Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Atlantis... in the Sahara?

Unusual Tournament

I keep coming back to this one because of the Herodotus map and Atlas being the king of Mauritania. Could it have been a city state with a vast military that sank into the ocean? Doubt it, but it could have been what it is―a geological structure. People could have came up with some wild stories to fill in the gaps.

2 hours ago, Skulduggery said:

I keep coming back to this one because of the Herodotus map and Atlas being the king of Mauritania. Could it have been a city state with a vast military that sank into the ocean? Doubt it, but it could have been what it is―a geological structure. People could have came up with some wild stories to fill in the gaps.

Okay. But none of that can be inferred from Herodotus' map, which was certainly not drawn nor designed by Herodotus anyway.

Harte

Edited by Harte
by cracky!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Okay. But none of that can be inferred from Herodotus' map, which was certainly not drawn nor designed by Herodotus anyway.

Harte

Boring History, again!

He's not the only one compelled to coming back.....Atlantis, besides being contagious, it's habit forming. Once you get infected, you carry it to the grave. And even from the grave one is liable to come back.

6 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

Oh, good to know.

The map does reflect Herodotus' disbelief in an encircling oceanic stream. I don't know enough about the subject to say whether he was the first Greek to take that position.

Harte

2 hours ago, Harte said:

The map does reflect Herodotus' disbelief in an encircling oceanic stream. I don't know enough about the subject to say whether he was the first Greek to take that position.

Harte

Hey Harteman I didn't know the answer either so I asked it on Quora:

The first answer received:

" Since what we know about the Classical Greeks is limited to surviving literature, I would say the best estimate would be “no.” It is now archaeologically established for instance that Pythagoras Theorem for example was not discovered by (or only by) Pythagoras. The Babylonians for instance were aware of it well before Pythagoras was born: Babylonian mathematics - Wikipedia. So, if you extend that analogy, then while we positively know what Herodotus says, we do not positively know that no one else said as much."

Our forum mate Atalanate might know too since he reads the old stuff.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:02 PM, jmccr8 said:

The Sargent was the last to jump the first to hit the ground

The Sargent was the last to jump  the first to hit the ground

The Sargent was the last the first to hit the ground

And he ain't going to jump no more 

Glory, glory hallelujah

Glory, glory hallelujah

Glory, glory hallelujah 

And he ain't going to jump no more

He landed on the runway like a little blob of chit

He landed on the runway like a little blob of chit

He landed on the runway like a little blob of chit

and he ain't going to jump no more

"chorus"

jmccr8

Ol’ Pappylemurph used to sing this very song to me as a wee lad. 

10 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

As I’ve mentioned before, no real ancient maps exist. They’re all modern “reconstructions”, reflecting whatever thesis the originator is propounding. 

And anybody who tells you differently had chit of their own to sell you. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Our forum mate Atalanate might know too since he reads the old stuff.

I’d, uhh, take anything he says with a reservation or two. Or possibly more. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

Quora is a bad source to go to as evidenced by the quote you provided.

It is not claimed that Pythagorus invented the Pythagorean Theorem. The claim is that he was the first to provide a logical and rigorous proof for it.

Of course, that might be because the Greeks invented rigorous, logical mathematical proofs.

Harte

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Harte said:

Of course, that might be because the Greeks invented rigorous, logical mathematical proofs.

I’d say “and some other fun things, too,” but I wouldn’t want to summon the rancor of the... Bridge and Tunnel Brigade, let’s call them. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I’d say “and some other fun things, too,” but I wouldn’t want to summon the rancor of the... Bridge and Tunnel Brigade, let’s call them. 

—Jaylemurph 

B & T bde? is that jargon for those who think people 'encoded' stuff into buildings?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Ol’ Pappylemurph used to sing this very song to me as a wee lad.

Hi Jaylemurph

That is the mildest marching song we had and one of the reasons why I only sing them while walking down an alley late at night while being intoxicated.:lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, Piney said:

Amleth was a actual Danish prince in the North. His real story is a bit more deranged. :yes:

I thought his real name was Piglet, and he was a character from Winnie the Pooh who got involved in a time travel arc?

• Haha 1