Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Musk: 'We are probably living in a simulation'

UM-Bot

26 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You are guessing, you don't know what was set, or what set it, so why kid yourself. You assume too much, you even invoke a "they" creating a simulated universe, with pride of achieving a "pinnacle" of inserting consciousness. lol ! You are just anthropomorphizing here, if it makes you feel good, good for you, it isn't much different to an anthropomorphized "God" though.

Oh won't you look silly when god uses a foot to kick your butt :rofl:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

A real God could be in their universe. But not in ours! No way!

More speculation, a universe out of reach of God ?

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh won't you look silly when god uses a foot to kick your butt :rofl:

I am silly before any such happening, but again, all just speculation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

What I find interesting is, if they went to so much trouble to invent AI on our level, and a reality down to the particle scale, what do they want with us?

They obviously went far to make us and this! Why?

Could we become intelligent servants, after we've lived here, and shown who we are?
Some soldiers, some butlers, some romantic synthetics, some just plain friends?

In our own world there is a desire for all those!

Maybe they harvest us for information? That's what the afterlife is, being assimilated.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, OverSword said:

I don't think it's being run, it's running.  And the answer weather or not it's computer generated is the Creator. :tu:

Yep... if it IS a simulation then obviously it would need an original programmer. What people "call" that programmer is up to them.

As I said before, imagine if we could figure out how to write code to change things, perhaps the cheat to go into god mode or max out your stats like in a video game. Seems like a good reason to investigate further to me

• Like 2

On 11/09/2018 at 8:48 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Ford, Chevrolet and GMC. I still don't understand what Elon did or said in this podcast that is out of character for him

they're still big? Anyway, Chevrolet is part of GMC.

Some people consider the simulation hypothesis a flash in the pan. Something that will go away and be forgotten soon. They might be right. Time will tell.

But those people fail to recognize the profound metaphysical significance it holds. Before this idea emerged, we had only two options when it came to the origin of reality: An eternal omnipotent God, or quantum fluctuation followed by randomness. Now we have three!

Some might argue that the consequence of us being simulated, demands answers about the world where the computer that holds us is located, but that has never been the goal of science. Science is only about understanding the nature of the universe we live in. That's it!

The simulation hypothesis is not just a wild idea. It is a genuine alternative to the answers we already know so well. It's a valid third wheel for the future, when our children and grandchildren once again ask mans oldest question of existentialism: Why do we exist?

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Some people consider the simulation hypothesis a flash in the pan. Something that will go away and be forgotten soon. They might be right. Time will tell.

But those people fail to recognize the profound metaphysical significance it holds. Before this idea emerged, we had only two options when it came to the origin of reality: An eternal omnipotent God, or quantum fluctuation followed by randomness. Now we have three!

Some might argue that the consequence of us being simulated, demands answers about the world where the computer that holds us is located, but that has never been the goal of science. Science is only about understanding the nature of the universe we live in. That's it!

The simulation hypothesis is not just a wild idea. It is a genuine alternative to the answers we already know so well. It's a valid third wheel for the future, when our children and grandchildren once again ask mans oldest question of existentialism: Why do we exist?

This hypothesis only exists, because computers and computer simulations exist. But it is something of a speculative extrapolation, to draw a parallel between the universe as we know it, and our computer simulations. But regardless, it offers nothing except an interposed "cause" for existence, that does not clarify anything. What brought about the simulator ? It is native to the way our minds work, to chase down causes, but clearly it is not all-encompassing. Just like the simulation hypothesis.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

This hypothesis only exists, because computers and computer simulations exist. But it is something of a speculative extrapolation, to draw a parallel between the universe as we know it, and our computer simulations. But regardless, it offers nothing except an interposed "cause" for existence, that does not clarify anything. What brought about the simulator ? It is native to the way our minds work, to chase down causes, but clearly it is not all-encompassing. Just like the simulation hypothesis.

It is an explanation equal to the others. It is also the only explanation that gives a logic explanation to non-locality.

14 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

. It is also the only explanation that gives a logic explanation to non-locality.

How so ?

17 hours ago, Habitat said:

How so ?

Because if everything in the universe is controlled from the same place (the processor), distance and speed doesn't matter.

Here's the definition of nonlocality, in case you're wondering what it is: https://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_quantum_nonlocality.html

Edited by sci-nerd

10 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Because if everything in the universe is controlled from the same place (the processor), distance and speed doesn't matter.

Here's the difinition of nonlocality, in case you're wondering what it is: https://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_quantum_nonlocality.html

Why would a simulation need to be refined down to these fine details that don't seem to matter to the macro scale of intelligent life? 

It seems to me it would be more efficient to create a more simple deterministic system on the smallest scales. Why create quantum strangeness? 

12 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Why would a simulation need to be refined down to these fine details that don't seem to matter to the macro scale of intelligent life? 

It seems to me it would be more efficient to create a more simple deterministic system on the smallest scales. Why create quantum strangeness? 

To be honest, I think it's an 'oops'. An error of negligence. They didn't think about it.
That, or it's just for fun. Doesn't matter to them what we think.

8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To be honest, I think it's an 'oops'. An error of negligence. They didn't think about it.
That, or it's just for fun. Doesn't matter to them what we think.

I wouldn't think the simulators would make an 'oops'. Though perhaps they do have a sense of humor. Some sense of humor to put us in this predicament! :) 

Just now, StarMountainKid said:

I wouldn't think the simulators would make an 'oops'.

Shows that they're fallible and not divine.

21 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Shows that they're fallible and not divine.

All this is nice, but I still fail to understand why they would create a universe with us in it. Or the potential for us to evolve. I mean, it's a pretty nasty place for most of us to exist in. Or a difficult place, at best.

In my fiction, my fictional universe was created by the evil Vulgarians out of spite. They live in a crappy universe, so they simulated ours as crappy as they 'res is. This scenario at least makes sense out of our universe.  

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

I still fail to understand why they would create a universe

I mean, it's a pretty nasty place for most of us to exist in.

I have no clue what motive they had to make this sh!t-place. Perhaps they just made it like their own sh!tty world?

But I do have an intuitive alternative explanation. Pure speculation of course. I sense that this might be an AI factory, and that all the bad stuff that happens to us, helps them to see what kinda types we truly are. So when our "lives" end here, they can put us to practical use in their own world. Atleast in that explanation, there is a point to it all.

Edited by sci-nerd

Regarding nonlocality, I'd like to add this Arthur Conan Doyle quote:

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

I've read that scientists have made calculations showing that it is impossible to simulate our universe. However, they then assumed that the real universe has the same physical laws as our universe and that may not be the case.

If you get a stingray barb into your ankle, as I once witnessed a relative do, you will see the world is plenty real !

if this is a simulation, why haven't we figured out we aren't the first, and why we aren't
 the only one's visiting our planet, i don't have billions of dollar to experience VR.
 and because you do,is that from to much acid/lsd?

No simulation, no-one silly enough to pay the electricity bill to keep it running !

10 hours ago, Habitat said:

No simulation, no-one silly enough to pay the electricity bill to keep it running !

Yet in our world idiot-TV, like 'The Kardashians' is thriving. Besides, power has never been cheaper.
The natural development in electronics show that everything gets better and less expensive with time. Like computers.
We should also assume that 'they' live in a Type 1 civilization as a minimum. That means controlling all energy on an entire planet.

• Like 1