Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy, 12, 'tries to shoot teacher in face'

Still Waters

A 12-year-old US boy accused of walking into a classroom with a handgun, pointing it at his teacher and pulling the trigger is in custody on a charge of attempted murder.

The gun did not go off as the safety catch was on. The teacher then managed to talk him down and disarm him, court papers say.

The incident happened at a junior high school in Iowa on 31 August.

The school was put on lockdown and police seized the gun.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45481527

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

The state of society scares me.  How did he come up with this plan, how did he get his hands on the gun....just ridiculous 

• Like 7

nothing surprising,  media talks about school shootings almost every day, mental health of our kids declines pretty fast. combine those two, a child's desire to be cool "bad"  "outlaw" "rebel",  (cuz kids know from early age, being nice does not get you anywhere, despite parents tell otherwise, )  and you get school shootings.

• Like 7

His parents want custody back, saying they got rid of all their other guns, will have him undergo mental health treatment, will have him wear a GPS tracker and will home school him.  Ah, the naivety of those with privilege.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

didn't hear about this yet. My guess is this will go on as long as we have guns in reach of disturbed kids. They've seen the media turn a few others into giants and for some losers or those who have been made to feel like losers it's . It's suicide with revenge and fame(they hope), even if they live and get life in prison. 

It might help if the media just called them disturbed kids without making their names public, focus on the injured and deceased and move on quickly. I'd like to think the parents or anyone who allowed access to a gun without their presence gets a portion of that book thrown at them too. If you can afford "guns" you can afford to keep the spares locked away. eta, especially with teenage boys around.

Edited by Varelse
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, aztek said:

and what privilege would that be? having a kid? guns?

They think they are going to get their kid back even though he attempted murder.

Their thoughts and reasoning behind it are indicative of people who have led a sheltered and coddled lifestyle.  Reality and responsibility is hitting them in the face and giving them a rude wake up.

• Like 5

Just now, Gromdor said:

They think they are going to get their kid back even though he attempted murder.

Their thoughts and reasoning behind it are indicative of people who have led a sheltered and coddled lifestyle.  Reality and responsibility is hitting them in the face and giving them a rude wake up.

lots of parents would do that, we have entire" blue line" doing it daily,  but that does not answer what privilege were you talking about?

Edited by aztek
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

lots of parents would do that, we have entire" blue line" doing it daily,  but that does not answer what privilege were you talking about?

Privilege in meaning that they are special and can have exceptions not available to the bulk of Americans.  I thought it was pretty obvious in their request.

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

Privilege in meaning that they are special and can have exceptions not available to the bulk of Americans.  I thought it was pretty obvious in their request.

is that you definition of privilege????

• Confused 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

I'm sorry if my child took my handgun and was sent to jail I would feel that I had done something wrong for not seeing the signs of my child feeling the need to do so. I would also try my hardest to regain custody.  It's not being privileged, it's being a parent. What parent would not want to help their child ? The suggestions they gave were bargaining chips to insure to the court that their child would be well supervised while not incarcerated and nothing more. Not because they couldnt see the gravity of what their child did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, aztek said:

is that you definition of privilege????

priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
noun: privilege; plural noun: privileges
  1. 1.
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

From the dictionary.  The parents clearly wanted a special immunity for their child in this case with some amusing logic behind it.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, InconceivableThoughts said:

I'm sorry if my child took my handgun and was sent to jail I would feel that I had done something wrong for not seeing the signs of my child feeling the need to do so. I would also try my hardest to regain custody.  It's not being privileged, it's being a parent. What parent would not want to help their child ? The suggestions they gave were bargaining chips to insure to the court that their child would be well supervised while not incarcerated and nothing more. Not because they couldnt see the gravity of what their child did.

The privilege part comes in when you think you have any chance of doing so given the child's crime. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:
priv·i·lege
ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
noun: privilege; plural noun: privileges
  1. 1.
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

From the dictionary.  The parents clearly wanted a special immunity for their child in this case with some amusing logic behind it.

but they never got it,  just asking to let kid go is something almost every parent would do. it is not a privilege

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/11/2018 at 11:49 AM, glorybebe said:

The state of society scares me.  How did he come up with this plan, how did he get his hands on the gun....just ridiculous 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

but they never got it, so where is the privilege? just asking to let kid go is something almost every parent would do. has nothing to do with any privilege

Why are you so so hung up on the definition of privilege for anyways.  If I knew that then perhaps I can see what you are trying to get at.

