Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

National Solar Observatory: What's Going On?

FensterZero

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ahh.

well that puts us back to “something nasty came in the post” as an acceptable explanation.

That certainly is possible, but that facility borders the classified "White Sands" complex, and purportedly unauthorized persons were seen scaling the solar observatory communication towers.

Could have my info wrong, though.

On 13.9.2018 at 8:58 AM, Essan said:

NSO website: https://www.nso.edu/

My immediate thought is that they have received a suspicious (contaminated?) parcel by post (hence post office closed as well)?

It's very interesting that there supposedly was an "odd smell" in the area, as reported in the Youtube video Sunspot Solar Observatory: The Mystery continues - New Video emerges!.

From the video it seems like the entire facility was emptied completely. Very weird.

It may have something to do with White Sands - if that's the next door neighbour.

The supposed closing of a lot of other observatories may be little more than the typical "Some celebrity died from typhoid fever" fake news.

26 minutes ago, seanjo said:

That is probably the most sensible idea I've heard so far...Post offices use computers too.

I would think that these days, there are hundreds if not thousands of web cams out there (even within categories of uses – i.e. observatories to private use telescopes).  If that is so, then to have a handful down at any one time is just normal.

15 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Coincidence?

its odd that a group of solar observatories were all closed at roughly the same time. 

They weren't.  I think that bit is fake news ? 

• Like 1

Good news!  The FBI said the reason wasn't because of any extra-terrestrial activity.  So we don't have to worry about a solar mega flare incinerating the Earth at least.

Edited by Gromdor

All these comments are so sarcastic and typically unfun.
Kind of takes the enjoyment of disbelief.
React however you wish.. just know I won�t be seeing it, or give a rats ass.
Bored of the same ol self righteous pseudo experts.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, xratedmoralstory said:

All these comments are so sarcastic and typically unfun.
Kind of takes the enjoyment of disbelief.
React however you wish.. just know I won�t be seeing it, or give a rats ass.
Bored of the same ol self righteous pseudo experts.

What are you on about?

It’s been a pretty tame discussion, and seems like people on both sides of the fence are interested to see what the explanation is. 

• Like 2

"And six-winged ones issue with the angels before the sun's wheel into the fiery flames, and a hundred angels kindle the sun and set it alight"  Secrets of Enoch XI:6 

You never know!

Comically the first thing that came to my mind was the scene from the first Thor movie where SHIELD confiscated all of Jane Fosters notes and equipment.

• Like 1

What a beautiful area.  Lincoln national forest.  Really nice and quiet.  Good place to do something away from the public eye.  Could be anything.

1 hour ago, Gary Meadows said:

3 pages in, and this is all nonsense. You people are talking nonsense. Just nonsense. 

That’s some valuable commentary right there Gary, thanks. :lol: 

More useless than what you’re criticising...

On 9/15/2018 at 6:00 AM, Uber Doubter said:

It's very interesting that there supposedly was an "odd smell" in the area

Well, it IS in New Mexico... bad burritos perhaps?  Red or green chiles that went beyond their sell-by date?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Well, it IS in New Mexico... bad burritos perhaps?  Red or green chiles that went beyond their sell-by date?

Good New Mexico chile doesn’t have a sell-by date!  :wub:

• Haha 1

I dunno what the big deal is here.

Do people think that there would be a CME and the Observatory would deliberately conceal that information?

Don't you think that some other observatory would let the word out, for not other reason than to be the Tail that wags the Dog? B)

Honestly, it sounds like an employee or employees of the observatory were threatened via the mail. And that threat was taken seriously. Maybe someone has a history of domestic violence or something. Hopefully, it'll come out, though...Otherwise this will become yet another NM conspiracy mill.

I honestly don't know if NM chile has a sell or use-by date. I love the stuff and eat it way too fast to worry about it expiring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

sure, they always evacuate large area with every domestic violence threat,

@Seti42 was just sharing their opinion, which is not an unreasonable opinion at all.

When there’s a tangible threat, the response should also be tangible. 

It would have been nice if we got a detailed explanation from the start, but that’s not always possible. Surely you can appreciate that?

• Like 1

In New Mexico, it is either aliens or crime...

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/sunspot-employee-calls-facility-breeding-ground-for-crime/5072951/

But I must admit that it was fun while it lasted...

I guess this puts an end to it, or does it?  That voice of the so-called employee sounds a bit alien to me :rofl:

The aliens are here for the chile!

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 1

Just now, Timothy said:

@Seti42 was just sharing their opinion, which is not an unreasonable opinion at all.

When there’s a tangible threat, the response should also be tangible. 

lol, no domestic threat in history had surrounding area evacuated along with 2 post offices, there is absolutely nothing reasonable about it.

• Like 1

Can't be aliens of the space variety, since they could always go to Area 51. Something else is going on here. maybe they hve an issue with drug cartels or illegal aliens of the human kind around there.

Just now, HollyDolly said:

Can't be aliens of the space variety, since they could always go to Area 51. Something else is going on here. maybe they hve an issue with drug cartels or illegal aliens of the human kind around there.

they would bring ice,and would involve local police, but neither happened

Saw on the Telegraph site, that they also evacuated some residents in the area as well. They had back in August pretty much the whole town of Hondo,Tx west of me.Why because the Fbi and local law enforcement was after members of the Mexican mafia, which actually started in Texas in the prision system. So maybe human smugglers or drug cartels were operatiing in the area.

7 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

Saw on the Telegraph site, that they also evacuated some residents in the area as well. They had back in August pretty much the whole town of Hondo,Tx west of me.Why because the Fbi and local law enforcement was after members of the Mexican mafia, which actually started in Texas in the prision system. So maybe human smugglers or drug cartels were operatiing in the area.

Maybe Hondo and Sunspot is all part of a dragnet hunting down an alien on the run, say like Starman, or Klaatu, or even E.T.?  It could be a cross between “The Fugitive” and …