head" via extraordinary dimensional considerations, or, one does not believe that at all.

There is no escaping that those are the only choices.

Well, excepting the third choice "I don't care"

Edited by pallidin

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

This entire issue ultimately ends with either one believing in the possibility of a "God-head" via extraordinary dimensional considerations, or, one does not believe that at all.

There is no escaping that those are the only choices.

Well, excepting the third choice "I don't care"

and pallidin, those that subscribe to the third option, aren't to be found, hereabouts, despite some protestations to the contrary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

and pallidin, those that subscribe to the third option, aren't to be found, hereabouts, despite some protestations to the contrary.

I'm an Agnostic Theist, I really don't care

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm an Agnostic Theist, I really don't care

I just have an untidy mind that  doesn't pigeon-hole readily.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I just have an untidy mind that  doesn't pigeon-hole readily.

When people say pigeonholing i think of Dirichlet's box principle.

• Haha 1

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 2:29 AM, Carlos Allende said:

Pretty sure I've answered this before in the course of this forum. But yeah. I'm concerned that there's a blindspot among _some_ atheists between where arguments about the irrationality of religion ends and the common ground of lateral-thinking-as-a-coping-mechanism begins. All Freud and no Jung makes Carlos a dull boy.

Maybe instead of dancing around it you should get to the point?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Maybe instead of dancing around it you should get to the point?

Well, look, there's any number of ways I can phrase it, but I think there's a lot of people who don't want to admit they have _any_ common ground with religious people (which is fine by me, it's their prerogative). All I can say from my point of view is this, you must have heard the proverb, "A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once". It strikes me that, it doesn't matter whether someone staves off inherent fear through religion or the intellectual satisfaction of atheism; the important thing is that _fear,_ our universal enemy, is defeated. And if that's true, what other commonalities might we have? 

6 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

Well, look, there's any number of ways I can phrase it, but I think there's a lot of people who don't want to admit they have _any_ common ground with religious people (which is fine by me, it's their prerogative). All I can say from my point of view is this, you must have heard the proverb, "A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once". It strikes me that, it doesn't matter whether someone staves off inherent fear through religion or the intellectual satisfaction of atheism; the important thing is that _fear,_ our universal enemy, is defeated. And if that's true, what other commonalities might we have? 

Do we all not want to find the truth?

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Who's "truth" exactly? 

The Truth, the one and only truth.

Weather its.

Why are we/you/I really here? Is or isn't there a God?  How can one win the lottery etcetera. Whatever truth you want to know.

Edited by danydandan

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The Truth, the one and only truth.

Weather its.

Why are we/you/I really here? Is or isn't there a God?  How can one win the lottery etcetera. Whatever truth you want to know.

The only truth I know is that we all die. It seem that everything inbetween in just made up solely to make sense out of a senseless existence. Guess work.

Danydandan, Xeno, who really cares about truth? At a risk of being as aggressive as everyone's accused me of being, I'd suggest that objective truth in relation to God or ultimate reality is simply another excuse for talkative atheists to recite their huge list of why religious doctrine is lazy and oppressive. And that's fine, but those discussions are _old._ That's from Atheism Year One. This is, whatever, Atheism Year 40.

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The only truth I know is that we all die. It seem that everything inbetween in just made up solely to make sense out of a senseless existence. Guess work.

Life sucks, I know, shyt happens, I know too. But life is as meaningless or as meaningful as one makes it.

1 minute ago, Carlos Allende said:

Danydandan, Xeno, who really cares about truth? At a risk of being as aggressive as everyone's accused me of being, I'd suggest that objective truth in relation to God or ultimate reality is simply another excuse for talkative atheists to recite their huge list of why religious doctrine is lazy and oppressive. And that's fine, but those discussions are _old._ That's from Atheism Year One. This is, whatever, Atheism Year 40.

Like I said earlier in this discussion, everyone wants their beliefs backed up by facts. Therefore everyone cares about the truth.

Just now, danydandan said:

Life sucks, I know, shyt happens, I know too. But life is as meaningless or as meaningful as one makes it.

There is no inherent meaning in it. Which is why religion exist. People want meaning. They think they know some great spiritual truth, when all they're doing is guessing.

Just now, danydandan said:

Like I said earlier in this discussion, everyone wants their beliefs backed up by facts. Therefore everyone cares about the truth.

Yeah, I see your point, and I'll abide by that.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There is no inherent meaning in it. Which is why religion exist. People want meaning. They think they know some great spiritual truth, when all they're doing is guessing.

Like I said, depends on the individual.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

You know it works both ways right? Theist can and do the exact same thing.

• Like 1

The thing about god is that no one know anything. We have no true idea of what to look for, so people (believers) fill in the blanks. Often invoking quantum woo to do it. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You know it works both ways right? Theist can and do the exact same thing.

...you mean, a theist could accuse atheist doctrine of being lazy and oppressive? Yeah, but not to the same degree, and not so much in recent history. I know there were lots religious leaders who got uppity with the Soviets, but ...you know how much of an apologist I am for the Soviets, right? I can imagine gun club-types in America get heated about atheists, but isn't that an insane, tangled ball of wool from _anyone's_ point of view?

2 minutes ago, Carlos Allende said:

...you mean, a theist could accuse atheist doctrine of being lazy and oppressive? Yeah, but not to the same degree, and not so much in recent history. I know there were lots religious leaders who got uppity with the Soviets, but ...you know how much of an apologist I am for the Soviets, right? I can imagine gun club-types in America get heated about atheists, but isn't that an insane, tangled ball of wool from _anyone's_ point of view?

You really miss the point. Religious groups often revel in ignorance and will suppress science just to maintain their magical thinking. 

I care nothing for the Soviets and don't see why you brought it up. Unless you think all atheist are communist and want to throw people in the gulag. 

• Like 1