Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka

BrooklynGuy

It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam. Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost. Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

To be fair, Ms Williams didn't exactly help her own cause, proving again, she was never much of a champion, even if and when she was winning everything

~

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, third_eye said:

To be fair, Ms Williams didn't exactly help her own cause, proving again, she was never much of a champion, even if and when she was winning everything

~

I agree, she is a very poor sport, this isn't the first time she has been abusive to the officials. Osaka beat her badly and it was a joy to watch. Too bad she is such a poor sport, she is one of the best women's players of all time. Personally I think Steffi Graf is the all time best.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Osaka beat her badly and it was a joy to watch.

:tu: 

Very much! :lol:

• Like 8

Just now, BrooklynGuy said:

I agree, she is a very poor sport, this isn't the first time she has been abusive to the officials. Osaka beat her badly and it was a joy to watch. Too bad she is such a poor sport, she is one of the best women's players of all time. Personally I think Steffi Graf is the all time best.

Serena doesn't play Tennis, she overwhelms her opponents, the only way the ladies stand a chance against Serena is to be more male manly and play her game, all power and hog grunts. Serena's the Mike Tyson of women's Tennis except Iron Mike has more Boxing skills than Serena has tennis skills, she's accurate and powerful. THat's all there is to her game, I actually rate sister Venus as a better tennis player, come to think of it something must have gone wrong somewhere when Serena talks like a Iron Mike and Mr Tyson speaks like a Serena

~

Personally I like the old school tennis game, the lobs and cross court blind backhands, the topspin dead down the line ... tactics and resolute determination ... Steffi's great, Monica Seles ... ahhh those were the days, remembered the year when Martina Hingis first stunned the world ... Men's and women's game were all enjoyable back then ... not clay court though ... I find it distasteful

:lol:

~

• Like 8

I don't think it was that bad for her.  She did manage to play against her idol and she did win.  Once everything settles down, she will still be a winner.  It is a pity that it all went down this way, but competition isn't always all smiles and hugs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Americans don't like losing at anything on the world stage and they don't care about looking bad by having a loser's tantrum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Americans don't like losing at anything on the world stage and they don't care about looking bad by having a loser's tantrum.

Yes, all of them....all 325 million are poor sports.... *** eyeroll ***

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve always held the opinion that both Williams’ have stunningly poor sportsmanship skills but because they win that’s ignored. Now look, she lost and demonstrated once again that lack of sporting conduct and everyone is calling her on it. 

That said, we’re still talking about her though, aren’t we? Not the masterclass in tennis from Osaka but Williams’ behaviour. The press is full of discussion of whether or not it’s “coaching” if the player doesn’t see the coach telling them what to do, full of “Ohh but others did the same but didn’t cop penalties” .etc etc.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

Personally I like the old school tennis game, the lobs and cross court blind backhands, the topspin dead down the line ... tactics and resolute determination ... Steffi's great, Monica Seles ... ahhh those were the days, remembered the year when Martina Hingis first stunned the world ... Men's and women's game were all enjoyable back then ... not clay court though ... I find it distasteful

:lol:

The best tennis players were the ones who played the lines imo. Accuracy over power. I could watch it back when the greats would work their opponents into exhaustion before overpowering them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Varelse said:

The best tennis players were the ones who played the lines imo. Accuracy over power. I could watch it back when the greats would work their opponents into exhaustion before overpowering them. 

Yeah, those titanic matches of Agassi, Sampras, Lendl ... I don't have much time to watch tennis anymore, even so, there is very little to see nowadays ... what little spare time I have I just watch the EPL and ever then, only a handful of games

~

• Like 4

The commentators and various media apologists were the worst, making excuses for what was a total disgrace. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think it is a stretch to represent Naomi Osaka as being from Japan. I think calling her American is more accurate. She is an American citizen. She has lived in Florida since age three and has a Japanese mother and a Haitian (black) father. She can not even speak Japanese fluently. 

As an American I am claiming her. :D:D...

Hell yeah, me too!

"From Japan".... yeah, right, from before she was going to pre-school. :rolleyes:

But with the Media 100% obsessed with all things racial they are going to spout off like that every chance they get. Those clowns are like Germany in the 1930s in more ways than one. 

Congratulations to Naomi Osaka, you defeated a brute and now you can go on to the big time with your head held high.

And please, never apologize for being the better player.

• Like 8

" a brute"......lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

But with the Media 100% obsessed with all things racial they are going to spout off like that every chance they get. 

Right bro, the popular media gives us the most politically correct (today) racial version on everything. Just give  me the facts on the race and ethnicity on say,  Naomi Osaka or Barack Obama, and I'll do my own thinking, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good news everyone - Serena is in trouble because of defying the Patriarchy therefore is a HERO not a villain, so sayeth some op-ed.

• Haha 5

Serena Williams just couldn't except the fact that she was beat by a less experienced opponent.

Suck it up Serena, life never goes the way you want it.

• Like 9

Serena embarrassed herself.   What a jerk she is.  

Her coach admitted to coaching her which is against the rules.   She was caught.   However, it had no affect on the match.

Knowing she already had 1 infraction, she destroyed her racquet, which is against the rules.   Still had no affect on the match.

She then verbally abused the ump by calling him a sexist and a thief, which is against the rules.   

She believes the rules do not apply to her.  

• Like 5

It is also a bit misleading to say that Naomi Osaka is from Japan.   Technically true, but she has lived in the United States since she was 3 years old.   She doesn't speak Japanese.  Her father is Haitian. 

• Like 3

Amazing that people in the media want to support this woman, as if she would have won the match except for the naughty chair umpire just following the rules !

• Like 8

Did you heard the about the cartoon that sparked outrage of her meltdown. Now her fans are calling it racist.

Funny when John McEnroe had tantrums and cartoonist drew pics of him their were no complaints.

serena.jpg

mcenroe2.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Did you heard the about the cartoon that sparked outrage of her meltdown. Now her fans are calling it racist.

Funny when John McEnroe had tantrums and cartoonist drew pics of him their were no complaints.

serena.jpg

mcenroe2.jpg

How is that racist, I don't want to bring it up but trump was deceipted in more bad cartoons than this. How does this become a race issue?? 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Myles said:

It is also a bit misleading to say that Naomi Osaka is from Japan.   Technically true, but she has lived in the United States since she was 3 years old.   She doesn't speak Japanese.  Her father is Haitian. 

Mostly it’s OP-Ed pieces supporting her, in ignorance of the fact that in the same tournament 21 fouls were called against women and 84 against men (so, obviously they’re sexist) and every single umpire in the game has said they’d have faulted her for exactly the same things the On court umpire did (so the entire organisation is racist and sexist) and Williams has a long history of doing EXACTLY the same things whenever she’s losing (history therefore is sexist and racist and biased against Serena). 

Even on sports journalism programmes discussing her tantrum, they go out of their way to stress how she’s “probably the greatest female athlete ever” before going “but this was a tantrum and part of a long history of being a poor loser” and that is possibly understandable that she felt a little hard done by when in the same tournament Nick Kurios was having one of his patented bouts of whinging sulkiness and thr chair umpire gave him a pep talk rather than a boot up the bum. 

Incidentslly, the same artist now getting death threats over the Serena cartoon lampooned Kurios and depicted him as a petulant child.

• Like 5