I only used the word because I couldn't think of a better one to describe the silliness of their request.  "I'm sorry if my kid tried to shoot someone in the face.  I got rid of my guns and will home school him.  That's good enough, right?"

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

Why are you so so hung up on the definition of privilege for anyways.  If I knew that then perhaps I can see what you are trying to get at.

I only used the word because I couldn't think of a better one to describe the silliness of their request.  "I'm sorry if my kid tried to shoot someone in the face.  I got rid of my guns and will home school him.  That's good enough, right?"

privilege is something people get,  just asking for it isn't, i do have issue with word privileged now, it mostly used to describe "white privilege", which is nothing but a lie to  attack whites, i see it as racist. 5 years ago i would not even notice it, but today i do,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I dont understand when you even say silliness.... while the question might seem rhetorical in your mind, it's not silly.  Parents wanting their kids is never silly in any circumstance.

• Confused 1

He has been ordered to remain in state custody at a juvenile detention centre for the time being.

Time being? He should be kept away from society for many years. 

19 hours ago, Gromdor said:

His parents want custody back, saying they got rid of all their other guns, will have him undergo mental health treatment, will have him wear a GPS tracker and will home school him.  Ah, the naivety of those with privilege.

Not their call anymore. They should have kept their guns locked and i doubt this kid developed mental problems over night. Wonder how much attention they gave him, he obviously had a problem with the teacher, why did he not tell his parents and let them deal with it, he was only 12.

Too many parents are ignoring their childrens welfare, so the boy should not go back to them, especially if this is the result of their parenting skills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, InconceivableThoughts said:

I dont understand when you even say silliness.... while the question might seem rhetorical in your mind, it's not silly.  Parents wanting their kids is never silly in any circumstance.

Parents? This boy was only 12 and the result (so far)  of their parenting skills is him getting hold of a gun and walking into school with the intention of murdering the teacher.

The boy needs to be evaluated...for many years before he can be allowed back among society.

The parents need help with this boy, they obviously can not do it on their own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, InconceivableThoughts said:

A fellow supervisor at work had some issues with his 15yr old recently.  The kid was messing around with his friends and pulled out a pocket knife and said, "Give me a sip of your soda."  It was all messing around, but it was witnessed by people walking by.  Kid gets taken away and goes into juvenile detention for 6 weeks.  My co-worker was noticeably upset about the whole deal and wanted his kid back, but never once did he attempt to do the lame and silly thing these parents try to do for their child.

The whole line of reasoning these parents displayed over this child being charged for the most heinous of crimes is not that of the normal populace.  It's more along the lines of reasoning of someone living in a fairy tail world.  Hence the, "privileged" comment.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

privilege is something people get,  just asking for it isn't, i do have issue with word privileged now, it mostly used to describe "white privilege", which is nothing but a lie to  attack whites, i see it as racist. 5 years ago i would not even notice it, but today i do,

Now that Aztek brought up "white privilege", it does strike parallels to the same thought process surrounding that college rapist Brock Turner: https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-stanford/index.html

The kid in this case hasn't had his name revealed, so we don't know his race.  The ancillary facts and Aztek's leap to defense makes me think he probably is Caucasian, though.  It would be amusing to see if your reactions are the same if this kid turned out to be the son of illegals or if he were black and moved in from Chicago.

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

A fellow supervisor at work had some issues with his 15yr old recently.  The kid was messing around with his friends and pulled out a pocket knife and said, "Give me a sip of your soda."  It was all messing around, but it was witnessed by people walking by.  Kid gets taken away and goes into juvenile detention for 6 weeks.  My co-worker was noticeably upset about the whole deal and wanted his kid back, but never once did he attempt to do the lame and silly thing these parents try to do for their child.

The whole line of reasoning these parents displayed over this child being charged for the most heinous of crimes is not that of the normal populace.  It's more along the lines of reasoning of someone living in a fairy tail world.  Hence the, "privileged" comment.

Now that Aztek brought up "white privilege", it does strike parallels to the same thought process surrounding that college rapist Brock Turner: https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-stanford/index.html

The kid in this case hasn't had his name revealed, so we don't know his race.  The ancillary facts and Aztek's leap to defense makes me think he probably is Caucasian, though.  It would be amusing to see if your reactions are the same if this kid turned out to be the son of illegals or if he were black and moved in from Chicago.

just asking for something is not a privilege, getting it is.

• Like 3