Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people talk politics online?

Still Waters

Wading into a political debate online can be a minefield. Search any comment section or thread on a social media site, and you’re likely to come across some pretty strong views. But that’s not necessarily just the nature of the debate. It could also reflect the kind of personalities that are drawn to online discussions of this kind.

In our research, we’ve found that people who don’t care about what others think are more likely to engage in politics on social media. This might have an effect on what they say online and contribute to the vitriolic tone that puts so many off engaging in public online conversations. It might also be decisive in selecting the political content that people come across in their feeds.

https://theconversation.com/why-do-people-talk-politics-online-because-they-dont-care-what-you-think-101700

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Every UM political thread ever:

old_lady_purse_fight.gif

That's some durable quality handbags!

Oh them feisty little old ladies are just having themselves some fun ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Oh them feisty little old ladies are just having themselves some fun ...

~

Who's your money on?

Red or Blue

• Haha 3

Just now, XenoFish said:

Who's your money on?

Red or Blue

I'm torn ... I just wanna keep those handbags flying ...

:lol:

~

• Haha 2

I do it to have an opponent to vent against. I enjoy the intellectual stimulation.

Well, I don't think I ever do. :unsure2: 

Actually the reason is probably that it's probably the most interesting subject, and, with the current leaders of the Free World, never short on entertainment. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 10:48 AM, The Caspian Hare said:

Every UM political thread ever:

old_lady_purse_fight.gif

Facebook is even worse, if you can imagine that.

I believe most people that talk about politics online do it for two reasons:

1.They want to speak their mind and not be interrupted in the middle of their talk.

2.They can retain anonymity if they want, so there won't be the same repercussions as if they were talking face to face to someone.

Of course, most "discussions" end up as two-or more-sides throwing accusations at each other's view and hardly make use of arguments backed by veritable proof.Maturity will most of the times also be reduced to cuss words and insults and the original discussion will be forgotten as the people will be busy fighting each other.

From the OP:

Easy, it's Trump's fault... :ph34r:

The whole ideal about politics is how effectively you can blame other's for past, present and future "mistakes" whilst at the same time receiving credit for "achievements" even if your contribution was "minimal"

It's a "word/power/money game"

Fortunately, not a legislators fall under that description but, sadly, many do.

Edited by pallidin

It's truly no wonder that the U.S. Congress voted down both line-item-veto and lobbyist reform.

The preservation of those 2 can seriously enrich a savy Congressmember or Senator.

Edited by pallidin