Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Musk: 'We are probably living in a simulation'

UM-Bot

Maybe ours us an emulation, not the original simulation. This is why our reality is so screwed up. 

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

Maybe ours us an emulation, not the original simulation. This is why our reality is so screwed up. 

Oh you refer to the simulatation within a simulation madness?

Well, scientists have determined that we cannot simulate a quantum based universe. That means, if there is a reality above ours, where we are inside their computer, they do not have quantum mechanics!
And since QM is (by some considered)  the main "tell" about us being simulated, it could prove that a simulation within a simulation is impossible. 

Edited by sci-nerd

Perhaps a naturally occurring universe blocks any possible simulation of itself.

16 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Perhaps a naturally occurring universe blocks any possible simulation of itself.

There has been made several simulations of our own universe. There is/was just no life in them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

There has been made several simulations of our own universe. There is/was just no life in them.

These simulations are dedicated to physics and astronomy, they're not trying to create a complete simulated universe with the potential of life.

I was just thinking that, as Prof. Hawking has said, the universe seems to be arranged to prohibit time travel into the past. Perhaps it is also arranged to prohibit a complete simulation of itself. That Zohar Ringel and Dimitry Kovrizhin link seems to state this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Perhaps it is also arranged to prohibit a complete simulation of itself. That Zohar Ringel and Dimitry Kovrizhin link seems to state this.

They haven't tried their experiment on a real quantum computer yet, so we can't be sure. But it seems to suggest that you can't simulate a quantum based universe within a quantum based universe. That limits our own possibilities, but it does not necessarily limit the possibilities in a universe above ours.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

They haven't tried their experiment on a real quantum computer yet, so we can't be sure. But it seems to suggest that you can't simulate a quantum based universe within a quantum based universe. That limits our own possibilities, but it does not necessarily limit the possibilities in a universe above ours.

So, a universe above ours is not quantum-based. This opens up more speculations. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

So, a universe above ours is not quantum-based.

If there is one, the research seems to suggest that, yes.

Personally I've always suspected that QM is a simulation (computer) phenomenon, so it's actually kind of a pleasant surprize to get it "confirmed".

20 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Oh you refer to the simulatation within a simulation madness?

Well, scientists have determined that we cannot simulate a quantum based universe. That means, if there is a reality above ours, where we are inside their computer, they do not have quantum mechanics!
And since QM is (by some considered)  the main "tell" about us being simulated, it could prove that a simulation within a simulation is impossible. 

I disagree, that is saying we can't simulate in real time because of increased complexity. If we are in a simulation there is no reason why our perception of time isn't also simulated, in which case you'd never know if the simulation was ever paused.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I disagree, that is saying we can't simulate in real time because of increased complexity. If we are in a simulation there is no reason why our perception of time isn't also simulated.

So, basicly you're saying that we perceive time faster than it actually is computed? Isn't that to underestimate "their" computational power?

Just now, sci-nerd said:

So, basicly you're saying that we perceive time faster than it actually is computed? Isn't that to underestimate "their" computational power?

If we live in a simulation, we would perceive time as it is relayed to us. If the simulation was say paused and resumed at a later date, we'd never know because our perception is completely dependent on the running simulation. We'd have to consciously exist outside of the simulation in order to perceive any pause or interruption.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

If we live in a simulation, we would perceive time as it is relayed to us. If the simulation was say paused and resumed at a later date, we'd never know because our perception is completely dependent on the running simulation. We'd have to consciously exist outside of the simulation in order to perceive any pause or interruption.

Concur!

And perhaps the simulation we're in finished long ago, and they're now watching how it went...

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Concur!

And perhaps the simulation we're in finnished long ago, and they're now watching how it went...

Not quite what I meant. That's more like a scripted event, something that is preprogrammed to happen.

What I'm saying is imagine someone shuts down the simulation but backs up the data, 50 years later someone starts up a simulation using that same data. The data has no information about the 50 years, it's like the simulation never stopped.

The simulation continues where it left off.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

Not quite what I meant. That's more like a scripted event, something that is preprogrammed to happen.

What I'm saying is imagine someone shuts down the simulation but backs up the data, 50 years later someone starts up a simulation using that same data. The data has no information about the 50 years, it's like the simulation never stopped.

I know what you meant, and I agree. I just put another option on the table regarding their time compared to ours.
In principle - given they have unlimited computing power - they could complete our simulation in a few minutes, and wait till after to analyse it. We could be living our lives for the second time, and be none the wiser.

• Like 1

Just now, sci-nerd said:

I know what you meant, and I agree. I just put another option on the table regarding their time compared to ours.
In principle - given they have unlimited computing power - they could complete our simulation in a few minutes, and wait till after to analyse it. We could be living our lives for the second time, and be none the wiser.

Well yeah, they could revert to a prior back up and we'd never know.

I'm more thinking if they had limited computing power, the simulation wouldn't need to run in real time but we'd never perceive it because our perception is tied into the simulation.

They could even shut down the simulation and we wouldn't literally experience anything, complete oblivion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Well yeah, they could revert to a prior back up and we'd never know.

I'm more thinking if they had limited computing power, the simulation wouldn't need to run in real time but we'd never perceive it because our perception is tied into the simulation.

They could even shut down the simulation and we wouldn't literally experience anything, complete oblivion.

That's what I like most about this hypothesis. The possibilities are in abundance, and it can explain any mystery we can think of.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

That's what I like most about this hypothesis. The possibilities are in abundance, and it can explain any mystery we can think of.

How is it an hypothesis?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

How is it an hypothesis?

Care to elaborate that question?

Edited by sci-nerd

13 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Care to elaborate that question?

Is this question of study testable and unfalsifiable?

Edited by danydandan

23 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Is question of study testable and unfalsifiable?

We can't currently prove it or disprove it. It's like the God-myth, but without an invisible superman. It's just "people" and technology.

But some scientists are actually looking for phenomenons in the universe that show computational shortcuts. If they find any, it could be evidence that we are simulated.

IMHO particle-wave duality is such a shotcut.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

Why would someone make a universe for the hobby of making a whole lot of simulated blackholes? If there is a God? It sure loves blackholes. Pimped universe?

One thing about pot, it makes people come under the illusion that it makes them smart. 

8 minutes ago, Hello Davros Kitty said:

Why would someone make a universe for the hobby of making a whole lot of simulated blackholes? If there is a God? It sure loves blackholes. Pimped universe?

One thing about pot, it makes people come under the illusion that it makes them smart. 

Humans do that very thing , its kind of a huge market, why wouldnt an advanced species do the same just on a different scale?

image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6M

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Humans do that very thing , its kind of a huge market, why wouldnt an advanced species do the same just on a different scale?

An intelligence advanced enough to do it would be like you, or me excited to play pong.

MammothUnfoldedKillerwhale-small.gif

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

How is it an hypothesis?

A thought experiment?

I don't believe the universe is a simulation. But if it's possible to simulate consciousness, it would be possible to pause this consciousness and resume at a later date, the consciousness should not experience any interruption. Similar to physics simulations.

• Like 1