Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka

BrooklynGuy

On 9/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, papageorge1 said:

I see  this subtle technique used in other arenas of society. Even President Obama (half black/half white) was often presented as the first 'black' President.

I love it when people talk about Obama and Booker ( who is tri-racial) being Black and say I'm "only a half breed" in the same breath. 

• Like 1

It was a sad scene....Serena should have acted more maturely and kept her mouth shut....and played tennis.

although ,in her defense,,,I guess a lot of coaching signals do go unpenalized ?  Mostly I felt bad for miss Osaka.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2018 at 7:56 PM, third_eye said:

Yeah, those titanic matches of Agassi, Sampras, Lendl ... I don't have much time to watch tennis anymore, even so, there is very little to see nowadays ... what little spare time I have I just watch the EPL and ever then, only a handful of games

~

You can always watch cats chasing mice videos, it's almost the same and only last a few minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it was a major US newspaper writer that opined that Serena had been breaking "barriers" all her playing days, and seemed to imply that making her play by the rules, was an attack on her, for being a bold pathfinder. I am finding the whole business very puzzling, she seems to have a lot of people bluffed.

• Like 4

On 9/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, Habitat said:

" a brute"......lol

I'd strategize before taking her on.  She doesn't look like a pushover  :w00t:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think it was a major US newspaper writer that opined that Serena had been breaking "barriers" all her playing days, and seemed to imply that making her play by the rules, was an attack on her, for being a bold pathfinder. I am finding the whole business very puzzling, she seems to have a lot of people bluffed.

Simple really - like all top tier sportspeople she is immune to criticism while they’re unassailably winning, no matter what they do (temper tantrums, bullying officials, dog fights, rapes etc) they’re immune as long as they Win. Winning is all that matters. Mark my words, if she had won the headline would have been “despite emotions running High, Serena dominated”. Now she is at the end of her career, her poor behaviour isn’t tolerated as much. A few years ago, the ATO would have sacked the umpire and grovelled an apology to Serena. Now theyre trying to calm Serena (still a massive money earner for them) but at the same time apply the rules to her.

youll note they’ve said the umpire did nothing wrong and is blanesless of any personal racism or sexism. It’s probably why the narrative has already shifted to the cartoon.

basically, she broke the rules. She cried about breaking the rules using the ever reliable defences of “racism” and “sexism” and bringing up her daughter. We’re tsking about racism and sexism and not her stunningly poor sportsmanship or the fact the umpire federation is seriously considering not umpiring any Serena matches anymore because of the media circus she generates when she throws a tantrum when she loses (which will happen more and more as her star fades).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

I dont see the cartoon racist

I don't either. Over the years cartoonist have poked fun at athletes and politicians with their artwork regardless of who they are.

But in the era of Political Correctness, it's a Double Standard on who is poked fun at.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hawken said:

Did you heard the about the cartoon that sparked outrage of her meltdown. Now her fans are calling it racist.

Funny when John McEnroe had tantrums and cartoonist drew pics of him their were no complaints.

*snip*

Yeah, it’s been all over the news here in Aus.

Because of all the outrage over it (mostly from the fans), he’s apparently had to put security out the front of his house. Death threats and all.

His name is Mark Knight, and he’s known well over here for his editorial cartoons. Pretty much always exaggerated caricatures, not racist. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knight

And the newspaper his cartoon was published in doubled down to support him:

9F492FDC-73F9-4F02-90FA-5D7CAF58519B.jpeg

Edit: @kartikg, people think the big lips etc. are racist. But yes, it’s just a caricature. And yes, it’s an ‘accurate’ caricature of Serena.

She is a big woman. She does look hulkish. She was angry and she did pretty much throw a tantrum. I wouldn’t want to annoy her...

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, and then said:

I'd strategize before taking her on.  She doesn't look like a pushover  :w00t:

Come to think of it... if it were her sister Venus, I'd just grab a gun and be done with it.  I'd hate being beaten down by a "girl"  :D

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

Because of all the outrage over it (mostly from the fans), he’s apparently had to put security out the front of his house. Death threats and all.

His name is Mark Knight, and he’s known well over here for his editorial cartoons. Pretty much always exaggerated caricatures, not racist. 

And the newspaper his cartoon was published in doubled down to support him

Edit: @kartikg, people think the big lips etc. are racist. But yes, it’s just a caricature. And yes, it’s an ‘accurate’ caricature of Serena.

