Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

National Solar Observatory: What's Going On?

FensterZero

Always helps to provide a link (from a reasonably reliable news source) so people know what you are talking about

An observatory in a small New Mexico town has been forced to close amid very suspicious circumstances.

The National Solar Observatory in Sunspot was closed a week ago, as was the town's post office, for reasons reported to be security-related.

The local sheriff's office is in the dark as much as anyone, with Otero County Sheriff Benny House telling ABC 7: "The FBI is refusing to tell us what's going on.

"We've got people up there (at Sunspot) that requested us to standby while they evacuate it, nobody would really elaborate on any of the circumstances as to why.

"The FBI were up there. What their purpose was nobody will say."

https://news.sky.com/story/mystery-closure-of-observatory-and-fbi-presence-in-sunspot-new-mexico-11496171

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

NSO website: https://www.nso.edu/

My immediate thought is that they have received a suspicious (contaminated?) parcel by post (hence post office closed as well)?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

That's directly east of Holloman Air Force Base by the way, and within line of sight of White Sands Missile Range (though I think every peak nearby is line of sight of WSMR.)

News vaguely describes it as a "security issue" and people being seen working on antennas/towers.

So it is possible they are installing some kind of monitoring equipment on the towers. Or it is possible that a foreign power installed espionage equipment on those towers and the feds are there to remove it. 

Either way this should be good fodder for the conspiracy crowd. :alien:

• Like 6

I live in NM, and have been following this story for almost a week now. Weird. Very weird. And I doubt there will ever be answers. Here's the link for the local news:

https://www.kvia.com/news/top-stories/closure-of-national-solar-observatory-remains-shrouded-in-mystery/793035021

• Like 6

Since they were around the antennas and it was a security issue, someone may have found a way to hack into the data received and steal or manipulate that data. Just an idea.

• Like 1

Just now, seanjo said:

What would "the Feds" be "doing" in a Solar Observatory?.

VERY Good question, 100's of things we can and can't imagine, what security issue can there be in a observatory?  i just do not buy their security issue, it is not like feds ever told the truth. i just have no reason to trust anything they say,

Just now, seanjo said:

As I said earlier, an evacuation says to me chemical spill or radiation leak due to equipment failure, maybe there is a suspicion of sabotage.

there is nothing there that would warrant evacuation of such large area.  gas analyzers, and giger counters are available to anyone, and i'm sure someone would know, if chem or radiation contamination was present, there is also not a single hazmat vehicle there.

Just now, Gromdor said:

One of the articles I perused did have a official quote citing, "Security Issues."

standard "fk off" answer, same as walmart's "plumbing issue" excuse after closing 5 stores

Edited by aztek

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

standart "fk off" answer

But it is more specific than just regular maintenance.  The did evacuate it as well: https://www.alamogordonews.com/story/news/local/2018/09/07/sunspot-observatory-south-cloudcroft-closed-due-security-issue/1227788002/

I'm leaning towards a "suspicious object or powder" theory.  Should find out in a day or so.  The public can actually visit it: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47221-d6628409-Reviews-National_Solar_Observatory_Sacramento_Peak-Sunspot_New_Mexico.html

So I doubt it is some secret government project thing. Click my second link and you can see a bunch of pictures of the place

Edited by Gromdor

People have brought up Chinese spying on White Sands or perhaps Holloman.  But also, at Spaceport America, NASA with UP Aerospace launched a test of ADEPT, a deployable, umbrella-like heat shield on Wednesday.  Maybe this was a sting to force the spies to rearrange their antennas from White Sands to Spaceport.  The act of doing that would be a give away.

Nothing to see here. Move along please.

ArtisticAlarmingChinesecrocodilelizard-s

• Haha 6

If it's security issues, Chemical or radiation. Why keep it from local law enforcement?

Word has it that there were 6 other observatories closed around the same time around the world.

Australia, Chili, Spain, Pennsylvania USA and 2 in Hawaii.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Word has it that there were 6 other observatories closed around the same time around the world.

Australia, Chili, Spain, Pennsylvania USA and 2 in Hawaii.

Links?

• Thanks 2