Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of 7,200-yr-old cheese making found

Still Waters

Analysis of fatty residue in pottery from the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia revealed evidence of fermented dairy products—soft cheeses and yogurts—from about 7,200 years ago, according to an international team of researchers.

"This pushes back cheese-making by 4,000 years," said Sarah B. McClure, associate professor of anthropology.

The presence of milk in pottery in this area is seen as early as 7,700 years ago, 500 years earlier than fermented products, said the researchers. DNA analysis of the populations in this area indicate that the adults were lactose-intolerant, but the children remained able to consume milk comfortably up to the age of ten.

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-earliest-mediterranean-cheese-production-revealed.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would imagine we could go back even further, perhaps even to the cretaceous period where man milked dinosaurs to make ch....ughghhhaaa that's too crazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Though you gotta admit cheese is a pretty odd food. It's basically spoiled milk that has undergone a special (and fairly complex) treatment while spoiling.

Who on earth came up with that? I mean I guess it might have started with people simply eating the natural curds produced by spoiling milk, but still....