Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI picks up 72 signals from distant galaxy

UM-Bot

To go along with Pallidin it's Stay away from those crazy earthlings.  It could also be aliens looking for whales.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

It could also be aliens looking for whales.

We'll have to steal a Klingon ship and bring them one. :yes:

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So 3 billion year old "signals"? Thanks SETI.  Money well spent.

The first signal said - we will be over to see you in 3 billion years ... ;-)

• Haha 2

I don't belive any advanced alien civilization can produce a such radical amount of energy to be compared with that produced by the sun in a day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I don't belive any advanced alien civilization can produce a such radical amount of energy to be compared with that produced by the sun in a day.

I don't believe it is possible for anyone with such little scientific understanding  as you repeatedly demonstrate to determine what an advanced civilisation is capable of. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

The reality is that, within the laws of physics, it is impossible for anyone to determine what an advanced civilisation would be capable of.

A scientist from the 18th century would not have been able to predict nuclear reactors so how can we predict what a civilisation millenia in advance of us can achieve?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It seems the article was oriented to the improvement of algorithms to detect fast radio bursts though it mentions the potential of finding of artifacts of alien technology. While it is certainly presumptuous of me to speculate on the why and how of aliens reaching out to communicate, I might ask why use something as limiting as electromagetic sources when, for example, one could perhaps use gravitational waves to penetrate regions of space that electromagntic waves cannot while ensuring some degree of cognitive sophistication on the part of the recipients.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I don't believe it is possible for anyone with such little scientific understanding  as you repeatedly demonstrate to determine what an advanced civilisation is capable of. 

you forgot to put something on the end of that post Waspie Mate..

it needed this

Neil_deGrasse_Tyson_drops_the-6b234a52dc

On 2018-09-12 at 3:24 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That is exactly what my father used to say after watching x files 

Edited by qxcontinuum