Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An ancient cryptozoological artifact

Agishe

On 9/13/2018 at 12:37 AM, Piney said:

It portrays baboon hunting. :tu:

where would they hunt baboons?

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

where would they hunt baboons?

Where there was baboons ... DO KEEP UP 007!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I think this old art needs to be observed with a large grain of salt.   

Different people see things and draw things in different ways.   They could be baboons.   They could be "wild men".   If grooming was not part of a persons daily life, they would be very hairy.  If they were dark skinned and very hairy, they may be dpicted as looking like a wild ape man.  

I can't read much into this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with Myles that people have a tendency to dehumanize their opponents. They depict them as less than human and not deserving of the dignity afforded to people.

It is easier to defeat and kill non-humans than it is to defeat and kill peers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09.11.2018 at 2:25 PM, Myles said:

I think this old art needs to be observed with a large grain of salt.   

Different people see things and draw things in different ways.   They could be baboons.   They could be "wild men".   If grooming was not part of a persons daily life, they would be very hairy.  If they were dark skinned and very hairy, they may be dpicted as looking like a wild ape man.  

I can't read much into this.  

Partly agreed.
But this is typical of later times. Ancients have more naturalistic & pragmatic view of the world:

https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/metkids/2017/greeks-vs-amazons

Ancient Greek Hoplite Phalanx vs Persians
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/3e/29/623e29c8f08afa87db28d2936c5a8f0f.jpg

A Greek and a Persian warrior fighting
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/489555421968937086

https://www.alamy.com/egyptian-art-great-temple-of-ramses-ii-19th-dynasty-relief-depicting-the-victorious-pharaoh-ramses-ii-with-an-enemy-been-captured-19th-dynasty-new-kingdom-abu-simbel-egypt-image220340961.html

https://www.ancient.eu/image/7272/fallen-foe-of-assyrians/

Edited by Agishe

The problem here is that this involves art. Just as I've seen uneducated statements about objects being UFOs that are well known art images I suspect that this thread is simply full of images that are well known by experts that understand the context within which they were made.

The pretend UFO images are not UFOs. I expect that these images do not show any cryptids.

The problem is that the images are presented without context. Where are they from? When were they made? How do they compare to other art produced in that culture. Till that time guesses are unlikely to be even remotely correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stereologist said:

The problem here is that this involves art. Just as I've seen uneducated statements about objects being UFOs that are well known art images I suspect that this thread is simply full of images that are well known by experts that understand the context within which they were made.

The pretend UFO images are not UFOs. I expect that these images do not show any cryptids.

The problem is that the images are presented without context. Where are they from? When were they made? How do they compare to other art produced in that culture. Till that time guesses are unlikely to be even remotely correct.

The human mind!  The human hand!  Whatever the human mind can think...the human hand can construct, whether physically or as a two dimensional depiction on a surface.  Humans created the art no doubt based on nothing more than their imagination.  Because...even ancient humans had imaginations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an Ancient Alien Carnival.....Step right up...:lol: Couple that with the fact that none of these photos are cryptozoological in nature.

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does every living thing other than humans have chicken pox in the first image???

On 14.11.2018 at 2:49 AM, Razumov said:

Razumov, maybe it will be better to post fewer pictures, but with a comment on what, where, when?

Do you have anything really rare?

On 12.11.2018 at 12:27 AM, Myles said:

Isn't there a person with wings in this photo?

Could you please indicate more precisely?

On 11/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, Razumov said:

Ulisse_aldrovandi_monstrorum_historia_pe

21350.jpg

Gda%C5%84sk_Mary_Magdalene.jpg

1c92171cfc5f8a412090ffe3eca05ee6.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-07-18-at-21.46.33.png

If this is supposed to be proof of something, I take it you haven't read the accompanying texts on them... written by the people who commissioned them?

If you had, you wouldn't be trying to pass them off as cryptids.  Unless you were trying to prove that the first ones certainly weren't cryptids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

If this is supposed to be proof of something, I take it you haven't read the accompanying texts on them... written by the people who commissioned them?

I thought the last three was just Mary Magdalene in a hair shirt, as she's often portrayed.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Piney said:

I thought the last three was just Mary Magdalene in a hair shirt, as she's often portrayed.

I always wondered about hair shirts...I know they're supposed to be a penance but...they just sound itchy. What's the deal?

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Yep... at least two of them are.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Thanks 1