Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Musk: 'We are probably living in a simulation'

UM-Bot

15 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

We can't currently prove it or disprove it. It's like the God-myth, but without an invisible superman. It's just "people" and technology.

But some scientists are actually looking for phenomenons in the universe that show computational shortcuts. If they find any, it could be evidence that we are simulated.

IMHO particle-wave duality is such a shotcut.

Thus it's not a Scientific definition of an hypothesis, because well it's untestable and unfalsifiable.

29 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

A thought experiment?

I don't believe the universe is a simulation. But if it's possible to simulate consciousness, it would be possible to pause this consciousness and resume at a later date, the consciousness should not experience any interruption. Similar to physics simulations.

It's a question of study or an inquiry. By definition a Scientific hypothesis must be testable and unfalsifiable.

20 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It's a question of study or an inquiry. By definition a Scientific hypothesis must be testable and unfalsifiable.

Which I'm not calling it one.

10 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Which I'm not calling it one.

The question mark at the of the first sentence seemed you weren't sure. I don't know if it can even be called a thought experiment. I suppose it can kinda, but I was always told thought experiments are derived from hypothesis or basic principles. This simulation idea isn't neither.

But argruing what happens to time in one is kinda moot, but I agree if 'they' pressed pause we wouldn't have a clue.

Keeping kinda on topic, have you heard of the  The Experience Machine from Robert Nozick? Would you willingly plug yourself into the simulation?

It is clear that our world is not simulation, we simply can not access the entire volume of information about us and the world around us, so it seems to us that our world is someone's unreasonable experience over us but the Absolute can not have a shallow idea because too much power and energy is invested in the creation of the universe, the formation of life and civilizations on earth. Just an ordinary person who is not attached to religion can come disappointed that he lives only once and what will be in heaven he does not know and if there is any life after death but a religious person does not have such doubts as what life is and what is the goal of humanity.

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

Thus it's not a Scientific definition of an hypothesis, because well it's untestable and unfalsifiable.

If nobody was looking for evidence, you would be right.

...if the simulated universe has similar physical limitations to our perceived real universe — in which something infinitely complicated cannot be modeled without infinite resources — signs of shortcuts and approximations may lurk in our own world, the way an image breaks up into its constituent pixels when you get close enough to a screen.

- Zohreh Davoudi

She's looking! So to reject it as a hypothesis is to early.

8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

If nobody was looking for evidence, you would be right.

She's looking! So to reject it as a hypothesis is to early.

Looking for evidence to support an unfalsifiable and untestable notion, because lets face all it is...is a notion, is irrelevant. The question of study of a simulated Universe isn't an hypothesis. Primarily because its unfalsifiable and untestable. You'd think people would be more interested in the three big experiments happening in Germany regarding our standard model.

14 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Have it your way, dany. I like the word "model" better anyway... :P

Read up on KARTIN. You'll be impressed, amazing Science work going on now. CERN are looking to build a massive nuetrino detector. KARTIN is hoping to measure its mass. Excited about it all, so I am.

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

The question mark at the of the first sentence seemed you weren't sure. I don't know if it can even be called a thought experiment. I suppose it can kinda, but I was always told thought experiments are derived from hypothesis or basic principles. This simulation idea isn't neither.

I wasn't sure if it could be called a thought experiment.

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

Keeping kinda on topic, have you heard of the  The Experience Machine from Robert Nozick? Would you willingly plug yourself into the simulation?

After having a quick look it sounds not all that different to recreational drugs. I'd plug myself in if I can be unplugged at anytime.

I don't know what possessed me to click this but I actually thought it was fun to listen to and relevant to this thread

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

I wasn't sure if it could be called a thought experiment.

After having a quick look it sounds not all that different to recreational drugs. I'd plug myself in if I can be unplugged at anytime.

That's the crux, IF you can be unplugged. If it wasn't certain would you still plug in?

16 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's the crux, IF you can be unplugged. If it wasn't certain would you still plug in?

Unlike the God-myth, the simulation model/idea does not threaten you with an eternity in Hell, if you decide to reject it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Unlike the God-myth, the simulation model/idea does not threaten you with an eternity in Hell, if you decide to reject it.

Have you heard of the experience machine?

Making it applicable to this discussion, would you still plug yourself in. If we were in a simulation? Even if you did not know if being unplugged was possible?

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Have you heard of the experience machine?

Making it applicable to this discussion, would you still plug yourself in. If we were in a simulation? Even if you did not know if being unplugged was possible?

I don't think that any future man-made simulation technology, that you could be "plugged into" would be able to imprison a persons consciousness.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I don't think that any future man-made simulation technology, that you could be "plugged into" would be able to imprison a persons consciousness.

Apparently it's doing now according to you!

But anyways, you didn't really answer my question.

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

Apparently it's doing now according to you!

Nope. I'm a part of the simulation. Not plugged into it.

But anyways, you didn't really answer my question.

Yes I'd give it a shot. This world sucks! Hard to imagine that anything could be more silly, biased and ignorant than this world.

• Haha 1

You don't know how, why or what purpose this 'simulation' has, thus your as likely to plugged in than not.

Once you unplug, you'll know the experiences gone through were fake, would you be happy with that? I would not.

12 hours ago, danydandan said:

Probably not.

On 21/9/2018 at 8:43 AM, danydandan said:

You don't know how, why or what purpose this 'simulation' has, thus your as likely to plugged in than not.

True, but if I'm plugged in, so is everybody else, and I find it unlikely that over 7 billion people "out there" are attached to the same machine. It's much more likely that we all are a part of it.

Once you unplug, you'll know the experiences gone through were fake, would you be happy with that?

That would be a pleasant surprise! My first reaction would be: So all that absurd sh!t was fake? Thank goodness! :D

Btw: If I can't call "the simulation model" a hypothesis, then we'll need a new name for string theory as well. That's also unfalsifiable. ;)

Edited by sci-nerd

15 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

True, but if I'm plugged in, so is everybody else, and I find it unlikely that over 7 billion people "out there" are attached to the same machine. It's much more likely that we all are a part of it.

That would be a pleasant surprise! My first reaction would be: So all that absurd sh!t was fake? Thank goodness! :D

Btw: If I can't call "the simulation idea" a hypothesis, then we'll need a new name for string theory as well. That's also unfalsifiable. ;)

I certainly agree with the string theory bit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/09/2018 at 10:58 AM, danydandan said:

Yep....

A stupid analogy if I may be so bold:

someone claims to have seen bigfoot bashing a tree stump with a stick.. Folk are wondering why- is it playing music or a form of communication??

What is scientifically testable here= @sci-nerd

• 8 months later...

Our senses are the simulation. Our senses are partial input and are an interpretation, an aproximation, a simulation of that partial input of the raw stimulus of absolute reality.

We do not perceive the universe as it is. We perceive only the range of frequencies tuned to our senses. Our experience of reality is personal.