Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US school brings back paddling as punishment

Still Waters

Students attending an east Georgia public charter school could be spanked with a wooden paddle if they misbehave.

Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics, which houses kindergarten through 9th grade, introduced  a new paddling policy this school year, local TV station WRDW/WAGT first reported, and some parents have already agreed to allow school staff to strike their child as a form of discipline.

If parents do not allow the school to paddle their child, that child could face up to five days of suspension. 

Superintendent Jody Boulineau told USA TODAY the paddling policy is in effect but would not comment on if any students have faced the punishment. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/12/paddling-school-georgia-charter-spank-students/1276729002/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Time to put all firearms in the household under double lock and key

~

• Like 2

I have said for years that we went so far away from being allowed to discipline our children that it was going to swing back to physical discipline.  A lot of children have been taught tgey are special so they are allowed to act on any way they want.  Now, we have to enforce the realization that they are are just obe of many and if they can't behave in society, there will be repercussions.

• Like 4

Children imitate adults.  We should be paddling those adults, while the children watch and learn what comeuppence means.

• Like 2

I am shocked that this is legal and  even more shocked that a school district would adopt this policy in a litigious society.

That said US schools have yuuuuge discipline problems particularly in the bigger cities.

• Like 1

I've had my bottom paddled quite a few times in school. After awhile, it just didn't bother me that much, butt soon learned the fine line I was allowed to get away with whatever rules there were.

• Like 1