She is a big woman. She does look hulkish. She was angry and she did pretty much throw a tantrum. I wouldn’t want to annoy her...

People of South African origins do have big lips and broad noses. Nothing racist about it, it's just their genetic makeup.

Her fans that call the cartoon racist because of her features seem to have some hidden shame of it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hawken said:

People of South African origins do have big lips and broad noses. Nothing racist about it, it's just their genetic makeup.

Her fans that call the cartoon racist because of her features seem to have some hidden shame of it.

Yeah I know that, and the connotations.

I’m just saying, if it were a black person with ‘regular sized’ lips, he wouldn’t exaggerate them.

She does have very large lips...

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Timothy said:

And the newspaper his cartoon was published in doubled down to support him:

9F492FDC-73F9-4F02-90FA-5D7CAF58519B.jpeg

I feel like the race card is being played to divert the attention from her wrongdoing and defeat. 

• Like 8

Well when you losing to a 20 year old, frustration comes to you. The fact that many non whites dont like her speaks volumes

• Like 3

On 10/09/2018 at 3:49 AM, ouija ouija said:

Americans don't like losing at anything on the world stage and they don't care about looking bad by having a loser's tantrum.

Agreed. They could only find a sense of decorum if you paid them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Well when you losing to a 20 year old, frustration comes to you. The fact that many non whites dont like her speaks volumes

It's her attitude stop fueling her false outrage.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

It's her attitude stop fueling her false outrage.

A very bad attitude which includes false accusations of racism and sexism.

• Like 3

Tennis umpires reportedly considering boycott of Serena Williams matches

Stung by what they perceive as a lack of institutional support for the chair umpire who gave Serena Williams a game penalty late in the U.S. Open women's final, which set off a firestorm of criticism, other umpires are reportedly discussing the possibility of boycotting her matches. Top umpires are also considering the formation of a union, according to a report Tuesday, in part because they are not allowed to discuss specific matches.

Read more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/ct-spt-serena-williams-tennis-umpires-boycott-20180912-story.html

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Tennis umpires reportedly considering boycott of Serena Williams matches

Stung by what they perceive as a lack of institutional support for the chair umpire who gave Serena Williams a game penalty late in the U.S. Open women's final, which set off a firestorm of criticism, other umpires are reportedly discussing the possibility of boycotting her matches. Top umpires are also considering the formation of a union, according to a report Tuesday, in part because they are not allowed to discuss specific matches.

Read more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/ct-spt-serena-williams-tennis-umpires-boycott-20180912-story.html

So Serena Williams won $1.85 million for runner up and Carlos Ramos got a measly $450. Now that's something to cry about Serena...:whistle:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, kartikg said:

How is that racist, I don't want to bring it up but trump was deceipted in more bad cartoons than this. How does this become a race issue?? 

I find myself asking this at least once a week. Over any number of news stories.

I guess they weren’t kidding in the WikiLeaks when they said they wanted to work harder on dividing us by culture. 

• Like 4

Unbelievable the people sticking up for Williams after her very poor behavior, making all kinds of excuse for her including the Women's Tennis Association calling the referee's actions sexist and racist. The media that makes up the news and no longer reports it doing the old bait and switch like they do when other minorities behave badly.   

Why Naomi Osaka is likely to become a branding sensation

Tennis phenom Naomi Osaka is about to show Madison Avenue what she can do off the court. After notching her first Grand Slam, soundly beating Serena Williams at the US Open, the shy 20-year-old is poised to become a branding sensation, marketing experts say. Her four-year deal with Adidas — reportedly worth in the low six figures — is about to expire this year, while a car endorsement is said to be in the works and will likely be announced this week. “Her brand value for Adidas is in the millions now,” sports marketing consultant Joe Favorito said.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2018/09/10/why-naomi-osaka-is-likely-to-become-a-branding-sensation/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elena and gymnastics learned a very harsh lesson the hard way ... let's hope sports remembers the lesson

~

~

• Thanks 1

Ellen Show host Ellen Degeneres asked Osaka what Williams said to her at that moment, and Osaka said Williams was reassuring her.

"She said that she was proud of me and that I should know that the crowd wasn't booing at me, so I was really happy she said that," Osaka said.

1536802463565.jpg

Link

You guys are a little rough of William's.  I loved it when John Mcenroe threw fits.  It was the main reason I watched.

• Like 1