Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Shoe island' baffles police in Massachusetts

UM-Bot

Just paying homage to the God of "Sole" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It may be a ritual thing but I would imagine there would be 'word on the street' as to to what and why. We have a similar thing in our local town - a 'trainer' (sneaker) tree in homage to a local lad who was a big Adidas sneaker fan. When people are throwing their old Adidas out, they go and throw them in the tree. Apparently. there's a fair few dotted around the UK. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that someone originally just tossed an old pair onto the island as they drove past and others just followed suit and it went from there.

• Like 1

I bought some shoes from a drug dealer once. I don't know what he laced them with but I was tripping all day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Stiff said:

It may be a ritual thing but I would imagine there would be 'word on the street' as to to what and why. We have a similar thing in our local town - a 'trainer' (sneaker) tree in homage to a local lad who was a big Adidas sneaker fan. When people are throwing their old Adidas out, they go and throw them in the tree. Apparently. there's a fair few dotted around the UK. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that someone originally just tossed an old pair onto the island as they drove past and others just followed suit and it went from there.

Well, they should put a sock in it.

• Haha 1

Saw the headline and mentally pictured mounds and mounds of shoes. In my College town it's students throwing tied together sneakers over the telephone lines dangling across a street. I suppose there is some sort of college ritual but never bothered to check.

• Like 1

_Yes,_ it Joe Public, but it's not just Chris Finch shinnanegans: those jocks have got wise to the _metaphorical_ value of shoes and roundabouts and they're making ART, do you understand?

• Haha 1

They clearly didn't walk themselves there.   ... Or did they...? 

• Like 2

Look at that island. Is it paved? Is it earthen? It is bleak, barren, without soul. They simply laced it with some sole as a tongue-in-cheek gesture.

Edited by highdesert50
  • Like 1

I would guess a calling card from a deranged individual.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 10:58 AM, UFOwatcher said:

Saw the headline and mentally pictured mounds and mounds of shoes. In my College town it's students throwing tied together sneakers over the telephone lines dangling across a street. I suppose there is some sort of college ritual but never bothered to check.

I don't live in a college town but the kids do the dangling shoes from the power lines.  I asked my neighbor kid, as I looked up at a nice pair of Converse that looked to be my size and he said, it was a gang thing.  I said, it must be nice to be rich enough to throw a good pair of shoes over the powerline. To which he replied, "They are most likely not their shoes."   Sometimes, I feel like I live in a vast sea of stupid.    :hmm:

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 1

Yamala's Only Claim To Fame

Back in the 1950s a railway worker (probably) threw a pair of worn out work boots on a mound of soil at a tiny locality called Yamala in Central Queensland. There were three houses  for railway maintenance workers and a railway siding. For at least 35 years, maybe more the mound accumulated old boots and shoes and sometime, maybe around 1960 some wit painted "Boot Hill" on a rusty sheet of steel, propping it up nearby.  

It was well enough known to make a quarter page entry in a national magazine  in the 1960s. I don't know just when but some philistine took an excavator to it and now there is a hole where the mound used to be.  And a sign "Old Boot Hill".  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/magpie-cottage/26340434466/in/photostream/

• Like 2

When I used to travel in NW Indiana a lot there was a somewhat remote area that was "shoe corner". Don't know why, but there were always a lot of singles and pairs of shoes on the side of the road in that particular corner.

Baffles the police.... I mean, it's kinda obvious how it happens, isn't it? xD Seriously, though. I will never understand how people can so easily discard shoes. 

Although, I guess it's better than what I've been seeing lately: single shoes in the road, along dirt roads, etc. That's kinda creepy.

13 hours ago, Grimscythe said:

Baffles the police.... I mean, it's kinda obvious how it happens, isn't it? xD Seriously, though. I will never understand how people can so easily discard shoes. 

Although, I guess it's better than what I've been seeing lately: single shoes in the road, along dirt roads, etc. That's kinda creepy.

Just been reading Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden) autobiography and he recalls a similar mystery that occurred particularly at Argentinian shows, where loads of shoes would be thrown onto the stage.   But only individual ones, never pairs.   He was many years before he discovered that when people were "crowd surfing" other members of the audience had a habit of removing one of the surfer's shoes ...... and that's where they came from.

• Haha 1