Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Officer kills man after entering wrong flat

Still Waters

A police officer in the US state of Texas has shot and killed a man in a flat after mistakenly thinking she was in her own unit, police say.

The unnamed Dallas officer entered the apartment after her shift on Thursday night and confronted the victim, a 26-year-old male.

Jean was treated on scene and taken to hospital, where he later died.

The officer has been placed on leave while the police and District Attorney's Office investigate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45450558

• Sad 4

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How do you walk into the wrong apartment?  Was she drunk?

She just got off work and was still wearing the uniform.

9 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

She just got off work and was still wearing the uniform.

That never mattered where I grew up. They'd go to the bar in uniform. 

• Like 4

Sgt Mitchell did not comment on whether the officer had mistaken Jean as an intruder when she shot him.

Well if she thought it was her flat then why else would she had shot him if not an intruder?

But...was his door not locked, did she just walk into a flat and not wonder why her flat was not locked? 

Did she not recognise the contents were not hers?

Did she not speak to him first for an explanation?

What kind of police officer was she with such bad judgement?

Are they sure she did not know him and it was deliberate..and she is using the wrong flat thing as an excuse?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I think the city of Dallas may have to raise their taxes after this payout.  What monumental stupidity.  Poor man...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

The Police will investigate themselves and find no wrong doing.

As always.

The Police have this weird mentality of "Shoot on sight, shoot to KILL!!!" if the presence of an armed man is even rumored, and this needs to end.

An army of occupation staffed by Mercenaries deserves nothing that even resembles public support, and deserve what they get whenever their backs are turned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

The Police have this weird mentality of "Shoot on sight, shoot to KILL!!!" if the presence of an armed man is even rumored, and this needs to end.

Homeland Security

When military and law enforcement join hands the enemy becomes internal and they become a closed aristocracy. It's been headed in that direction since 911. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Homeland Security

When military and law enforcement join hands the enemy becomes internal and they become a closed aristocracy. It's been headed in that direction since 911. 

True. 9/11 changed a lot of things all for the worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this Officer was taking any medications, possibly meds she may not have been able to take while on the job until after she was off duty. Seems really strange to walk into the wrong apartment in the first place and not recognize that your own furniture and it's layout and your pictures, etc were all different and not your things or the way you left them before your shift started.

Also are these Officers working 8 or 12 hour shifts? 

Also why would she shot the guy? Unless he was stupid enough to go after or threaten a Cop in Uniform even if that Cop had walked into your house and claimed you were an intruder in her apartment. I'd comply with whatever she said and then be dreaming of all that Cash I'd win in a Lawsuit after other Officers arrived! Some pretty fishy things here with this story and the Man's ultimate Death. 

Edited by lost_shaman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

I think the city of Dallas may have to raise their taxes after this payout.  What monumental stupidity.  Poor man...

Nah, it’ll be a “justified shooting” because she was afraid for her own safety. She’ll be safe under the stand your ground laws too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Homeland Security

I hear what you're saying and agree, but 9/11 legislation was one recent step on a staircase that has its origins with the establishment of the federal reserve bank and was cemented with the formation and eventual blossoming of the military industrial complex. 

Eisenhower issued a clear, dire warning in his exit during the aftermath of WW2. 

By the time Reagan finished his second term, is when I see the process arising in full maturity, seemingly now self sustaining.  9/11 legislation and conditions are the unfortunate fruit ripening on a very sick tree.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Nah, it’ll be a “justified shooting” because she was afraid for her own safety. She’ll be safe under the stand your ground laws too.

Doesn't stand YOUR ground pertain to protecting YOUR property?   She was in HIS apartment?  

Too many unanswered questions on this one so far.......we'll have to stay tuned.

As for her fearing for her own safety....she just might be dumb enough to justify fearing for her own safety.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lightly said:

Doesn't stand YOUR ground pertain to protecting YOUR property?   She was in HIS apartment?  

Too many unanswered questions on this one so far.......we'll have to stay tuned.

As for her fearing for her own safety....she just might be dumb enough to justify fearing for her own safety.

But she didn't know that - she thought she was in her property. 
She's a LEO, she'll be fine. 

• Like 2

i can't help wondering what actions a man, surprised by a uniformed officer in his own home could possibly have done that in her mind justified drawing, aiming and pulling the trigger?

And it leads me to a recurring question that crops up when certain accepted defenses in our legal system arise:  "When we understand why someone did something... does that mean there should be no consequences?"

It also reinforces what I find to be the scariest word/concept in the human process... 'justified'.

The most horrible crimes are perpetrated when one feels justified.

The poor families affected by this loss... wow, just wow.

• Like 5

Percent of excuses we hear

38.2%  " I thought I saw a gun."

36.5%  " I feared for my life."

25.3%  " Insert lame excuse here."

00.0% " I plain screwed up."

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4

I once walked into the wrong house at zero dark 30, there were a row of townhomes that all looked exactly the same. Even in my inebriated state once inside it only took a couple of seconds for me to realize I was in the wrong place. This woman is a professional observer, I was a drunk kid,  im having a hard time buying her story.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, South Alabam said:

The Police will investigate themselves and find no wrong doing.

Police have been investigated before and have been found to do wrong.

We do not know if she actually knew him, we do not know how long she was actually there for before she shot him....these are two things the investigators will be looking at.

Police say they have taken a blood sample to test for drugs and alcohol and are obtaining a warrant for the officer's arrest.

The Dallas Police have also invited the Texas Rangers to conduct an independent investigation.

This is not a case where an officer was on duty doing their job where they are called on to investigate a potencial dangerous person or even to traffic stop someone, this was nothing to do with her job, so she should not be investigated as an officer who was on duty.

It does not appear as if they will be investigating it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yeah... see, we have to understand what was going on in her mind.

If it's possible she may have believed castle doctrine applied, then who is a reasonable person to say otherwise?

Edited by Golden Duck

If it happened somewhere else, I’d be more surprised.

But with what’s happening over there, it’s more like ‘meh, another one’.

It almost feels like it’s justified because of the current culture. :(

If police are so jumpy that they are killing people they’re meant to be protecting, start getting guns out of public hands. FFS.

I agree with the young man's family on this. How did she get in as her key would not fit the door lock? How could she not see she was in the wrong apartment? What was wrong with her that she couldn't find her own? I'm sure there are numbers, even if the doors all looked alike. She was the intruder, not the other way around. There's a lot fishy with this story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

If it's possible she may have believed castle doctrine applied, then who is a reasonable person to say otherwise?

That's a very big leap.  First, she'll have to convince them that she believed it was her home.  Unless she walked in (without having to unlock her door) and then saw movement and fired... it's just too unbelievable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Timothy said:

If it happened somewhere else, I’d be more surprised.

But with what’s happening over there, it’s more like ‘meh, another one’.

It almost feels like it’s justified because of the current culture. :(

If police are so jumpy that they are killing people they’re meant to be protecting, start getting guns out of public hands. FFS.

Or they could do something that wouldn't start Civil War, like start training better police.

• Like 1

Just now, and then said:

Or they could do something that wouldn't start Civil War, like start training better police.

Mate, that’s only one part of the problem.

Who knows, maybe you need civil war to get back in track.